FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: COVID-19 Contact Tracking?
joemikeb #54722 05/24/20 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
...a common tenet among people of all faiths is, "we are our "brother's keeper" and have an obligation to look out for the welfare of those around us not just ourselves. Finding out you have been exposed to COVID-19 should — if nothing else — encourage us to redouble our efforts at self isolation, social distancing, use of masks, etc. to prevent inadvertently spreading the disease to others. To me, that is reason enough to be warned of exposure.

Of course!

But the question I addressed was
Originally Posted By: joemikeb
So why not make a recommendation to seek medical attention for Coronavirus exposure?

And I don't agree with burdening already overworked medical personnel with questions for which they've got no better answers to offer than those we've already got on our own.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54727 05/25/20 01:28 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
And I don't agree with burdening already overworked medical personnel with questions for which they've got no better answers to offer than those we've already got on our own.

Given where you live I understand your attitude, and if I lived in New York City I would probably feel the same way. But life, medicine, and Coronavirus are different here. Although the infection rate and death rate are high and rising, we only have around 30 to 40% of our hospital beds occupied and there is no shortage of ICU beds or ventilators. 🤞(Although from his decisions, our governor seems determined to fill them up regardless of the human cost.) So around here the medical community is sharply focused on learning as much as possible about COVID-19, what its effects are on the human and animal body and how it is spread. It turns out many things we thought we knew about the disease, its symptoms, effects, etc was either incomplete or uninformed. So the more data that can be accumulated the more we know and the better prepared we will be for the inevitable second round this fall and the next variant that shows up next year. So even if staying home may be the best treatment option, information gathered from a visit to the doctor may help in the future.

Additionally, given what is being learned about the chronic heart, lung, kidney, liver and other conditions that are the legacy of having had the virus — even among those victims who were asymptomatic — the sooner the survivors get into treatment, the better their chances of an active and healthy life in the future. Coronavirus is the debilitator that keeps on debilitating. So I definitely want my primary care physician to know if I have been exposed COVID-19 so he knows what to be alert for in my future health care and can start preventative treatment if and when needed and stay ahead of the power curve.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #56827 11/10/20 10:52 PM

Contact Tracing Apps W...VID-19. Why Haven't They Helped?
Proof of the (sceptic's) pudding…?

alternaut moderator
alternaut #56835 11/11/20 08:17 PM
OP Offline

I live in the nation with the highest number of COVID infections, and deaths, per day in the world and climbing; in the state that leads the nation in all those categories; in the 16th or 17th largest city in the nation and racking up 1,000 to 1,500 new infections every day. Yesterday, I was in a store, buying a key fob battery for my VW, when a maskless middle-aged man, in a power wheel chair, rolled up and demanded entry. When the store manager politely but firmly, refused him entry unless he put on a mask in accordance with state guidelines, city and county regulations, company policy , and store policy. the man returned to his car “to get his gun”. Fortunately, The police (and his 2 twenty something sons) intervened before he was able to navigate the curb to retrieve his M-16. No tracking system, even if Texas could be induced to attempt instituting one, can hope to contend with that level of ignorance and attitude. Even if someone like that was informed they had been exposed, or maybe especially if they had been so informed, they would likely espouse their Constitional RIGHT to infect anyone they came in contact with.

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/11/20 08:18 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard