for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Just as we were adapting to Thunderbolt 3
#55268 07/18/20 03:51 PM
OP Offline

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Just as we were adapting to Thunderbolt 3
joemikeb #55269 07/18/20 04:19 PM

Since this is an Intel product, the question is: How will Apple deal with it when they move away from Intel?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #55270 07/18/20 05:35 PM

....not to confuse Central Processor Intel product(s) with Peripheral Interface Intel product(s).

From the description linked previously, it doesn't look like the Thunderbolt 4 Peripheral Interface (an Intel product) will require an Intel Central Processing Unit.

The Apple SoC ARM CPU should be able to talk to the Thunderbolt 4 Peripheral Interface chip(set) just fine.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #55271 07/18/20 05:41 PM

Exactly where is Thunderbolt actually used?

My 2015 MBP had ports, but my 2019 MBP has got only USB-C ports.

My iPhone 5s has got a Thunderbolt port, but I believe that newer ones have got USB-C ports.

Will Thunderbolt 4 replace USB-C and necessitate our buying a whole new round of adapters?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #55272 07/18/20 10:30 PM
OP Offline

USB Naming is a disaster confusing, I have four Thunderbolt 3 devices connected to four USB C style ports on my Mac mini.

USB C is a standard for a port style, not a data transfer protocol. The USB data transfer protocols are numbered. The USB C port is used by USB 3.1, USB 3.2 (sometimes called USB 3.1 gen2), USB 4, Thunderbolt 3, and Thunderbolt 4. There are differences in the internal port connections but they are mutually compatible, the main difference with Thunderbolt 3 and 4 cables and connectors is sufficient shielding and wiring to handle the 40 Gbs speeds without either garbling the signal through crosstalk or emitting radio-frequency radiation. For more complete information see this excellent Wikipedia article.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55273 07/19/20 08:30 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #55276 07/19/20 12:29 PM
OP Offline

By-the-way, those USB C ports on your 2019 MacBook Pro are all Thunderbolt 3 ports and because the Thunderbolt protocol is a variant of USB, with appropriate adapter cables or connectors they are backward compatible with USB 3.2 to 1.0 devices. (On my Mac mini instead of calling it USB 3.2 Apple calls it USB 3.1 gen 2. As I said USB protocol nomenclature is a disaster mess.) I keep the Wikipedia article on speed dial so it is available for handy reference.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55277 07/19/20 03:16 PM

MacUpdate doesn't even use the term "USB-C;" they identify my ports as "Thunderbolt 4 [ports] - Thunderbolt 3 (up to 40 Gbps);" Apple tech specs identify them as "Four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports."

I use a USB to USB-C adapter to connect to my USB 3.1 Gen. 1 external and my ancient USB 2 thumb drive.

Since were on the subject of adaptors, it's worth mentioning that I bought mine from Amazon, which not only sells REAL Apple cables for less than Apple does, but got mine to me in 24 hours when Apple was promising no better than a week.

Last edited by artie505; 07/19/20 03:46 PM. Reason: Expand

artie505 #55278 07/19/20 03:51 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Since were on the subject of adaptors, it's worth mentioning that I bought mine from Amazon, which not only sells REAL Apple cables for less than Apple does, but got mine to me in 24 hours when Apple was promising no better than a week.

Yes, and I have also had excellent service from Anker products (Anker is sold exclusively through Amazon) at about 2/3 the price of Apple. AmazonBasic is even less expensive and worked well, while it lasted, but failed after a few months. Whatever brand you choose, just be sure it is certified Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 and rated at 40Gbps.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55279 07/19/20 03:58 PM

I'm happy to have gotten genuine Apple for 15% off and wouldn't consider an off brand at any price.

We pay top dollar for Apple computers, why scrimp to save a buck or two on cables?

joemikeb #55284 07/20/20 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Yes, and I have also had excellent service from Anker products (Anker is sold exclusively through Amazon) at about 2/3 the price of Apple. AmazonBasic is even less expensive and worked well, while it lasted, but failed after a few months. Whatever brand you choose, just be sure it is certified Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 and rated at 40Gbps.

I concur. I've been buying all sorts of Anker accessories for years now. The braided cables are much more durable than Apple's and I've never had a problem with any of their products.

David #55285 07/20/20 01:03 PM

Not that I'm a cable buyer, but out of curiosity, which ones are you calling "braided," and in what sense do you find them to be "more durable" than Apple's?

Also, do you have an opinion on Anker's adapters, which involve circuitry beyond their cables?

artie505 #55292 07/20/20 09:58 PM
OP Offline

Not that I'm a cable buyer, but out of curiosity, which ones are you calling "braided," and in what sense do you find them to be "more durable" than Apple's?

Since David hasn't replied yet, I will put in my 2¢. "Braided" cable refers to the outer protective sheath that surrounds the cable which in Anker's case is made of very tough braided nylon making the cable very difficult to cut, strip, or tear. They can turn the blade of a sharp knife. There is no "free lunch" so braided cables tend to be a bit less flexible, but they are ideal for any rough and tumble environment such as the cab of a working truck. One other thing, the braid is generally in a bright color which makes it very easy to find at the bottom of a working person's toolkit, purse, briefcase, whatever. Their ruggedness and visibility make them ideal for use in the cab of our motor home.

Also, do you have an opinion on Anker's adapters, which involve circuitry beyond their cables?

If you very carefully peel back the hard plastic covering of a lightning, or Thunderbolt connector and look with a decent magnifying glass you will find they have almost microscopic electronic circuitry embedded in the hard plastic. (There is more than one reason why Apple, and Intel, insist that cables must be "certified" to carry the Thunderbolt imprint.) That said, Anker has a solid reputation as a preferred provider of hubs and docks, power banks, chargers, wired and wireless headphones and speakers, cables and adapters. Over the years I think I have, or have had, one or more items from every Anker product line and I know that none of them has ever failed to perform.

NOTICE: I have no relationship whatsoever with Anker Products other than being a satisfied customer.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55294 07/21/20 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

Since David hasn't replied yet, I will put in my 2¢. "Braided" cable refers to the outer protective sheath that surrounds the cable which in Anker's case is made of very tough braided nylon making the cable very difficult to cut, strip, or tear. They can turn the blade of a sharp knife. There is no "free lunch" so braided cables tend to be a bit less flexible, but they are ideal for any rough and tumble environment such as the cab of a working truck. One other thing, the braid is generally in a bright color which makes it very easy to find at the bottom of a working person's toolkit, purse, briefcase, whatever. Their ruggedness and visibility make them ideal for use in the cab of our motor home.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. We use those cables in our cars: where we sit on them, step on them, tug on them, catch them on seatbelts… and I've found that they do stand up well to the abuse we give them. I got tired of frequently troubleshooting and replacing the more fragile Apple cables.

I've also purchased Anker chargers. One is a four port charger that we use for family trips. Another we keep at home to charge all of our contraptions and it even has a USB-C PD port for charging our daughters MacBook. They are also well built and versatile, needing only one outlet to charge and power multiple devices simultaneously. Largely, though, Anker earned my trust through the durable cables.

David #55298 07/21/20 12:33 PM
OP Offline

Check out Anker's headsets and earbuds as well. They cost significantly less than half of what Apple earbuds sell for and deliver sound quality good enough for all but the most discerning audiophile.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard