for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: External keyboard
roger #5414 10/28/09 01:29 AM

Hey, Roger... I didn't even see that you'd posted.

You must be a teacher!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #5415 10/28/09 01:40 AM

Quote:
Please send bundle link to rita montague at yahoo dot com.

Quote:
OK, I received the bundle. For whatever reason, when I dragged it to my keyboard folder I only got the gif or jpg or whatever. Nothing opened. So I clicked on it within my email and it opened and put icons on my desktop.

Quote:
I dragged the bundle from the email to my desktop. I got something called zip.gif

Sounds to me as if attachments cannot be moved from yahoo mail to your computer via "drag and drop." When you attempted to drag the bundle sent by artie, you were really simply dragging the image representing the attachment. [I just sent an email with an attachment to my yahoo account to confirm this, and that's just how it behaved.]

Clicking the attachment was the correct choice, as you discovered.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #5416 10/28/09 02:04 AM

I realized at some point that Rita was obviously not using Mail.app.

That's a pretty complex way with which to deal with an attachment, no?

Or are there some security or other advantages that I'm not recognizing?

Thanks.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #5418 10/28/09 02:16 AM

I don't think it's a matter of complexity; yahoo mail messages, at least on a Mac, can't be downloaded and handled within Mail.app, so using a yahoo account necessarily means webmail.

Since webmail is accessed via browser, the normal browser behaviors apply: dragging an image from a web page always moves just the image, in much the same way that dragging a filename from a web page creates a text clipping, and dragging a URL creates a .webloc file, even though clicking these objects may cause files to be downloaded or web pages to be loaded.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
artie505 #5419 10/28/09 03:12 AM
OP Offline

Whew just meant it was tiring to do all that work and then nothing!! I repaired permissions and restarted computer. Still nothing. Grrrr!

Rita

Originally Posted By: artie505
> I got the message" The item "Applekeyboardbundle" could not be moved because "keyboard Layouts" cannot be modified. It then asked for authentication for some reason even though it didn't work. I signed in my password. Whew!

Maybe it's like Artie said, his bundle is not compatible with my computer. But if the keyboard layout folder can't be modified, I don't see how I can ever get my computer to recognize the external keyboard. Darn!!

But doesn't the "Whew!" mean that the move was completed after you entered your password?

That's what should have happened; OS X first challenges you to make sure you have some sort of idea of what you're trying to do and then allows you to do it if you've also got an Admin password.

And, if so, you did modify "Keyboard Layouts;" did you then restart and repair permissions?

Worst case scenario... Pacifist!

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

dkmarsh #5421 10/28/09 04:31 AM
OP Offline

Hi DK:

There was no bundle in my keyboard layout folder. Even after I authenticated, it's still not there. Kind of at a loss.

Rita

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

If you double-click on your hard drive icon on your Desktop, you should see the following folders in the window that opens: Applications, Library, System, and Users. (You may well see other things in there as well, depending on your installation history and your usage habits; but you should see those four folders in any case.)

Within the System folder there's another Library folder; within that folder is a Keyboard Layouts folder. To move AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle into that Keyboard Layouts folder, you'll need to authenticate.

Before trying that, though, just take a look in that folder and see if there's already an AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle in there. If there is, the problem is likely to be something else, so it's probably wise not to replace that bundle with the one you got from artie.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

dkmarsh #5422 10/28/09 04:33 AM
OP Offline

So I'm not crazy after all!!! Thank you!!

Rita

Sounds to me as if attachments cannot be moved from yahoo mail to your computer via "drag and drop." When you attempted to drag the bundle sent by artie, you were really simply dragging the image representing the attachment. [I just sent an email with an attachment to my yahoo account to confirm this, and that's just how it behaved.]

Clicking the attachment was the correct choice, as you discovered. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #5423 10/28/09 04:38 AM
OP Offline

So, I dragged the bundle into the keyboard layout folder and clicked on it. I get the message I always hate getting: "There is no default application specified to open the document...."

Somebody hates me. frown

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

dkmarsh #5453 10/29/09 05:27 AM

Stuff with which I've never dealt; thanks for the explanation.

plantsower #5454 10/29/09 05:55 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
So, I dragged the bundle into the keyboard layout folder and clicked on it. I get the message I always hate getting: "There is no default application specified to open the document...."

Somebody hates me. frown

Rita

Nobody hates you, Rita; you're not supposed to click on the bundle!

All you have to do is get it into /System/Library/Keyboard Layouts.

When you drop it into that folder OS X should pop up "The item "Applekeyboardbundle" could not be moved because "Keyboard Layouts" cannot be modified."

It should ask you to authenticate, and after you click on "Authenticate" and enter your password it should drop the bundle.

After you see the actual bundle, itself, in its desired location you restart and repair permissions, and, assuming it's a compatible bundle, you're good to go.

Hope we're getting to the end of the road. smile

artie505 #5479 10/30/09 05:30 AM
OP Offline

I couldn't get the apple bundle thingy to work. Just got that application error message. I finally downloaded Pacifist. Extracted the original bundle. Got the message that I already had it. It must have been the one you sent. I replaced yours with the original just to be sure. Still doesn't work. Yep, I authenticated, restarted and repaired permissions. Still nothing.

I thought maybe if I downloaded the driver for the keyboard that might work, but can't find one for this particular keyboard. Guess it's too old.

Guess I'll stick with my wireless keyboard. Not my favorite but better than the iBook keyboard for serious typing.

Thanks for all your work and help. I really appreciate it.

Rita

Somebody hates me. frown

Rita

Nobody hates you, Rita; you're not supposed to click on the bundle!

All you have to do is get it into /System/Library/Keyboard Layouts.

When you drop it into that folder OS X should pop up "The item "Applekeyboardbundle" could not be moved because "Keyboard Layouts" cannot be modified."

It should ask you to authenticate, and after you click on "Authenticate" and enter your password it should drop the bundle.

After you see the actual bundle, itself, in its desired location you restart and repair permissions, and, assuming it's a compatible bundle, you're good to go.

Hope we're getting to the end of the road. smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #5481 10/30/09 07:21 AM

> Thanks for all your work and help. I really appreciate it.

You're welcome, Rita; I'm happy to have tried.

One last thing comes to mind...

Since you installed the bundle with Pacifist and still no joy I've got to think that something's working against you other than OS X.

My last suggestion is that you take your keyboards over to a friend's house and see if they work on hir PC; we've assumed from the start that they're functional, but that's never been proven.

Good luck. smile

artie505 #5501 10/30/09 10:43 PM
OP Offline

Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? My husband has a fairly new Gateway computer. I plugged the "Dell" keyboard into it and it recognized it immediately. Just for fun I plugged in the external Gateway keyboard, and it worked too. It must be my OS. Interesting!! Well, I guess there's no fixing it, but now we know the keyboard is good!!!!

Thanks, Artie. smile

R...

> Thanks for all your work and help. I really appreciate it.

You're welcome, Rita; I'm happy to have tried.

One last thing comes to mind...

Since you installed the bundle with Pacifist and still no joy I've got to think that something's working against you other than OS X.

My last suggestion is that you take your keyboards over to a friend's house and see if they work on hir PC; we've assumed from the start that they're functional, but that's never been proven.

Good luck. smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #5503 10/31/09 06:21 AM

> Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? My husband has a fairly new Gateway computer. I plugged the "Dell" keyboard into it and it recognized it immediately. Just for fun I plugged in the external Gateway keyboard, and it worked too. It must be my OS. Interesting!! Well, I guess there's no fixing it, but now we know the keyboard is good!!!!

I guess that's something, despite the fact that it's counter-productive.

Last gasp...

Try an Archive & Install. (Be certain to check the "Preserve User and Network Settings" box if such is your intention and to back up any data you can't afford to lose.)

Boot from your install disc, and run Utilities>Disk Utility>"Repair Disk" before running A & I, but do not run A & I until DU has returned a clean bill-of-health; if it repairs anything, rerun it "n" times until it no longer does so. (DiskWarrior, TechTool Pro, and DriveGenius are all preferable to DU.)

An A & I is generally quick and painless, but the specifics of your installation may complicate it.

Once again, good luck! smile

plantsower #5513 10/31/09 02:29 PM

I think we all may have missed something quite simple here.....what if the converter/adapter (you know, the thingy that is s'posed to convert the connection for the NON USB keyboard into a USB interface that the Mac can recognize)....what if that thingy isn't working properly with the Mac OS?

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #5514 10/31/09 02:58 PM

I wish I had said that! good thought!!

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
artie505 #5517 10/31/09 06:53 PM
OP Offline

I've done an A&I in the past. It was a pain but necessary at the time. I can't remember why I did it, but it was a much bigger deal than an external keyboard not working, so I was motivated.

I will keep this in mind but am not wanting to do that just yet. It's a pain and I'm feeling lazy about it. The A&I wasn't quick and painless to me, but that's because I was scared I was going to screw something up.

I read yesterday on the community Apple forum that some external keyboards just don't work with Macs. Maybe that's it.

Thanks again, Artie. smile

Rita

> Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? My husband has a fairly new Gateway computer. I plugged the "Dell" keyboard into it and it recognized it immediately. Just for fun I plugged in the external Gateway keyboard, and it worked too. It must be my OS. Interesting!! Well, I guess there's no fixing it, but now we know the keyboard is good!!!!

I guess that's something, despite the fact that it's counter-productive.

Last gasp...

Try an Archive & Install. (Be certain to check the "Preserve User and Network Settings" box if such is your intention and to back up any data you can't afford to lose.)

Boot from your install disc, and run Utilities>Disk Utility>"Repair Disk" before running A & I, but do not run A & I until DU has returned a clean bill-of-health; if it repairs anything, rerun it "n" times until it no longer does so. (DiskWarrior, TechTool Pro, and DriveGenius are all preferable to DU.)

An A & I is generally quick and painless, but the specifics of your installation may complicate it.

Once again, good luck! smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

MacManiac #5518 10/31/09 06:54 PM
OP Offline

If that's true, anything I can do about it? Thanks.

Rita

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
I think we all may have missed something quite simple here.....what if the converter/adapter (you know, the thingy that is s'posed to convert the connection for the NON USB keyboard into a USB interface that the Mac can recognize)....what if that thingy isn't working properly with the Mac OS?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

MacManiac #5520 10/31/09 09:00 PM

> I think we all may have missed something quite simple here.....

Duuuh... Forgot all about the durn thing! blush

On the other hand, though, l did think to suggest trying the keyboards on another machine... After 8 days. shocked

An interesting phenomenon I've noticed over the years is that it pays to drag a thread out, because sooner or later a fresh thinker will find it.

plantsower #5521 11/01/09 12:44 PM

Rita

I just did a quick Google search and found something that suggested that you might have a driver problem; take a look at the signal converter manufacturer's site, and see if you find anything helpful.

artie505 #5525 11/01/09 09:12 PM
OP Offline

I have an email into them (Adessa) to see what gives. I noticed that on Amazon there were a few people who could use it with their Mac Mini. I'll let you know. It does say on the Adessa website that it's good for Windows 98 and up. No mention of macs though they have other products for Macs.

Rita

I just did a quick Google search and found something that suggested that you might have a driver problem; take a look at the signal converter manufacturer's site, and see if you find anything helpful.

Last edited by plantsower; 11/01/09 09:14 PM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #6129 11/28/09 01:01 AM

While this thread seems to have resolved itself, there are two things to note. Adessa has made, and still does make Mac compatible keyboards. If the keyboard they offer is USB, it should work on a Mac. The extra keys and "functions" may not.

A KVM switch will that accepts PS2 plug keyboards and mates to a USB input on the computer may also solve the keyboard incompatiblity. I did just that when I set up my old G5 tower for my wife's use. She uses a Thinkpad with an old external Dell Quietkey PS2 plug keyboard. The switch functions flawlessly.

There are 3 kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Sturner #6172 11/29/09 01:47 AM

I've seen the option and command keys get swapped through a KVM but most other things work fine. Don't expect media keys to work.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
plantsower #6182 11/29/09 02:19 AM

> I have an email into them (Adessa) to see what gives. I noticed that on Amazon there were a few people who could use it with their Mac Mini. I'll let you know. (Emphasis added)

Since this thread has floated to the top... You haven't updated us.

artie505 #6197 11/29/09 07:41 AM
OP Offline

Artie: Are you talking to me? Rita

> I have an email into them (Adessa) to see what gives. I noticed that on Amazon there were a few people who could use it with their Mac Mini. I'll let you know. (Emphasis added)

Since this thread has floated to the top... You haven't updated us.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard