for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Login Everywhere with Apple?
#55287 07/20/20 03:54 PM
OP Offline

The internet isn't becoming a dangerous place to be; it is already a dangerous place to be.

I have a new appreciation of sites that allow you to log in using Apple login thanks to a letter I received from a doctor's office Saturday. The letter reported a data breach at their office, which exposed everything needed to steal your identification and offering a year of free ID protection including scanning the dark web as compensation. Since the service was free, I signed up, and a few hours later received my first report and it was an eye-opener! 😳

The report revealed, my identity has been exposed one to three times each year since 2013 by data breaches at companies I do business with via the internet. 🤬 The recommended safety measure in each data breach is changing the password for every account that uses that email address as a login ID even if they all use different passwords. As a matter of routine security, I do refresh passwords on the most vulnerable accounts periodically and I no longer re-use a password. Still, I have close to a hundred logins that use the same email address as the ID and changing all of those every time there is a data breach somewhere just isn't going to happen.

Although, to the best of my knowledge, I have not been directly targeted yet, it was at this point, I realized the benefit of logging in everywhere with Apple. Apple login provides multiple layers of hiding and protection and in the end the site receives a one-time, time-limited, password and hidden ID. A lot of sites offer Google or Facebook logon, but I haven't had a Facebook account in years, and I actively try to hide where I browse from Google so those won't do. For a while now, I have urged everyone to be cautious on the web. Effective today, I am urging the online sites I do business with to offer Apple logon.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Login Everywhere with Apple?
joemikeb #55288 07/20/20 04:21 PM

More disturbing than all those breaches is the fact that it sounds as if NONE of the entities that were targeted ever informed you. shocked

I hope none of them had critical, security endangering info.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #55291 07/20/20 07:00 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
I hope none of them had critical, security endangering info.

You mean other than name, address, telephone number, date of birth, social-security-number, spouse's name, children's names? There were a couple I had been warned about, but those involved credit card numbers. As near as I can figure out you get notified if your credit card or health information is exposed. Or in the case of a VERY ethical company/institution/individual, which I have reason to believe triggered the whole event in the first place.

Apparently the number of data breaches has risen sharply since Covid-19 came on the scene. (Too many people hackers in isolation with nothing else to occupy their minds?) But are not making the news either because Covid-19 and Trump's serial failures are sucking up all the air time or because the breaches don't involve enough people to be "newsworthy".

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55295 07/21/20 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I have a new appreciation of sites that allow you to log in using Apple login

I note that you're urging the sites you do business with to adopt Apple ID login. Any idea of the general trend with sites moving toward Apple ID logins? Is it fairly widespread?

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #55299 07/21/20 12:52 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: ryck
I note that you're urging the sites you do business with to adopt Apple ID login. Any idea of the general trend with sites moving toward Apple ID logins? Is it fairly widespread?

There is a recent trend toward third party logins and in my experience Apple is offered as one of the options on 1/2 to 2/3 of those sites, and that percentage is growing.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55353 07/23/20 07:24 AM

How do you know if a site allows Apple ID login? Do you get some sort of notice at the site?

What OS on iMac is required to use it?

Last edited by ryck; 07/23/20 07:25 AM. Reason: 2nd question

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #55355 07/23/20 08:26 AM

Purely coincidentally, I received a mailing from NYC today, and when I followed the included link I saw this.

I believe this is the first time I've ever seen an Apple login option.

More: The Apple login option was a surprising one, because the mailing states that "To access NYC TAP [I] must use Google Chrome or Internet Explorer 10+ on a PC running Windows 7 or higher," and I, of course, satisfy neither condotion.

Last edited by artie505; 07/23/20 10:48 AM. Reason: More

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #55359 07/23/20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Purely coincidentally, I received a mailing from NYC today, and when I followed the included link I saw this.

I believe this is the first time I've ever seen an Apple login option.

This morning I saw that the NY Times has one. At their log-in page, the reader gets:

(In a plain box) Continue with Google
(In a plain box) Continue with Facebook
(In a plain box) Continue with Apple

Or use your email (which requires a password)

So, I guess I've answered my own question.

Last edited by ryck; 07/23/20 02:25 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #55371 07/23/20 08:40 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: ryck
How do you know if a site allows Apple ID login? Do you get some sort of notice at the site?

What OS on iMac is required to use it?

Catalina is the only one I have tried it with.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard