for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Recoverit.com by Wondershare
#54756 05/27/20 05:11 PM
OP Offline

Have any of you used this software? I am wondering if it is safe or just wants to see what's in my Mac. I'm so suspicious lately. I guess the ad blockers can also see into our computers. frown

R...

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Recoverit.com by Wondershare
plantsower #54757 05/27/20 06:34 PM

I don't do videos and haven't needed a recovery utility (other than Time Machine) in years, but I did find this Mac Observer review of Recover-it. There were several other reviews but they were on somewhat sketchy review sites. (By the way it is recover-it.biz not recoverit.com).

What makes you believe you have files that need to be recovered? If it is because of a popup in an email or from a web site, then Recover-it might be a legitimate product but the marketing tactics sound questionable at best.

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/27/20 06:38 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54761 05/28/20 02:44 AM
OP Offline

Actually, it has nothing to do with videos. It has to do with recovering files on the computer, in my case, a deleted email. Recoverit

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I don't do videos and haven't needed a recovery utility (other than Time Machine) in years, but I did find this Mac Observer review of Recover-it. There were several other reviews but they were on somewhat sketchy review sites. (By the way it is recover-it.biz not recoverit.com).

What makes you believe you have files that need to be recovered? If it is because of a popup in an email or from a web site, then Recover-it might be a legitimate product but the marketing tactics sound questionable at best.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54762 05/28/20 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Actually, it has nothing to do with videos. It has to do with recovering files on the computer, in my case, a deleted email. Recoverit

Hopefully a good question: Is the email you deleted on your MBP maybe still on your mail server?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54764 05/28/20 04:42 AM
OP Offline

It seems that when I delete them from Mac Mail they also get deleted from the server. Lucky for me, this time, it was in my Trash and I just missed it when I checked. But, yeah, once it's deleted, it's also gone from the server.

Originally Posted By: artie505

Hopefully a good question: Is the email you deleted on your MBP maybe still on your mail server?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54766 05/28/20 09:20 AM
cyn Offline
Administrator
Administrator

We used to get Wondershare spam posts at MacFixIt, I wouldn't let any of their products anywhere near my computer.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #54769 05/28/20 05:02 PM
OP Offline

OK, good to know. Thank you!

Originally Posted By: cyn
We used to get Wondershare spam posts at MacFixIt, I wouldn't let any of their products anywhere near my computer.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54770 05/28/20 05:34 PM

I haven't thought about file recovery utilities in years but TechTool Pro ($125.00) has a Data recovery function and Data Rescue ($105.00) is a decent file recovery utility. Truthfully both work best when they are running BEFORE the file is deleted (they keep a record of deleted files and even store them in a cache for easy recovery).

Used as Apple recommends, Time Machine has pretty much taken the wind out of file recovery products sales. It is builtin, costs nothing, runs automatically and transparently in the background, and is highly reliable and successful in recovering anything from lost or deleted files to entire systems.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54771 05/28/20 05:44 PM

Can the utilities recover trashed email...Rita's posted problem, or is that another vote for Time Machine?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54774 05/28/20 07:09 PM

I would call that a vote for Time Machine in my experience......

I made the unfortunate assumption (we know what THAT means) when upgrading the OS on my wife's MB Pro, that she couldn't possibly be storing THREE years of past Draft emails on purpose....and deleted them along with the 400 or more Trashed emails and the more than 50 Junk emails before performing the OS upgrade. After the fact, she informed me that it was "no big deal"....."she could live without them", etc. Understanding that what she MEANT was "what were you THINKING?", I set about to recover all 25 legacy draft emails from her Time Machine backup......successfully, in less than 15 minutes of effort.

My vote goes to Time Machine!!!!!

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
joemikeb #54777 05/28/20 08:56 PM
OP Offline

I don't know why I hate Time Machine so much except that I guess it just makes me look stupid. I can't figure out a good way to retrieve stuff. I look at it, and see all the files behind each other like paper in a file cabinet and just don't like how it works.
Besides, I still have to use an external device. When I backup using the external device without Time Machine, I get an exact replica of OS and it's easy to find stuff.

Time machine backs up automatically after the first backup, but that means I have to have my external drive attached which, as I've said before, isn't really doable because I only use my laptop on my lap. Too much of a pain to keep Ext. HD attached.

I haven't thought about file recovery utilities in years but TechTool Pro ($125.00) has a Data recovery function and Data Rescue ($105.00) is a decent file recovery utility. Truthfully both work best when they are running BEFORE the file is deleted (they keep a record of deleted files and even store them in a cache for easy recovery).

Used as Apple recommends, Time Machine has pretty much taken the wind out of file recovery products sales. It is builtin, costs nothing, runs automatically and transparently in the background, and is highly reliable and successful in recovering anything from lost or deleted files to entire systems.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54780 05/29/20 12:34 PM

I don't know why I hate Time Machine so much except that I guess it just makes me look stupid. I can't figure out a good way to retrieve stuff. I look at it, and see all the files behind each other like paper in a file cabinet and just don't like how it works.

The files behind each other like paper in a filing cabinet are specific points in TIME. That is the other dimension in Time Machine. You are dealing with the file and when or when did the file exist. That is the file that existed on your computer on that specific month, week, day, hour. That is really all you need to know, the rest is taken care of by Time Machine.

Besides, I still have to use an external device. When I backup using the external device without Time Machine, I get an exact replica of OS and it's easy to find stuff.

Using clones there is no way to go back to a copy of a file that was deleted before the last clone. With time Machine you can go back years if necessary.

Time machine backs up automatically after the first backup, but that means I have to have my external drive attached which, as I've said before, isn't really doable because I only use my laptop on my lap. Too much of a pain to keep Ext. HD attached.

Ideally you would always have your external drive attached, but that is not reasonable with laptops. Time Machine can deal with that, simply reconnect your external drive when you are through using your laptop and Time Machine will kick in You won't have as fine granulation in points in time, but you still get the major benefits of Time Machine.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54784 05/29/20 05:13 PM
OP Offline

I didn't realize that. Good point.

Using clones there is no way to go back to a copy of a file that was deleted before the last clone. With time Machine you can go back years if necessary.

When I'm done with my Mac for the day I put it to sleep. After the first backup, how long in general does it take to back up everything? I am assuming I would have to keep my Mac awake for that amount of time and set it to automatically sleep after that.

Ideally you would always have your external drive attached, but that is not reasonable with laptops. Time Machine can deal with that, simply reconnect your external drive when you are through using your laptop and Time Machine will kick in You won't have as fine granulation in points in time, but you still get the major benefits of Time Machine.
[/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54787 05/29/20 07:13 PM

When I'm done with my Mac for the day I put it to sleep. After the first backup, how long in general does it take to back up everything? I am assuming I would have to keep my Mac awake for that amount of time and set it to automatically sleep after that.

1. Time Machine does only does a complete backup the very first time it runs, after that...
    1. in only backs up the files that have changed or been added since the previous backup
    2. and periodically…
      1. the hourly backups are consolidated into daily backups
      2. daily backups are consolidated into weekly backups
  2. how long a backup will take depends on
    1. how many files have been changed or added since the last backup
    2. if it is time to consolidate hourly, daily or weekly backups
  3. typically a backup will take anywhere from several seconds to a minute or two but a big consolidation run can take several minutes
  4. this all happens automatically so all you have to do is plug in the external drive (I would take the opportunity to recharge your MacBook battery at the same time) and walk away. Unless you have it set to never sleep, your macBook will go to sleep when it is finished.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54788 05/29/20 07:33 PM
OP Offline

So, while it's backing up, it doesn't automatically go to sleep, even if I have it set for sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity? Also, I rarely use my Mac battery. It's almost always plugged in unless it's in the kitchen showing me a recipe. smile

[*]this all happens automatically so all you have to do is plug in the external drive (I would take the opportunity to recharge your MacBook battery at the same time) and walk away. Unless you have it set to never sleep, your macBook will go to sleep when it is finished. [/list] [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54790 05/29/20 09:53 PM

So, while it's backing up, it doesn't automatically go to sleep, even if I have it set for sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity?

The first backup will take a long time, possibly several hours. After that I would be surprised if it ever takes as long as ten minutes.

Quote:
Also, I rarely use my Mac battery. It's almost always plugged in unless it's in the kitchen showing me a recipe. smile

I ran a MacBook Pro that way until the battery swelled and I had to take it to Apple for a battery replacement (thank goodness for AppleCare). This Apple Insider article offers some good information and tips on how to extend the life of your MacBook battery.

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/29/20 10:32 PM. Reason: add better tip

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54793 05/30/20 12:50 AM
OP Offline

Thank for the Time Machine info.

I've had this refurbished MacBook Pro for almost three years and I only have 158 cycles. That's about 53 cycles a year. So, I guess that's a good thing according to the article you sent me.

So, while it's backing up, it doesn't automatically go to sleep, even if I have it set for sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity?

The first backup will take a long time, possibly several hours. After that I would be surprised if it ever takes as long as ten minutes.

Quote:
Also, I rarely use my Mac battery. It's almost always plugged in unless it's in the kitchen showing me a recipe. smile

I ran a MacBook Pro that way until the battery swelled and I had to take it to Apple for a battery replacement (thank goodness for AppleCare). This Apple Insider article offers some good information and tips on how to extend the life of your MacBook battery.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54794 05/30/20 07:53 AM

Quote:

You've crossed the border into no man's land.

For many years, both Apple's and Battery University's guidance on how to treat your battery if you never unplug your Mac was to run it down once a month.

At least five years ago, both entities withdrew that guidance but never replaced it...went silent on the subject, but I continued the practice for lack of an authoritatively recommended alternative.

In the intervening years I've asked at least a half dozen "Geniuses" and AppleCare techs about it, and they've invariably told me what they do but have been at a complete loss when I've said "That's nice, but what does APPLE say to do," at which point they've all said they'd file some sort of report, which has obviously been a useless exercise.

My 2015 MBP's battery swelled and was replaced, but there was a recall on the battery, so there's absolutely no reason to point at any particular factor as the cause of its failure.

Since I got the new battery I've changed my habit to shallow discharges - an hour a night - to give the battery more consistent use if nothing else, but I've got no idea whether or not I"ve done the right thing.

Apple certainly sells enough laptops for updated guidance to be in order, so I take their failure to provide it as an admission of ignorance.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard