for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iPhone not syncing with MacBook Pro
#54536 05/11/20 06:55 PM
OP Offline

I've been having this problem for a few days now. I've tried everything I know to do like restarting my Mac and restarting my iPhone. I've also reset my network settings.
I did some other stuff which, if you suggest it, I may say I've already done it. I called Apple, but they were of no help. They've been especially unhelpful since they have been working from home.

This also is causing problems sending SMS messages from time to time, including today. The addressee shows up in orange on my Mac, which means it's not going to send. Messages that are sent via Messages are not showing up on my iPhone when sent from the Mac, but when I send them via the iPhone, they do show up on my Mac.

Two different problems. I don't know if I have to separate the posts but they seem intertwined.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: iPhone not syncing with MacBook Pro
plantsower #54540 05/12/20 03:49 PM

Text messages from Messages on your Mac can only be sent to another Apple device. Your computer does not have cellular service like your iPhone, so it is dependent on sending via the Internet and for some design reason, that means only to other Apple devices. On your iPhone the blue and green text message bubbles tell you if the message is going to an iDevice (blue) via the Internet or via cellular (green). [this may or may not address your issue smirk ]

With regard to syncing, on your Mac check the iCloud System Preference settings and make sure the desired apps are checked as using iCloud. Sorry I can't be more specific about location with Sierra osMac.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #54545 05/12/20 04:45 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for getting back to me, Ira. I can actually send texts from my Mac to Androids, etc. as long as I am connected to the internet. It just sends it in SMS mode. Same with the iPhone. That's not the problem. Usually, when I send or receive a text, I can see it on my Mac and on my iPhone. That wasn't happening. But, somehow, yesterday, it cleared itself up and is back to what it was. Why it glitches from time to time I can't say. It's frustrating, and Apple has no answers that actually work all the time.

Rita

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Text messages from Messages on your Mac can only be sent to another Apple device. Your computer does not have cellular service like your iPhone, so it is dependent on sending via the Internet and for some design reason, that means only to other Apple devices. On your iPhone the blue and green text message bubbles tell you if the message is going to an iDevice (blue) via the Internet or via cellular (green). [this may or may not address your issue smirk ]

With regard to syncing, on your Mac check the iCloud System Preference settings and make sure the desired apps are checked as using iCloud. Sorry I can't be more specific about location with Sierra osMac.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54546 05/12/20 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I can actually send texts from my Mac to Androids, etc. as long as I am connected to the internet. It just sends it in SMS mode. Same with the iPhone.

Hi, Rita.

I thought Text/SMS messages required a cellular connection, which is why they can be sent from your iPhone, so how do you do it from your Mac?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54548 05/12/20 05:41 PM
OP Offline

Hi: I just pull up the Messages App, fill in the blanks and send. I've always been able to do this. If the internet isn't connected, I can't send anything from the Mac, but when it is, I can send to both Apple devices and non-apple devices. It's really handy because it's way easier to type a text with a regular keyboard.

Originally Posted By: artie505
I can actually send texts from my Mac to Androids, etc. as long as I am connected to the internet. It just sends it in SMS mode. Same with the iPhone.

Hi, Rita.

I thought Text/SMS messages required a cellular connection, which is why they can be sent from your iPhone, so how do you do it from your Mac?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54549 05/12/20 05:53 PM
OP Offline

I looked up an article that shows how to do this. It's old but should work. Sending Texts with Mac

I think I could do this before I had an iPhone too, but I can't swear to it.

R...

Hi, Rita.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54550 05/12/20 05:57 PM
OP Offline

Here's how to set it up on Apple.com. Setting up Mac to Send MMS/SMS texts.

Let me know how it goes.

R...

Hi: I just pull up the Messages App, fill in the blanks and send. I've always been able to do this. If the internet isn't connected, I can't send anything from the Mac, but when it is, I can send to both Apple devices and non-apple devices. It's really handy because it's way easier to type a text with a regular keyboard.

Hi, Rita.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54552 05/12/20 07:16 PM

Artie this was discussed at length a couple of months ago in this thread.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #54555 05/13/20 07:52 AM

Thanks for the link, Rita.

It confirms that, as I thought, you can't actually text from a Mac, but you can use an iPhone as a conduit to do it.

And it is, INDEED, a pleasure to be able to avoid typing on an iPhone.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #54556 05/13/20 08:01 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

I followed that thread as it unwound, but it completely lost me, and it's still beyond me, but I think Rita's link finally puts the issue to rest.

artie505 #54558 05/13/20 02:23 PM

You do have to have a phone number to send an SMS/MMS message from your Mac, which you get from the iPhone associated with your Apple ID. But just to be clear, that phone does not have to be present or even turned on to send and receive SMS/MMS texts on the Mac or a non-cellular iPad. The phone's only participation is providing the telephone number of an SMS/MMS enabled device. The telephone network connection is all handled by Apple via the Mac's internet connection. I don't know the actual mechanics of the process, but I know it works.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #54560 05/13/20 04:36 PM
OP Offline

Ta dah! I finally was able to help someone on FTM! Only took a few years. blush

I followed that thread as it unwound, but it completely lost me, and it's still beyond me, but I think Rita's link finally puts the issue to rest.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54561 05/13/20 04:50 PM

It's what we do......nice! grin

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #54562 05/13/20 05:04 PM
OP Offline

laugh laugh

Originally Posted By: MacManiac

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54564 05/13/20 05:16 PM

You do have to have a phone number to send an SMS/MMS message from your Mac, which you get from the iPhone associated with your Apple ID. But just to be clear, that phone does not have to be present or even turned on to send and receive SMS/MMS texts on the Mac or a non-cellular iPad. The phone's only participation is providing the telephone number of an SMS/MMS enabled device. The telephone network connection is all handled by Apple via the Mac's internet connection. I don't know the actual mechanics of the process, but I know it works.

I got that from the iBozz thread; I got lost with what he was trying to do with WhatsApp.

plantsower #54565 05/13/20 05:41 PM

laugh laugh

Originally Posted By: MacManiac

I'll mess up the icing on the cake with a chronology:
  • I broached the subject myself when I got my new iPhone back in November and came away with the understanding that you must have a phone plan to text.
  • joemike's linked iBozz thread confirmed the necessity for a phone plan.
  • Then you went and confused me by saying
    1. I just pull up the Messages App, fill in the blanks and send. I've always been able to do this. If the internet isn't connected, I can't send anything from the Mac, but when it is, I can send to both Apple devices and non-apple devices.
    2. I can actually send texts from my Mac to Androids, etc. as long as I am connected to the internet. It just sends it in SMS mode. Same with the iPhone.
    3. I think I could do this before I had an iPhone too, but I can't swear to it.
  • But your second linked doc cleared up the misunderstanding with finality with
    1. "Use it to send messages with iMessage, or send SMS and MMS messages through your iPhone." and
    2. "With Messages for Mac, you can send unlimited messages to any Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that uses iMessage, Apple's secure-messaging service. iPhone owners can use it for SMS and MMS messages, too."
(I assume that the same as goes for iPhones goes for iPads.)

So, your second linked doc was the ultimate authority, and my confusion is a thing of the past.

Thanks! smile

artie505 #54566 05/13/20 07:01 PM
OP Offline

Yep, I guess I couldn't do that before I got my iPhone. Wasn't sure. Now I know, and you're welcome!

So, your second linked doc was the ultimate authority, and my confusion is a thing of the past.

Thanks! smile [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54567 05/13/20 10:33 PM

(I assume that the same as goes for iPhones goes for iPads.)

Yes, but with caveats. Any iPad with an internet connection can do any messaging, app and data downloads, iCloud and internet access that a Mac can do including receiving telephone calls as well as sending and receiving of SMS/MMS texts using the phone number and account of the iPhone on the same Apple ID as expected.

The unique feature is when the iPad has cellular capability activated. An iPad with cellular capability activated has its own SIM card and unique telephone number and account but only the Telephone Company knows what that number is]. The iPad's hidden phone number is aliased to the iPhone's number. The user doesn't really see that separation (except on the monthly bill from the telco) but it is an interesting twist.

NOTE: All Apple watches can send and receive any kind of communication an iPhone can with the exception of Face Time (no camera) through a bluetooth connection to an iPhone. Like the cellular enabled iPad Apple Watches 4 and 5 have their own SIM and hidden phone number and are able to connect directly via their own cellular connection. (If the iPhone is within bluetooth range it will be used to conserve the Apple Watch battery.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54568 05/14/20 04:06 PM

Dick Tracy would have had to spend so much time learning connectivity that he'd never have had any time to catch bad guys! grin

Too complicated for me to even want to think about let alone learn!

joemikeb #54573 05/14/20 05:11 PM

An iPad with cellular capability activated has its own SIM card and unique telephone number and account but only the Telephone Company knows what that number is]. The iPad's hidden phone number is aliased to the iPhone's number. The user doesn't really see that separation (except on the monthly bill from the telco) but it is an interesting twist.

Just to clarify, the iPad's phone number is not a secret. The cellular provider will tell you what it is, and in my case, it shows up on the bill. Also displays on the iPad under Preferences>General>About>Cellular Data Number.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #54575 05/14/20 07:26 PM

Thanks for that clarification. I recently changed cellular providers because among other things they could or would not tell me anything but an EID number on the other devices and they were billing me for one EID number neither I nor they could associate with a device much less a telephone number. It was the only way I could get rid of a $15/month charge. 🤬

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard