FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Changing Mail View Options permanently
plantsower #54704 05/23/20 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Yeah, I know. I wish I was braver, but I've heard so many negatives (don't ask, I can't remember) that I hesitate. Maybe someday.

Judging from your hesitance, that "someday" is likely to be the day your MBP meets its maker, i.e. goes back to Apple for recycling, and your new machine will be a FORCED upgrade of 'n' more versions of macOS than are facing you now. (Remember that they come EVERY YEAR now.)

You've asked FTM's assemblage of experienced users how they're faring with the upgrades and gotten zero negative response, so why let some anonymous complainers deter you from upgrading when the people to whom you turn when you've got a problem have all encouraged it?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54705 05/23/20 04:09 AM
OP Offline

You know me pretty well. Yes, that's how I usually do it. It's the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

Judging from your hesitance, that "someday" is likely to be the day your MBP meets its maker, i.e. goes back to Apple for recycling, and your new machine will be a FORCED upgrade of 'n' more versions of macOS than are facing you now. (Remember that they come EVERY YEAR now.)

Good point. I will have to think about that.

You've asked FTM's assemblage of experienced users how they're faring with the upgrades and gotten zero negative response, so why let some anonymous complainers deter you from upgrading when the people to whom you turn when you've got a problem have all encouraged it? [/quote]

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54706 05/23/20 04:26 AM

You know me pretty well. Yes, that's how I usually do it. It's the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

My problem is that I think too much, and it keeps me from pulling the trigger before the price goes up or Amazon runs out or whatever.

And your problem is that you're ignoring the fact that even though it still works, it really is broke.

BANG! wink

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54707 05/23/20 07:30 AM

If I remember correctly, you've got only 4 GB RAM, in which case I suggest that you go no further than Mojave, because its minimum RAM is 2 GB, but it's gone up to a 4 GB minimum for Catalina, which might make it a bit tight on your MBP.

artie505 #54711 05/23/20 04:39 PM
OP Offline

Yeah, and sometimes ignorance is bliss! You have to remember I don't do much other than email, text and search. Though the stupid autofill has quit working in a lot of places again.

Originally Posted By: artie505

My problem is that I think too much, and it keeps me from pulling the trigger before the price goes up or Amazon runs out or whatever.

And your problem is that you're ignoring the fact that even though it still works, it really is broke.

BANG! wink

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54712 05/23/20 04:43 PM
OP Offline

I actually have 8 GB ram. When I went checking to make sure I saw my Flash Drive and got a scare. I usually only use a tiny bit but now it says something different. See? Flash Storage

Or is that just because I divided it up for future OS's? I haven't reconfigured it yet because I don't want to think again about how to do it. frown

If I remember correctly, you've got only 4 GB RAM, in which case I suggest that you go no further than Mojave, because its minimum RAM is 2 GB, but it's gone up to a 4 GB minimum for Catalina, which might make it a bit tight on your MBP.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54713 05/23/20 09:06 PM

I actually have 8 GB ram.

Which is ample for Catalina given your uses of the computer.

When I went checking to make sure I saw my Flash Drive and got a scare. I usually only use a tiny bit but now it says something different. See? Flash Storage

Or is that just because I divided it up for future OS's? I haven't reconfigured it yet because I don't want to think again about how to do it. frown

It is just because you divided it up for future OS's, but in my opinion you are right to be concerned about the lack of free overhead in your MACINTOSH HD partition. Your Flash Drive (a.k.a. SSD or NVMe) realistically does not have sufficient capacity for three operating systems. Technically they can all run in the space you have allocated, but there might not be enough free space to install and upgrade. Mojave will have multiple volumes and Catalina will have more than than Mojave. It might work, but it is equally likely to lead to future difficulties.

As I recall, without going back and rereading over 100 posts, Artie and I, both talked about putting Sierra on an external drive (in fact I was under the impression you already had a Sierra clone on an external drive which would take care of that handily) and if you are going to Catalina then you have no reason for installing Mojave and vice-versa. I understand your reticence, but you are allowing it to over-complicate things which will inevitably create unnecessary problems. The best plan is to KEEP IT SIMPLE.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54715 05/23/20 09:40 PM
OP Offline

OK. Yes, I have Sierra on an external drive which I guess I am supposed to erase and use again because maybe it's in a million pieces from what I've read here.

I guess I will call up Disk Utility and erase my partitions for Mojave and Catalina and just install a new O.S. when I am ready. It will incorporate the stuff I have on Sierra which is what I want to keep it simple. Though I know I will lose some of my ad blocking apps.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I actually have 8 GB ram.

Which is ample for Catalina given your uses of the computer.

When I went checking to make sure I saw my Flash Drive and got a scare. I usually only use a tiny bit but now it says something different. See? Flash Storage

It is just because you divided it up for future OS's, but in my opinion you are right to be concerned about the lack of free overhead in your MACINTOSH HD partition. Your Flash Drive (a.k.a. SSD or NVMe) realistically does not have sufficient capacity for three operating systems. Technically they can all run in the space you have allocated, but there might not be enough free space to install and upgrade. Mojave will have multiple volumes and Catalina will have more than than Mojave. It might work, but it is equally likely to lead to future difficulties.

As I recall, without going back and rereading over 100 posts, Artie and I, both talked about putting Sierra on an external drive (in fact I was under the impression you already had a Sierra clone on an external drive which would take care of that handily) and if you are going to Catalina then you have no reason for installing Mojave and vice-versa. I understand your reticence, but you are allowing it to over-complicate things which will inevitably create unnecessary problems. The best plan is to KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54718 05/24/20 12:43 PM

Believe it or not I woke up this morning at 4:00 AM worried you might do something to get into trouble.

OK. Yes, I have Sierra on an external drive which I guess I am supposed to erase and use again because maybe it's in a million pieces from what I've read here.

IMMEDIATELY IF NOT SOONER AND BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE...
  1. use Disk Utility to erase and partition your external HD to a single partition (GUID partiton scheme, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  2. Verify you are running the latest version of Carbon Copy Cloner by going to Carbon Copy Cloner > Check For Updates
  3. Clone MACINTOSH HD to your external HD
  4. Control+Click on your external HD and select Rename from the drop down menu
  5. Rename the external HD Sierra Clone to prevent confusion
  6. in System Preferences > Startup Drive select Sierra Clone and reboot (NOTE: it will take a lot longer because your external drive is a LOT slower than your flash drive.)
  7. Run from the external drive for several hours — even a day or two — to be sure the clone is good
  8. in System Preferences > Startup Drive select MACINTOSH HD and reboot
  9. In order to keep your two drives synchronized clone MACINTOSH HD to Sierra Clone every day (you can automate that in CCC).

I guess I will call up Disk Utility and erase my partitions for Mojave and Catalina and just install a new O.S. when I am ready. It will incorporate the stuff I have on Sierra which is what I want to keep it simple.

Getting rid of partitions is not always straight forward or easy because deleting a partition is not enough you have to expand another partition to encompass the newly freed up disk space and that can be tricky and can cause data loss. That is why I said to be sure you have a good clone first.

AN EASY WAY TO GET RID OF YOUR PARTITIONS ON YOUR flash drive assuming you have performed the previous steps:
  1. Boot from your Sierra Clone
  2. Launch Disk Utility and erase/repartition MACINTOSH HD to a single partiton (GUID partition scheme, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format)
  3. Launch Crbon Copy Cloner and Clone Sierra Clone to MACINTOSH HD
  4. In System Preferences > Startup Drive choose MACINTOSH HD as the startup drive and Reboot.

Though I know I will lose some of my ad blocking apps.

Lose some gain more. I have gotten rid of all but WIPR with no increase in annoying adds but major improvement in site specific control within Safari/Safari Technology Preview itself. I haven't lost any functionality I needed or wanted just adjusted to new controls.

NOTE: Please don't make assumptions and/or bypass any of these steps. Print them out and check them off as you do each one just to be sure you don't miss something.

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/24/20 12:46 PM. Reason: CCC comment

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54720 05/24/20 04:41 PM
OP Offline

Wow, I am so sorry you woke up at 4 a.m. worried. It was probably warranted. LOL! But thanks. So sorry.

Today is not a good day to do this but soon. I don't understand all the directions completely, but hopefully as I bumble along on each step, it will become clear.

BTW, I use SuperDuper.

Just to clarify steps 6 thru 8:

6. Click on my Sierra clone and reboot (restart the computer after I enter Sierra Clone)?

7. Run for several hours, etc. Got it.

8. Select Mac HD from Start up Disk and reboot. (Restart?). After I run Sierra Clone for several hours (or a day) and then remove Ext. HD, first? I don't normally have to pick a startup disk after I remove my Ext. Drive. But, maybe this is a special situation?

Believe it or not I woke up this morning at 4:00 AM worried you might do something to get into trouble.

IMMEDIATELY IF NOT SOONER AND BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE...
  1. use Disk Utility to erase and partition your external HD to a single partition (GUID partiton scheme, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  2. Verify you are running the latest version of Carbon Copy Cloner by going to Carbon Copy Cloner > Check For Updates
  3. Clone MACINTOSH HD to your external HD
  4. Control+Click on your external HD and select Rename from the drop down menu
  5. Rename the external HD Sierra Clone to prevent confusion
  6. in System Preferences > Startup Drive select Sierra Clone and reboot (NOTE: it will take a lot longer because your external drive is a LOT slower than your flash drive.)
  7. Run from the external drive for several hours — even a day or two — to be sure the clone is good
  8. in System Preferences > Startup Drive select MACINTOSH HD and reboot
  9. In order to keep your two drives synchronized clone MACINTOSH HD to Sierra Clone every day (you can automate that in CCC).

I guess I will call up Disk Utility and erase my partitions for Mojave and Catalina and just install a new O.S. when I am ready. It will incorporate the stuff I have on Sierra which is what I want to keep it simple.

Getting rid of partitions is not always straight forward or easy because deleting a partition is not enough you have to expand another partition to encompass the newly freed up disk space and that can be tricky and can cause data loss. That is why I said to be sure you have a good clone first.

AN EASY WAY TO GET RID OF YOUR PARTITIONS ON YOUR flash drive assuming you have performed the previous steps:
  1. Boot from your Sierra Clone
  2. Launch Disk Utility and erase/repartition MACINTOSH HD to a single partiton (GUID partition scheme, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format)
  3. Launch Crbon Copy Cloner and Clone Sierra Clone to MACINTOSH HD
  4. In System Preferences > Startup Drive choose MACINTOSH HD as the startup drive and Reboot.

Lose some gain more. I have gotten rid of all but WIPR with no increase in annoying adds but major improvement in site specific control within Safari/Safari Technology Preview itself. I haven't lost any functionality I needed or wanted just adjusted to new controls.

NOTE: Please don't make assumptions and/or bypass any of these steps. Print them out and check them off as you do each one just to be sure you don't miss something.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54721 05/24/20 08:55 PM

Wow, I am so sorry you woke up at 4 a.m. worried. It was probably warranted. LOL! But thanks. So sorry.

Today is not a good day to do this but soon. I don't understand all the directions completely, but hopefully as I bumble along on each step, it will become clear.

BTW, I use SuperDuper.

Not to worry, I needed to get up anyway, 😄

I quit using SuperDuper because it did not handle the Recovery Drive properly, if at all and Carbon Copy Cloner did at the time. I have no current experience with SuperDuper but as I recall it works essentially the same way CCC does but with a different UI and I would imagine they have caught up with CCC in regards to handling the multitudinous volumes used in Mojave and Catalina.

6. Click on my Sierra clone and reboot (restart the computer after I enter Sierra Clone)?

See screenshot here

8. Select Mac HD from Start up Disk and reboot. (Restart?). After I run Sierra Clone for several hours (or a day) and then remove Ext. HD, first? I don't normally have to pick a startup disk after I remove my Ext. Drive. But, maybe this is a special situation?

The boot drive is stored in the system so every time you boot it will attempt to find and start from Sierra Clone unless you tell the system otherwise. If it does not find the selected startup drive it then searches for any other drive that has a bootable volume. Resetting startup drive will save some time every time you startup your computer not to mention eliminating any confusion if your external drive happens to be attached when your boot/reboot. NOTE: if you are going to be cloning every day, and you should if you do not use Time Machine, why go to the trouble of mounting and dismounting the external drive daily? Why not just leave it connected?

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #54723 05/25/20 07:01 AM

You won't necessarily lose any of your blocking extensions, because they may have been replaced by apps available from the App Store, although their functionality won't necessarily be identical.

For what it's worth, I lost AdBlock for Safari to decreased functionality and greed, but I replaced it with Wipr a few months ago after reading that joemike used it, and I'm thoroughly pleased with it.

I also use Roadblock because of its unique ability to block ANY HTML element in a web page.

plantsower #54724 05/25/20 07:08 AM

You can't remove your external before you reboot/restart, because it's the volume into which you're booted.

You've got to wait until you restart into your internal SSD, and the best way to get there is by setting it as your startup disc in System Prefs > Startup Disc.

joemikeb #54725 05/25/20 07:15 AM

The only thing with which I differ is Rita's leaving her external HDD as a single partition.

In one of her other threads I suggested that since it's so big, 1 TB compared to her 120 GB internal SSD, she make 5 x 100 GB partitions and 1 x 500 GB partition.

That will leave her space to potentially back up five different OSs in the small partitions plus run Time Machine or do whatever else comes up in the big one.

Someday.

artie505 #54726 05/25/20 12:18 PM

The only thing with which I differ is Rita's leaving her external HDD as a single partition.

In one of her other threads I suggested that since it's so big, 1 TB compared to her 120 GB internal SSD, she make 5 x 100 GB partitions and 1 x 500 GB partition.

That will leave her space to potentially back up five different OSs in the small partitions plus run Time Machine or do whatever else comes up in the big one.

Someday.

No argument, but given Rita's penchant for overthinking, I thought it better to keep it as simple as possible with fewer options to create possible confusion on her part. I would hope that eventually she would be willing to give up Sierra and then the external drive could be completely devoted to Time Machine as it should be.

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/25/20 12:28 PM. Reason: typo

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54728 05/25/20 03:32 PM
OP Offline

I guess what is confusing me is why I can't just detach my external drive like I always do when I'm done with it and go into my OS on my internal drive minus the external drive being attached. I don't want to have to tell my Mac which drive to go into every time. Besides, there will only be one OS (Catalina or the next one) on my internal drive anyway. I've decided not to put more than one OS on my SSD as you've suggested. Plus, I have found that once I relegate an older OS to my external drive, I rarely go there again. Of course, I would be putting my new OS on the external drive, also. I need to keep this really, really simple as I do now. I honestly don't feel the need to back up everyday. There is nothing that important on my Mac that I need to do this and really don't want to.

If I were using a desktop computer it would be a simple thing to keep my external drive connected. I only have a laptop which I actually use on my lap. It's too awkward to keep the external drive connected because of logistics and it's short cable. It has come out of the USB port more than once because I had the audacity to move in my chair. smirk

BTW, I use SuperDuper.

Not to worry, I needed to get up anyway, 😄

I quit using SuperDuper because it did not handle the Recovery Drive properly, if at all and Carbon Copy Cloner did at the time. I have no current experience with SuperDuper but as I recall it works essentially the same way CCC does but with a different UI and I would imagine they have caught up with CCC in regards to handling the multitudinous volumes used in Mojave and Catalina.

See screenshot here

The boot drive is stored in the system so every time you boot it will attempt to find and start from Sierra Clone unless you tell the system otherwise. If it does not find the selected startup drive it then searches for any other drive that has a bootable volume. Resetting startup drive will save some time every time you startup your computer not to mention eliminating any confusion if your external drive happens to be attached when your boot/reboot. NOTE: if you are going to be cloning every day, and you should if you do not use Time Machine, why go to the trouble of mounting and dismounting the external drive daily? Why not just leave it connected?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54729 05/25/20 03:36 PM
OP Offline

I have Wipr too but find I have to disable it on a lot of sites because it causes me problems. Same with Ghostery. And I'm too cheap to pay for Roadblock. smile

You won't necessarily lose any of your blocking extensions, because they may have been replaced by apps available from the App Store, although their functionality won't necessarily be identical.

For what it's worth, I lost AdBlock for Safari to decreased functionality and greed, but I replaced it with Wipr a few months ago after reading that joemike used it, and I'm thoroughly pleased with it.

I also use Roadblock because of its unique ability to block ANY HTML element in a web page.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54730 05/25/20 04:06 PM

I guess what is confusing me is why I can't just detach my external drive like I always do when I'm done with it and go into my OS on my internal drive minus the external drive being attached. I don't want to have to tell my Mac which drive to go into every time. Besides, there will only be one OS (Catalina or the next one) on my internal drive anyway. I've decided not to put more than one OS on my SSD as you've suggested. Plus, I have found that once I relegate an older OS to my external drive, I rarely go there again. Of course, I would be putting my new OS on the external drive, also. I need to keep this really, really simple as I do now. I honestly don't feel the need to back up everyday. There is nothing that important on my Mac that I need to do this and really don't want to.

If I were using a desktop computer it would be a simple thing to keep my external drive connected. I only have a laptop which I actually use on my lap. It's too awkward to keep the external drive connected because of logistics and it's short cable. It has come out of the USB port more than once because I had the audacity to move in my chair. smirk

Just consider this a special case in this specific instance of "cleaning up" both your flash drive and external HD.

Once you have completed the task of cleaning up the partioning on both your drives you can
  1. Power your Mac down completely
  2. Disconnect the external drive
  3. boot from the Recovery drive...
    1. Be sure your MacBook is plugged in
    2. press the power button
    3. press and hold Option+Command+R (⌥⌘R) until you see the Apple logo
    4. at the prompt select your user account and enter the password
    5. if prompted enter the password for your WiFi network
  4. Select the option to install/reinstall the latest version of MacOS (Catalina)
...and all your settings, data, and applications will be intact (albeit some apps may not run). Clean, simple, and as easy as it gets

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/25/20 04:08 PM. Reason: add step

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54731 05/25/20 05:31 PM
OP Offline

OK, thank you!

Just consider this a special case in this specific instance of "cleaning up" both your flash drive and external HD.

Once you have completed the task of cleaning up the partioning on both your drives you can
  1. Power your Mac down completely
  2. Disconnect the external drive
  3. boot from the Recovery drive...
    1. Be sure your MacBook is plugged in
    2. press the power button
    3. press and hold Option+Command+R (⌥⌘R) until you see the Apple logo
    4. at the prompt select your user account and enter the password
    5. if prompted enter the password for your WiFi network
  4. Select the option to install/reinstall the latest version of MacOS (Catalina)
...and all your settings, data, and applications will be intact (albeit some apps may not run). Clean, simple, and as easy as it gets

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54732 05/25/20 06:00 PM
OP Offline

Usually I click on the extended HD items when I want to remove it, and when given the choice to eject all, I click that and then remove the external drive. I don't have to reboot anything. Never have. It always works.

You can't remove your external before you reboot/restart, because it's the volume into which you're booted.

You've got to wait until you restart into your internal SSD, and the best way to get there is by setting it as your startup disc in System Prefs > Startup Disc.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54733 05/25/20 07:53 PM

Usually I click on the extended HD items when I want to remove it, and when given the choice to eject all, I click that and then remove the external drive. I don't have to reboot anything. Never have. It always works.

That is the proper way to disconnect an external drive, but in this case there are other things going on. If nothing else just put it down to my personal sense of computer propriety 😉

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54734 05/25/20 09:40 PM
OP Offline

OK. Thanks.

That is the proper way to disconnect an external drive, but in this case there are other things going on. If nothing else just put it down to my personal sense of computer propriety 😉

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54736 05/26/20 06:40 AM

I have Wipr too but find I have to disable it on a lot of sites because it causes me problems. Same with Ghostery. And I'm too cheap to pay for Roadblock. smile

Neither Wipr nor Ghostery is causing your problems; it's just that websites have become more sophisticated and better able to pick up on ad blockers - no matter which variety - and block them.

If you've got the little gear wheel guy in your Safari menu bar you can uncheck the "Enable content blockers box" on a website by website basis to whitelist particular sites, and if you haven't got it, it's because your Safari is too far behind the times.

I caught Roadblock for 1/2 price around X-mas, but its functionality is so important to me that I'd have paid full price. As far as I've been able to tell, it's unique.

joemikeb #54737 05/26/20 06:49 AM

No argument, but given Rita's penchant for overthinking, I thought it better to keep it as simple as possible with fewer options to create possible confusion on her part. I would hope that eventually she would be willing to give up Sierra and then the external drive could be completely devoted to Time Machine as it should be.

I think that under any circumstances, Rita's external should have no less than two partitions: one, because Rita should have a clone, no matter how far behind the times it is, and a second for potential Time Machine or other use.

plantsower #54738 05/26/20 07:03 AM

OK. Thanks.

Clarification: You're usually booted into your internal SSD, so you can eject your external HDD with no issues.

In this instance, though, you'll be booted into your external, and you CAN'T eject the drive/volume into which you're booted.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard