FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Two Catalina bugs new
#54909 06/15/20 05:21 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

1- If I copy from TM over to external hard drive, now annoyingly, says " finder wants to copy" and have to tediously put in my long passwords.. Crazy if you have to do a few dozen of these. Is way to tell computer yes and don't bother me again in future. I'm in house alone, ok.

2 This system folder, I can delete this correct?
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Gpdr97nf/SYSTEM.png[/img]
I have no idea what it is, not even on Mad HD, on data external drive.

Re: Two Catalina bugs new
kevs #54910 06/15/20 06:07 PM

1. DO NOT USE FINDER TO COPY A FILE FROM A TIME MACHINE BACKUP Instead enter Time Machine via the Time Machine icon on the menu bar then IN Time Machine, navigate to a point in time when the file/folder existed and then to the file/folder itself. Select the file/folder and click on the restore tab. If the file still exists in the present you will be offered the opportunity to
    • keep the original
    • Keep both
    • Replace
  2. then you can move the restored file wherever you would like it to be. Using time machine correctly should eliminate the annoying Finder requests.
  3. No, you cannot tell MacOS "I am the only one here", it wouldn't t believe you if you did 😜
  4. DELETE OR MODIFY ANYTHING IN THE SYSTEM FOLDER AT YOUR OWN RISK. Unless you have a perverse desire to reinstall your system I recommend that you first make a clone of your system and verify that it is bootable before attempting to delete or modify anything in the System folder. If you are running Catalina it will be interesting to see if that is even possible as the System folder is in a separate APFS volume that even users with admin privileges only have Read access to.

By-the-way as you may have noticed the the UBB img tags are not active here on FineTunedMac. The proper way to post a link to an image file would look something like this
Code:
…as seen in [url=https://i.postimg.cc/Gpdr97nf/SYSTEM.png]this image[/url]

which would appear as
Quote:
as seen in this image

Last edited by joemikeb; 06/15/20 06:19 PM. Reason: add posting tip

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #54911 06/15/20 06:50 PM

Just curious... How did you come across that system file in the first place?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54913 06/15/20 08:11 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe/ Artie

1) TM forget about that this is not TM, I well aware I'm doing that wrong, but mh TM DATABASE is already technically toast as I've been doing it wrong for so long...I've been doing both digging into TM and and doing the proper (slower) way for years. So when this hardrive is done, I'll start doing TM properly.

2) The issue at hand Finder, is not just TM I just discovered. It just came up now in normal finder. I went to make a new folder as I've done millions of times, and message came up finder wants to make a new folder. This is just unbearable. What can I do? And even worse, I cannot even name the folder. I click return to name it and nothing happens. What is this?

3) Thats' the point. That why I included screenshot. This "system" I don't think is a real system. What is it? Why is it on an external hard drive for data only. I'll just leave it be until someone says, yeah delete it. I have no idea why its there. There is no libary, no applications, something about keychain, x509 anchors in that.. and private framedwokd. Have no idea where this came form.
The normal real system with apps and full library is fine on my Mad HD.
Ah do notice, that keychains folder and private frameworks folder are not in the Mac HD system, maybe I should move them there? Have no idea.

Thanks!

Ah figured out part of new complaint, when I made new folder, I got folder from GO, recent folders, and sadly that feature which I've been loving for last year since I discovered, it, does not show a path, so the recent folder it pulled was from TM, not normal hardrive,

Last edited by kevs; 06/15/20 08:14 PM.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard