Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Coountdown to WWDC 2020
joemikeb #55092 07/02/20 08:00 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I suspect Airport Utility will remain viable until it is no longer compatible with MacOS/iOS/iPadOS but it is no longer under development, and to the best of my knowledge it is no longer supported.

After thinking about what I said, I went back and looked up Apple's Policy on Vintage and Obsolete Products which says
Originally Posted By: HT201624
products will be supported for five years after the product is no longer sold and seven years if parts are available
According to MacTracker the Airport Extreme 802.11ac and Time Capsule 802.11ac were dropped in April 2018 which means that they can be taken in for repair until April 2023, and after that, until April 2025 if parts are available.

I wouldn't count on parts being available after April 2023 and I don't think that also guarantees Airport Utility will be compatible with Big Sur or its successors.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55093 07/03/20 07:12 AM

I bought a backup Airport Express when Apple announced their discontinuation, so I'm OK as far as parts go, and I don't see how Apple could possibly not support Airport Utility for at least as long as they're going to support the hardware it manages...2023, as you said.

So I guess we're OK for at least three more years.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #55100 07/03/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Because of Apples experience custom designing ARM processors for the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, etc. — by far their biggest selling products — it is a natural fit and would enable Apple to optimize performance and features for MacOS as well as iOS/iPadOS.

You followed that with some thoughts about the advantages for iPad and then "Maybe not this year". As a birthday present, my wife has suggested it's time to replace my old MD520C/A iPad but, as I am a person who keeps stuff for a long time, would I bump into problems if ARM processors migrate to iPads two years out? The fact that I cannot any longer move to newer iOS's on the MD520 doesn't bother me as I don't do anything confidential on the iPad.

Last edited by ryck; 07/03/20 03:25 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #55103 07/03/20 03:59 PM
OP Offline

It is only Macs that are using Intel processors. Ninety percent of Apple's product line is already using Apple-designed SoC so the iPad does not need to migrate to ARM. iPads are already running Apple SoC and have done so since their inception. In fact, the iMac Pro used for the demos at the WWDC had its Intel processor removed and replaced with the A12X from an iPad Pro and was running Big Sur in native Apple SoC mode.

At this point, my question is how much of the original ARM design remains in the Apple SoC other than the instruction set?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55117 07/04/20 06:59 PM
OP Offline

Since the Big Sur version of Safari is available now as Safari Technology Preview I nave been using it as my day-to-day browser and so far I like it and it is performing quite well. One new feature is an icon on the toolbar that shows the privacy report, a listing of the tracking cookies encountered on the current web page. It is informative and can be a bit scary. In spite of the fact, I have all kinds of blockers at the DNS, router, system, and browser level, I browsed a site this morning that is hosted on Facebook and Safari Technology Preview detected no fewer than 14 trackers associated with that one site. No wonder my wife get upset when she mentions something in a Facebook post only to be almost immediately overwhelmed with ads, email, and even text messages touting similar products.

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard