FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Partitions can get rid of?
kevs #55240 07/16/20 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
I may get caught with laptop running still Catalina for while (macbook airs not ready on (Apple SoC correct?)

If I recall correctly the MacBook Air with Apple SoC is scheduled for a late 2020 release along with the SoC MacBook Pro.

Originally Posted By: keys
BTW today, the laptop, even though on auto update, asked if I want to update to 10.15.6 I thought with auto update it just does that.. or maybe with longer ones,45 min they want an ok..

I think the key is whether or not a restart is required. If there is no restart the computer will attempt to make the install the next night. (Apple's words). If a restart is required it will ask permission either to go ahead with the install or wait until the next night.

Ok I understand, the endless march of progress, I do get perturbed with Apple sometimes as planned obsolescence is in their blood.

It is not just "in their blood" it has been a published corporate policy almost from the first day Apple opened for business. See this Apple Document.

When I was working for Microsoft I learned the enormous cost imposed by maintaining backward compatibility. While I never worked for Apple, when my wife rescued me from the dark side by buying a Mac, I quickly appreciated how being intentional about how long to support obsolete technologies enabled Apple to build superior hardware and software. They are not afraid of a clean sheet of design paper.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55241 07/17/20 12:38 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe, then like you I'll definitely wait for Apple So chip.
What SoC mean? Like Southern California??

Well my computers are not on at night, I do sleep them, so maybe that's why it's asking?

45 min.

My complaint is not just about supporting old computers, but even software gets worse. Even on Rick Beato's music you tube channel he was railing about itune and other Mac software what was so much better when Steve Jobs was alive.

And I was just forced this month to use my iphnoe for music while jogging as my superior ipod 5 no longer works with Mas OS. The ipod 5 was fabulous as it was last ipod to have touch click forward where you don't have to look at the screen to click the next song forward.

So I'm using the iphone now, but I have to say: itunes is so horrid on the iphone. The playlist get shuffled, and mixed up, and bungled and mangled.. very hard to deal with. Itunes on old ipods and itunes on imac was way easier and more intuitive and elegant in previous years. So on software they always to to make it different... People gotta do something for being there and getting paid!

kevs #55244 07/17/20 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
thanks Joe, then like you I'll definitely wait for Apple So chip.
What SoC mean? Like Southern California??

More like System On A Chip

Well my computers are not on at night, I do sleep them, so maybe that's why it's asking?

Unless your computers are powered off automatic updates take place. Once again I believe the trigger is the system reboot.

My complaint is not just about supporting old computers, but even software gets worse. Even on Rick Beato's music you tube channel he was railing about itune and other Mac software what was so much better when Steve Jobs was alive.

So I'm using the iphone now, but I have to say: itunes is so horrid on the iphone. The playlist get shuffled, and mixed up, and bungled and mangled.. very hard to deal with. Itunes on old ipods and itunes on imac was way easier and more intuitive and elegant in previous years. So on software they always to to make it different... People gotta do something for being there and getting paid!

For what it is worth, my playlists have remained stable through several Mac, two iPad Pros, and a number of iPhones, but all of my devices are synced through iCloud, which might make the difference. As to the rest, as Apple has spread to tens of millions of users across the globe the truth of the following quotation becomes more apparent...

Originally Posted By: President Abraham Lincoln
You can please some of the people some of the time,
all of the people some of the time,
but you can never please all of the people all of the time.

... my superior ipod 5 no longer works with Mas OS.

Unfortunately, at ten years of age, your iPod is, by official policy, obsolete and dropped off of the support queue. I have never been a fan of the iPod Touch and once I got an iPhone all my various iPods got shoved into a drawer never to be seen again.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55254 07/17/20 07:56 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, the Lincoln quote was not please it was written Fool some of the people.... but I get the gist.

I pod touch, I never bought or cared about the ipod 5 wss tiny click wheel wonderful, but toast now.

Final question: I think I'm going to turn off auto-update, as I'm still burnt out by the Catalina chaos.. don't want Big Sur quote yet,

I'm thiking:

1) Wait until the SoCal Macbook airs are available, then buy one. (thinking Jan/ Feb?)
2) Update to Big Sur on imac a bit before buying that laptop.

Sound smart? And issues migrating from my current 2012, laptop on intel, Catalina to the new Big Sure So cal laptop in Jan/ Feb?

kevs #55258 07/17/20 09:04 PM

Sounds like a good plan to me

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard