FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Safari button gone
#540 08/07/09 09:00 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

I updated to 10.5.8 and Safari 4.0.2 and now I can't find Safari's Stop/Reload button. I see the menu Reload and the shortcut, but that's it.

Ok, wait a minute, I just hovered over the 3/4 circle arrow where the much lamented Snapback used to be. That's Reload.

No Stop. Can't find a setting to add it. I wonder if Escape, or some other key will do it.

Nevermind! I finally attempted to load a page that took long enough for me to get my cursor over the blue end of the URL box with the spinning "pinwheel" and that's the stop button!

Last edited by Gregg; 08/07/09 09:05 PM. Reason: solved it
Re: Safari button gone
Gregg #546 08/07/09 09:46 PM

Gregg, I assume you know about using the option on the View menu to customize the Safari 4 tool bar. Have you discovered the item in Safari 4's debug menu that lists all of the keyboard shortcuts? I am amazed at how many there are. If you don't have the Debug menu showing MacPilot can turn it on or off along with at least three Safari 4 only options:
  • Whether the toolbar is at the top of bottom of the window
  • Placing the additional controls inside the address bar
  • Enabling or disabling Top Sites
MacPilot can't restore Snapback, but it might allow you to tailor Safari 4 more to your liking.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #555 08/08/09 12:00 AM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Yeah, it allows duplicate functions - things that are already available, but not another Stop or Reload button.

I have not discovered the "debug menu". Safari Help wasn't

Gregg #557 08/08/09 12:36 AM

go to your Safari preferences/Advanced tab, and turn on "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #558 08/08/09 12:50 AM

It's not the same thing.

See this Rob Griffiths post for details.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #560 08/08/09 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

It's not the same thing.

See this Rob Griffiths post for details.

ah, my bad, sorry.

stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #590 08/08/09 02:47 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

No problem. I looked at it, and having determined that a.)I've never used any of those commands, and b.)I have no idea what many of them are, I opened prefs and unchecked it.

Still searching for the debug menu though. Hope there isn't an infestation before I find it! :eek:

Rather than start a new thread, I'll add a question to my own topic. Still in Safari... When I select Show All Bookmarks, I now get this "cover flow" band at the top of the window, which I think displays the most recent web pages I've visited. I suppose there must be a way to set the number limit, but I'm really looking for a way to disable that. I don't immediately see one.

Not sure if I'll like the Top Sites page either. I might be looking for a way to disable that down the road...

Gregg #592 08/08/09 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Gregg
Rather than start a new thread, I'll add a question to my own topic. Still in Safari... When I select Show All Bookmarks, I now get this "cover flow" band at the top of the window, which I think displays the most recent web pages I've visited. I suppose there must be a way to set the number limit, but I'm really looking for a way to disable that. I don't immediately see one.

immediately under the Cover Flow in the center, there are three little horizontal lines. double click, or grab them to resize the Cover Flow area.

I'm not a big fan of Top Sites, either. you can change that in the General tab of the Safari prefs.

stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #600 08/08/09 04:42 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Roger! :salute: Er, I mean...

Roger, thanks for the tip about Top Sites. I have made a change there. The first time I opened Safari 4, I waited until all the graphics loaded for Top Sites. It took several minutes. I was not thrilled with it. I can get to any of those sites just as fast or faster with bookmarks vs. hovering over the blank boxes while it loads to see if the one I want is there.

I've made the Cover Flow area as small as it will go, but I'd rather turn it off. It takes up too much space that I'd like to have for the list of Bookmarks.

Gregg #605 08/08/09 05:14 PM

I'm not sure how far you dragged the cover flow up. But if you drag it all the way up, all that will show is the search bar on the right and the three little lines all in a black enclosure about about the height of the search bar

Gregg #629 08/08/09 08:52 PM

Roger! :salute: Er, I mean...

heh

I've made the Cover Flow area as small as it will go, but I'd rather turn it off. It takes up too much space that I'd like to have for the list of Bookmarks.

as Mark says, dragging it all the way up (or better yet, just double click the three little bars), will leave nothing but the Bookmark search area. which is a handy thing!

stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
MarkG #631 08/08/09 08:59 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey, thanks for chiming in! I gave up too soon. When you get near the top, it doesn't change dynamically, but in convulsions. I had just stopped when the dynamic resizing ended. Moral to the story: never assume that others readily perceive what is obvious to you. Thanks again.

Ok, Roger. (is that redundant?) I didn't know that trick either. I had to go do something in the middle of composing the above and didn't see your post until I submitted mine. I find it a little strange that the double-click works only after the hand appears, rather than the standard arrow cursor.

Last edited by Gregg; 08/08/09 09:03 PM.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard