Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sound output volume wont stay muted
#54924 06/16/20 06:06 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

This was a bug years ago. Seems back with Catalina. Super annoying:

I click mute, put slider to zero and in few hours mute in unchecked and slider is up.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/524zrzth/Screen-Shot-2020-06-16-at-12-04-26-PM.png[/img]

Re: Sound output volume wont stay muted
kevs #54971 06/19/20 09:00 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

This is in Apple mail, when hit return key big loud thump or swoosh sound, and just noticed now in facebook messenger same exact annoying sound return key. NEver pre Catalina. STumped.

kevs #54973 06/20/20 12:51 PM

This article from 2012 tells how to get rid of the swoosh sound when sending email using a Terminal command. It still works in 2020.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54975 06/20/20 03:25 PM

I've got "Play sounds for other mail actions" UNchecked in Mail > Prefs > General, and I don't hear the "swoosh."

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54977 06/20/20 06:16 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks guys, definitely not a Mail thing, though comes up in mail. Thump sound then when enter there, but in Facebook messenger that thump sounds when I use my app A text to trigger a expanded text..with any key.
Also right now in Chrome as click enter, but THUMP.

Hence global sounds nuincase. Long running Mag Torture bug; been free of it for few years and back with Catalina on desktop.

Sound, sound effects, play user interface sound effects, unchecked, system prefs. Out of ideas after that.

Last edited by kevs; 06/20/20 07:45 PM.
kevs #54978 06/20/20 08:48 PM

"Thump" is not a standard sound effect nor is there any sound effect that is close to a thump, but that may only be because that is what you have chosen to call the sound you are hearing and others may have a different interpretation of Thump.

From your description the origin would appear to be software related but in any case it is time for some good old fashioned troubleshooting not just guess-work. Since you have disabled the system sound effects you can check that off of the list of possible sources. The logical first thing to do is narrow down the solution space. The standard starting place for that is to boot from a clean test account and see if the thump is still present. If you do not have a clean test account you can create one by going to System Preferences > Users & Groups, clicking on the padlock icon at the bottom left of the window and entering your admin password then clicking on the plus sign (+) at the bottom of the window sidebar. Once the account is created login to the new account and try Facebook Messenger, Chrome, and/or Mail and see if you still hear the Thump. (NOTE: after the test you can boot back to your regular account and delete the test account by clicking on the minus sign (-) at the bottom of the System Preferences > Users & Groups window or you can leave the account in case you need it again.)

If the Thump occurs in the clean account that means the problem is systemic and not caused by something in your account, if it does not occur in the test account that would implicate something in your Unser account as being the source of the Thump. In either case, report back what happened and we can go on to the next troubleshooting step.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54983 06/21/20 07:54 AM

I just woke up to the fact that I'm hearing the same sound that kevs is complaining about, also with user interface sound effects turned off: it's system sound "Basso."

I hear it if I inadvertently hit command-H when focus is on my desktop, and I also hear it in Music and elsewhere.

It's a non-specific alert, and I"ll go along with kevs that its being audible is a bug...an annoying one.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54988 06/21/20 01:39 PM

FWIW I am unable to replicate the issue in MacOS 10.15.6.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54990 06/21/20 03:14 PM

Fingers crossed that it's been fixed.

artie505 #54993 06/21/20 10:08 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Artie, did you start hearing this post Catalina?

joemikeb #54994 06/21/20 10:52 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks JOe:

Before I do that test: Post Catalina, I getting bunch of issue on desktop not seeing on laptop:

word/ Excel: command N, not bring up new document.

Per Microsoft advice: I booted into Safe Mode, and issue went away.

(but I don't know why)

other issues:

Photoshop dekstop: wont import old preferences from previous version. Does import those ok on laptop

Parallels: wont drag items from Mac finder (that said not sure post catalina issue or normal issue yet)

Application wizard, asking for registration upon reboot (though getting that same issue from A text on laptop-- post catalina also

So real biggie is the Word/ Excel issue on dektop and weird thump sound issue..

And Word / Excel does not open document command N, which goes away in safe mode. Any idea why?

kevs #54995 06/21/20 11:03 PM

Sorry, kevs, I forgot to mention that the unwanted system sound began with Catalina (but I can't be sure which dot version). As per joemike, it may have been corrected in 10.15.6.

Command-N opens a new Excel doc for me, but your other issues don't deal with anything I deal with. (The safe boot may have fixed your Excel issue by clearing a cache.)

artie505 #54996 06/21/20 11:13 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Artie.. always nice to know you are not imagining things and others are suffering with you! Catalina beast.. more buggy OS in many versions... Will wait on Joe.

Word/ Excel and Photoshop issues are very real too

The audio thump as well...

kevs #54997 06/22/20 01:59 AM

I had actually learned to ignore the sound and wasn't suffering at all until you raised the issue and brought it to the front of my consciousness and I began paying attention and found that it happens all too frequently.

NOW, I"m suffering. mad (At the annoyance, not you.)

artie505 #54998 06/22/20 03:34 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Yeah, getting used it may be the way to go...

kevs #55000 06/22/20 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks JOe:

Before I do that test: Post Catalina, I getting bunch of issue on desktop not seeing on laptop:

word/ Excel: command N, not bring up new document.

Per Microsoft advice: I booted into Safe Mode, and issue went away.

(but I don't know why)

Rather than reinventing the wheel I refer your to this Apple support article on how to use safe mode on your Mac. if you follow the steps in that article and the articles it references you may be able to isolate and fix the problem. NOTE: when the article refers to startup items, that includes launch daemons, launch items, as well as apps in your startup list.

Originally Posted By: kevs
other issues:

Photoshop dekstop: wont import old preferences from previous version. Does import those ok on laptop

Parallels: wont drag items from Mac finder (that said not sure post catalina issue or normal issue yet)

Application wizard, asking for registration upon reboot (though getting that same issue from A text on laptop-- post catalina also

So real biggie is the Word/ Excel issue on dektop and weird thump sound issue..

And Word / Excel does not open document command N, which goes away in safe mode. Any idea why?

Just take things one at a time and remember when referencing Microsoft apps the version of the app makes a BIG difference so be sure and specify the version number.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55004 06/22/20 04:42 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks JOe, great, I have four apps in log in items. So just remove one test, etc.. they says usually start up items.. assume synonymous with log in items.

Then that does not work, unplug thing one at a time....?

kevs #55005 06/22/20 06:21 PM

Don't get the cart before the horse. Follow the instructions in the Apple instructions I referenced step-by-step. That will systematically narrow the solution space and hopefully isolate the source of the problem. Remember these troubleshooting axioms:
  • Follow the instructions step-by-step
  • Never make more than one change at a time
  • Don't get impatient

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55007 06/22/20 09:07 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Good news, I "think", the issue of Sound, as well as Word/ Excel command N, not opening new file went away by removing Keyboard Maestro from log in items.

joemikeb #55010 06/23/20 01:31 PM

I did some troubleshooting and found that the sound persists in my test user account (a different sound, though), but disappears with a safe boot, so it looks like it's source is narrowed down to either a launch agent or daemon. (Does that make sense?)

I guess I"ll wait for 10.15.16 and see if I get lucky.

artie505 #55015 06/23/20 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I did some troubleshooting and found that the sound persists in my test user account (a different sound, though), but disappears with a safe boot, so it looks like it's source is narrowed down to either a launch agent or daemon. (Does that make sense?)

Makes all kinds of sense to me and since LaunchAgents technically are user oriented and owned that would leave LaunchDaemons and kernel extensions (*.kext) as prime suspects. (However I am not convinced that all developers adhere to the generally accepted division between LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons 🤬)

If the problem is a third party LaunchDaemon or kernel extension it may not (probably won't?) be fixed in MacOS 10.15.6 or Big Sur.

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/23/20 04:08 PM. Reason: spell checker 🤬

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #55016 06/23/20 04:37 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm pretty sure, no 100% that Keyboard Maestro culprit. Guy use that? Yes fine for 10 years... now mayhem... Catalina or Word..?conflict?

kevs #55019 06/24/20 12:12 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

ARtie, sound thing came back and not Keyboard Maestro. So stumped still on sound issue. Fixes then comes back.

Think may be Atext, keyword expander, never had a issue before

Yes, think that is it, have a new forced checkbox for sound did not have before, why apps do this ? crazy.

Last edited by kevs; 06/24/20 12:18 AM.
kevs #55020 06/24/20 12:36 AM

I haven't had any luck troubleshooting yet, kevs, but I've adjusted my sound pref like so, and although I can still hear the sounds I want to hear, e.g. move to trash and empty trash, the unwanted sounds aren't near as objectionable.

So far, I've tried trashing Microsoft AutoUpdate and NoSleep, which is responsible for the only 3rd party kext I've got, but with no joy. I guess I"ll have to go through my launch daemons and see if I get lucky.

Have you got any of these guys in /Library/LaunchDaemons?

com.apple.installer.osmessagetracing.plist
com.bombich.ccchelper.plist
com.charlessoft.pacifist.helper.plist
com.daisydiskapp.DaisyDiskStandAlone.AdminHelper.plist
com.microsoft.autoupdate.helper.plist
com.microsoft.office.licensingV2.helper.plist
com.rogueamoeba.aceagent.plist

artie505 #55021 06/24/20 12:44 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I don't know anything about deamons and agents except they come up in activity monitor and take 90% cpu and are vague and have no idea what tied to..

But these two issue tied to small 3rd party apps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard