FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
External keyboard
#5219 10/22/09 10:41 PM
OP Offline

I recently bought an old Gateway keyboard to connect to my iBook. I bought a USB signal converter because the regular USB converted did zilch. It recognizes that I plugged in a keyboard but it can't identify it. I followed the directions for it to identify the keyboard but it still can't seem to find it. Any other ideas? I also bought an old Apple keyboard but the adapter was way too expensive for the $1.00 keyboard so that was a waste.

Thanks.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: External keyboard
plantsower #5244 10/23/09 06:32 PM

Mac OS X can identify MOST USB keyboards. I've never seen a keyboard fail to identify, but have seen a couple mice have issues. (wireless multifunction mice with dongles, usually)

Try another keyboard. You just happened to find that 1 in 100 that doesn't work.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #5245 10/23/09 07:45 PM
OP Offline

Good idea. They are only $1.00 at the thrift store. Next time I go I will get another one, but not a Gateway!! smile

Rita

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Mac OS X can identify MOST USB keyboards. I've never seen a keyboard fail to identify, but have seen a couple mice have issues. (wireless multifunction mice with dongles, usually)

Try another keyboard. You just happened to find that 1 in 100 that doesn't work.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #5347 10/26/09 10:40 PM
OP Offline

I'm back! I went to the thrift shop and this time bought a Dell QuietKey external keyboard. Still no dice. I used the USB adapter. When that didn't work, I used the signal adapter. Still not working.

Is there another step I'm not getting? I get the window that says that it cannot be identified and to press the "z" key next to the shift key so it can search. Nothing happens. This is so frustrating. confused

Also, when I first attach the signal adapter, the lights for the number lock, caps lock and scroll lock flash once and then go out not to come on again.

Could it be that the iBook is just picky?

Thanks.

Rita

Last edited by plantsower; 10/26/09 10:43 PM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #5348 10/27/09 12:45 AM
OP Offline

I have two empty keyboard layout folders. Could that be the problem? Not sure why they are empty.

Would downloading a driver for my external keyboard help?

Thanks.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #5354 10/27/09 05:58 AM

> I have two empty keyboard layout folders.

My Early 2009 White MacBook/2.0GHz Core 2 Duo/OS X 10.5.7 shows this:

/Library/Keyboard Layouts is empty

/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle

Google hits indicate that the absence of AKL.b is your problem and that copying it from another Mac will restore keyboard functionality to your Mac, but I can't vouch for the bundle's compatibility between all Macs and OS X versions, so you'll have to experiment. (OS X will ask you to verify with your password before it allows you to install the bundle.)

Alternatively, you can use Pacifist to extract the bundle from your install disc and install it.

Hope this helps. smile

PS: How do you even know that the $1.00 thrift shop keyboard you're about to buy is actually functional?

Last edited by artie505; 10/27/09 06:06 AM. Reason: Clean up/PS:

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #5385 10/27/09 05:41 PM
OP Offline

You're right, I don't know that the used keyboards are functional except that they light up when first plugged in. The number key stays on when I put it on but not the scroll or caps keys.

I don't have any friends with Macs, so I will have to give Pacifist a try.

Thank you for the info.

Rita

Originally Posted By: artie505
> I have two empty keyboard layout folders.

My Early 2009 White MacBook/2.0GHz Core 2 Duo/OS X 10.5.7 shows this:

/Library/Keyboard Layouts is empty

/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle

Google hits indicate that the absence of AKL.b is your problem and that copying it from another Mac will restore keyboard functionality to your Mac, but I can't vouch for the bundle's compatibility between all Macs and OS X versions, so you'll have to experiment. (OS X will ask you to verify with your password before it allows you to install the bundle.)

Alternatively, you can use Pacifist to extract the bundle from your install disc and install it.

Hope this helps. smile

PS: How do you even know that the $1.00 thrift shop keyboard you're about to buy is actually functional?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #5388 10/27/09 07:10 PM
OP Offline

I loaded up my install disk and rooted around until I found a library folder. Inside it was the keyboard layout folder which was EMPTY!!! Can Pacifist still help me, or will I be wasting my money.

Does that mean it's hiding in a bundle somewhere and Pacifist will root it out?

Is it possible for someone to send me the file or would that not work? I wasn't sure what you meant by getting it from a friend (of which I have none with Macs except on this board). smile

Thanks again.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #5389 10/27/09 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I loaded up my install disk and rooted around until I found a library folder. Inside it was the keyboard layout folder which was EMPTY!!! Can Pacifist still help me, or will I be wasting my money.

Is it possible for someone to send me the file or would that not work? I wasn't sure what you meant by getting it from a friend (of which I have none with Macs except on this board). smile

Thanks again.

Rita

1. "Loaded up" and "rooted around?" I'm not sure what you mean by that.

2. As I noted, you've got two Library folders; it sounds like you looked in /Library (which is empty on my deuced Mac(hina), too), rather than /System/Library.

3. I'm certain that Pacifist can help you, and don't worry about the money; Pacifist hits you with a 15 second delay while it asks you to purchase, but it is fully functional after the "nag" window goes away. (Enter "AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle" [No quotes] in Pacifist's search field.)

Also, please keep in mind that Pacifist is a wonderfully useful app, and that if it helps you out and you can afford the $20 you'll be making a contribution to the entire Mac community by supporting its developer.

4. I'll be happy to e-mail you that bundle, but, as I said, I can't guarantee that the bundle from my Early 2009 White MacBook/2.0GHz Core 2 Duo/OS X 10.5.7 will work with your iBook; I doubt that trying would hurt, though. (Post your e-mail address, and don't forget to disguise it so spammers don't get hold of it, e.g. rita at abc dot def.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #5392 10/27/09 09:23 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Artie. I will try your download first. Then go to Pacifist if I need to. Yeah, money is tight but if it works, I have no problems sending him the money. Please send bundle link to rita montague at yahoo dot com. Do I just click on it? Thanks. Rita

Thanks again.

Rita

2. As I noted, you've got two Library folders; it sounds like you looked in /Library (which is empty on my deuced Mac(hina), too), rather than /System/Library.

3. I'm certain that Pacifist can help you, and don't worry about the money; Pacifist hits you with a 15 second delay while it asks you to purchase, but it is fully functional after the "nag" window goes away. (Enter "AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle" [No quotes] in Pacifist's search field.)

Also, please keep in mind that Pacifist is a wonderfully useful app, and that if it helps you out and you can afford the $20 you'll be making a contribution to the entire Mac community by supporting its developer.

4. I'll be happy to e-mail you that bundle, but, as I said, I can't guarantee that the bundle from my Early 2009 White MacBook/2.0GHz Core 2 Duo/OS X 10.5.7 will work with your iBook; I doubt that trying would hurt, though. (Post your e-mail address, and don't forget to disguise it so spammers don't get hold of it, e.g. rita at abc dot def.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #5394 10/27/09 09:58 PM
OP Offline

OK, I received the bundle. For whatever reason, when I dragged it to my keyboard folder I only got the gif or jpg or whatever. Nothing opened. So I clicked on it within my email and it opened and put icons on my desktop. I dragged them to my keyboard layout folder. I then went to my keyboard/mouse folder in prefs and tried to get it to identify my keyboard but it wouldn't. I do believe both of my keyboards are fine because I rechecked them and they light up, just won't type.

I guess I will try Pacifist. I will let you know what happens.

By loaded up and rooted around I meant put the Install Disk into my computer and opened it. I looked at the different folders and clicked on them. One was a keyboard layout folder but, like I said, it was empty. Thanks for all your trouble. I'll get back to you with my Pacifist results.

Thanks, Artie. I will try your download first. Then go to Pacifist if I need to. Yeah, money is tight but if it works, I have no problems sending him the money. Please send bundle link to rita montague at yahoo dot com. Do I just click on it? Thanks. Rita

Thanks again.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #5395 10/27/09 10:19 PM

Hi, Rita,

>For whatever reason, when I dragged it to my keyboard folder I only got the gif or jpg or whatever. Nothing opened. So I clicked on it within my email and it opened and put icons on my desktop. I dragged them to my keyboard layout folder.

That wasn't either a gif or jpeg; it was the actual bundle.

And I don't know what"it opened and put icons on my desktop" means, because I didn't send you anything that is either openable or should have yielded "icons."

Try this... Drag the icon from my e-mail to your desktop; only one should icon appear there.

Then drag the icon from your desktop to /System/Library/Keyboard Layouts and authenticate when asked.

Then run "Repair Permissions" from /Apps/Utilities/Disk Utility.

Then restart your iBook and see what happens. (As I said, I've absolutely no idea whether my bundle will work with your Mac...different machine architecture, maybe different version of OS X, too; that part of it is beyond my experience.)

> I meant put the Install Disk into my computer and opened it.

I meant how did you open it?

Double-clicking on an install disc icon should not accomplish what you've described.

PS: I dunno... I just e-mailed the bundle to myself and tried doing what you've described, but I couldn't replicate your experience.

Keep us posted. smile

plantsower #5396 10/27/09 10:25 PM

what is a USB converter? are these not USB keyboards?

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #5399 10/27/09 10:48 PM
OP Offline

No, they are not usb keyboards. They have a PS/2 connector. They are round. They were pre-USB port connections.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #5400 10/27/09 11:01 PM

I just maybe had an insight... Do you see a file on your desktop called .DS_Store?

roger #5401 10/27/09 11:02 PM

Good Excellent point, Roger! blush

Last edited by artie505; 10/27/09 11:03 PM.

plantsower #5402 10/27/09 11:03 PM

ok. I wasn't quite sure how those worked with macs, but a little research at my end makes it clear they should. sounds like artie has the right of it, so if you follow his instructions and can get that keyboard bundle dragged into the right folder, you should be good to go!

stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
artie505 #5404 10/27/09 11:35 PM
OP Offline

First of all, about the install disk, I "opened it" by clicking on the icon. Poof it was open with folders in it.

Anyway, this is like talking to my husband. He gets a confused look on his face whenever I try to explain anything and after 3 or 4 times, he gets it. LOL!!

Ok, here’s what happened.

I am typing this as I do it so I don’t leave out any steps.

1. I dragged the bundle from the email to my desktop. I got something called zip.gif. That was it. Just a picture.

2. Then a window opened up giving me the choice to open it with Stuffit Expander. Then another icon popped onto my desktop like this: IMNdHpKi.zip.part.

3. I clicked “OK” on the window for stuffit expander option.

4. The bundle’s zip file downloaded. It put an icon on my desktop labeled AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle.

5. As you can see I wasn’t able to just drag it to the Library files as a lot was going on.

6. Decided to drag the aforementioned icon to the library files you mentioned.

7. Nothing happened. It did not ask me to authenticate.

I know this sounds stupid, but the only way I can find library is to go to User (my name), click on library and then click on keyboardlayouts. I cannot find the word “system” anywhere even with search. Maybe that’s the problem.

I give up. You’ve spent enough time with me. I will try pacifist when I get time.

Thanks for all your time. I'm going now before I burst into tears. I'm on the verge because I'm feeling stupid. confused

Rita

Hi, Rita,

>For whatever reason, when I dragged it to my keyboard folder I only got the gif or jpg or whatever. Nothing opened. So I clicked on it within my email and it opened and put icons on my desktop. I dragged them to my keyboard layout folder.

That wasn't either a gif or jpeg; it was the actual bundle.

And I don't know what"it opened and put icons on my desktop" means, because I didn't send you anything that is either openable or should have yielded "icons."

Try this... Drag the icon from my e-mail to your desktop; only one should icon appear there.

Then drag the icon from your desktop to /System/Library/Keyboard Layouts and authenticate when asked.

Then run "Repair Permissions" from /Apps/Utilities/Disk Utility.

Then restart your iBook and see what happens. (As I said, I've absolutely no idea whether my bundle will work with your Mac...different machine architecture, maybe different version of OS X, too; that part of it is beyond my experience.)

> I meant put the Install Disk into my computer and opened it.

I meant how did you open it?

Double-clicking on an install disc icon should not accomplish what you've described.

PS: I dunno... I just e-mailed the bundle to myself and tried doing what you've described, but I couldn't replicate your experience.

Keep us posted. smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #5405 10/28/09 12:01 AM

no, don't feel stupid, Rita, you're almost there!

there are actually three Library folders accessible to you: one, the one that you found, in your User folder, and then two more that are available to all Users. you can find them by clicking on your Hard Drive icon (maybe still called Macintosh HD), either on the desktop, or in the Sidebar of a Finder window. (now, it's possible that you have them hidden from view in both of those views, but I'm guessing not) we're looking for a folder called "System", and the Library folder within that. the Keyboard Layouts folder you want is in there. if you can drag the AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle into there, I think we'll have some success.

if you want to wait a day or two, that's completely understandable! sometimes I get so frustrated by not being able to do something I just want to scream! stepping away for a bit is a good thing! we'll wait!
cool

stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
plantsower #5407 10/28/09 12:16 AM

If you double-click on your hard drive icon on your Desktop, you should see the following folders in the window that opens: Applications, Library, System, and Users. (You may well see other things in there as well, depending on your installation history and your usage habits; but you should see those four folders in any case.)

Within the System folder there's another Library folder; within that folder is a Keyboard Layouts folder. To move AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle into that Keyboard Layouts folder, you'll need to authenticate.

Before trying that, though, just take a look in that folder and see if there's already an AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle in there. If there is, the problem is likely to be something else, so it's probably wise not to replace that bundle with the one you got from artie.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
plantsower #5408 10/28/09 12:17 AM

I just sent you the bundle again; it's the only thing in the e-mail.

You should see a kind of whitish isometric cube under which it should say: AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle (2.0 MB)

(I sent it to myself again, and that's what I got...again; maybe your e-mail program works differently than mine, but the item you described in 4. sounds like what you're looking for.)

Try again as I posted.

The bundle shouldn't open; it should just appear intact when you drop it in /System/Library/Keyboard Layouts.

> First of all, about the install disk, I "opened it" by clicking on the icon. Poof it was open with folders in it.

I've never seen such behavior and, to the best of my knowledge, it's simply not supposed to happen. confused

I mean you should see stuff like "Install OS X," "Additional Software," maybe something else; it all depends on your particular version of OS X and what type of disc you're using.

But you most assuredly should not be able to access the folders we've been discussing.

Everything from "OK, here's what happened." through 4. is foreign, if not alien, to me.

BUT...

> I know this sounds stupid, but the only way I can find library is to go to User (my name), click on library and then click on keyboardlayouts. I cannot find the word “system” anywhere even with search. Maybe that’s the problem.

There you go...

You're in the absolutely wrong place!

You need to double-click on your HD icon, after which a window will open that displays:

(/)Applications

(/)Library

(/)System

(/)Users

(The / is UNIX shorthand for path demarkation that I included for clarification; you will not see / on your screen.)

Clicking on /System will get you to /System/Library, clicking on which will display a bunch of folders, one of which will be "Keyboard Layouts."

That's the folder to which you're dragging... Not some folder in either /Library or /Users/Library.

> You’ve spent enough time with me.

I've got time to spare; I'd prefer to see you get this right on your own, just so you learn some stuff about your iBook and OS X.

> I'm going now before I burst into tears. I'm on the verge because I'm feeling stupid.

Don't do that, and there's no need to feel that way! smile

OS X is a complex beast that has left the best of us, one of which I in no way pretend to be, by the way, scratching our heads.

dkmarsh #5409 10/28/09 12:24 AM

I knew somebody would beat me to "Submit" before I finished editing my post.

> "I have two empty keyboard layout folders."

That's what led me my conclusions in the first place; I don't know how Rita found them if she couldn't find either /Library or /System. (I haven't got a Keyboard Layouts folder in /Users/Library; have you got one?)

> Before trying that, though, just take a look in that folder and see if there's already an AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle in there. If there is, the problem is likely to be something else, so it's probably wise not to replace that bundle with the one you got from artie.

Excellent advice!

And, finally, we're still looking at the possibility that those keyboards were in a thrift shop for reasons other than obsolescence.

roger #5410 10/28/09 12:42 AM
OP Offline

Hi Roger:

I don't know why but I couldn't find the system folder until I put it in "column view" and there it was!!! Anyway, I clicked on the system folder, then Library. I then clicked on Keyboard Layouts. It had several keyboards. It wasn't empty. So before I was looking at the wrong folder. Anyway, several choices came up. Some Chinese, etc. and I knew I didn't want those. I dragged the bundle Artie sent me to the keyboard layout folder. It caused another download to start. I let it finished. I dragged the new icon from the download onto the keyboard layout folder. I got the message" The item "Applekeyboardbundle" could not be moved because "keyboard Layouts" cannot be modified. It then asked for authentication for some reason even though it didn't work. I signed in my password. Whew!

Maybe it's like Artie said, his bundle is not compatible with my computer. But if the keyboard layout folder can't be modified, I don't see how I can ever get my computer to recognize the external keyboard. Darn!!

Rita

Originally Posted By: roger
no, don't feel stupid, Rita, you're almost there!

there are actually three Library folders accessible to you: one, the one that you found, in your User folder, and then two more that are available to all Users. you can find them by clicking on your Hard Drive icon (maybe still called Macintosh HD), either on the desktop, or in the Sidebar of a Finder window. (now, it's possible that you have them hidden from view in both of those views, but I'm guessing not) we're looking for a folder called "System", and the Library folder within that. the Keyboard Layouts folder you want is in there. if you can drag the AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle into there, I think we'll have some success.

if you want to wait a day or two, that's completely understandable! sometimes I get so frustrated by not being able to do something I just want to scream! stepping away for a bit is a good thing! we'll wait!
cool

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #5411 10/28/09 12:43 AM
OP Offline

Nope. Sorry!!

Rita

I just maybe had an insight... Do you see a file on your desktop called .DS_Store?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #5413 10/28/09 01:27 AM

> I got the message" The item "Applekeyboardbundle" could not be moved because "keyboard Layouts" cannot be modified. It then asked for authentication for some reason even though it didn't work. I signed in my password. Whew!

Maybe it's like Artie said, his bundle is not compatible with my computer. But if the keyboard layout folder can't be modified, I don't see how I can ever get my computer to recognize the external keyboard. Darn!!

But doesn't the "Whew!" mean that the move was completed after you entered your password?

That's what should have happened; OS X first challenges you to make sure you have some sort of idea of what you're trying to do and then allows you to do it if you've also got an Admin password.

And, if so, you did modify "Keyboard Layouts;" did you then restart and repair permissions?

Worst case scenario... Pacifist!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard