Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Computer will only work with wireless mouse today
#54354 04/27/20 02:13 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I still have corded mouse. When it dies, I'll go wireless.

This morning, never see this before --on dektop " There is not a wireless mouse connected".

So I had to go to the closet get the wireless magic to get rid of the sign. But corded now wont work. And corded is still good. So stumped, why is the computer forcing wireless bluetooth? Thanks.

Re: Computer will only work with wireless mouse today
kevs #54356 04/27/20 04:29 PM

Try going to System Preferences>Bluetooth, where all potential and existing devices are listed. If you select a device you don't want you can "x" it out. See if that removes the demand for a cordless mouse.

Just as a reference, I use a wired keyboard and mouse and a wireless trackpad. In my Bluetooth preferences both a wireless keyboard and mouse are listed and shown as "not connected". I don't get the message you got.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #54357 04/27/20 04:39 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Ira. I did see one with my full name one mouse it that was not connected. Don't even remember that one.

The one connectrd now is generic magic mouse I use for emergencies.

I don't see anything else extraneious; so I still don't get this.

Ah... just unmounted a hard drive so I could test the corded mouse in back of the computer and ala, works. Puzzled. My hub is one of the best; expensive, robust; yet now seems to inhibit the mouse.

So think culprit now Hub.. works great until it does not.

kevs #54358 04/27/20 04:59 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Oddly, the hub outlet works fine with my external drives. And light up the corded mouse, but mouse then does not work.

But the mouse works plugged in to the back of the computer..

kevs #54360 04/27/20 07:04 PM

Based on a similar experience with an external drive try resetting the NVRAM and if that does not work reset the SMC (System Management Controller). If neither of those procedures works the most likely culprit would be your hub.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54364 04/27/20 08:37 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe/ Ira. Unplugging/ re-seting the hub, seemed to do the trick. Hub was culprit. Don't know why it went weird overnight. but ok now.

BTW, that external seems to be fine on the hub, I put Time Machine there temporarily. Any reason not to have it in the hub permanently? That would free up one USB space on back of computer for easy testing...

kevs #54373 04/28/20 03:48 PM

You may have answered your own question: if the hub goes weird on you, and you don't realize it, your Time Machine backups will be out of date.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #54374 04/28/20 03:51 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok Ira, did not think of that...direct computer safer....Thanks.

kevs #54379 04/28/20 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Joe/ Ira. Unplugging/ re-seting the hub, seemed to do the trick. Hub was culprit. Don't know why it went weird overnight. but ok now.

Untrapped power surge or dropout is the most likely explanation. I have my hub plugged into an uninterruptible power supply for that very treason. On the other hand, It could have just been bad karma, (I recently re-learned the SMC reset trick because a port on my Mac mini quit working and it is on an that same uninterruptible power supply.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54380 04/28/20 10:23 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, I think it's plugged into a normal long 6ft. power strip with probably a surge in it.

That said the Hub company said to do a reset/ reboot of the hub every once in a while like you do with a computer.

What is the SMC trick? Never heard of it.

And the Malwarebytes, I may get premium. Have it saved you yet in any way? Do mac really need it like windows does? Ransomware or other attacks? Still may get on board with that...

kevs #54394 04/29/20 04:23 PM

Thanks Joe, I think it's plugged into a normal long 6ft. power strip with probably a surge in it.

You get what you pay for with surge protectors. As a rule of thumb any surge protector that costs less than $35 or $40 is probably worth less than $2.

Originally Posted By: keys
That said the Hub company said to do a reset/ reboot of the hub every once in a while like you do with a computer.

That is a new one on me, but it makes sense in that hubs are electronic devices. I do know manufacturers recommend replacing surge protectors every three or four years because as the components wear they are slower and slower to respond to a power spike and therefore more and more likely to let a damaging surge through to your expensive computer, monitor, etc.

What is the SMC trick? Never heard of it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

And the Malwarebytes, I may get premium. Have it saved you yet in any way? Do mac really need it like windows does? Ransomware or other attacks? Still may get on board with that...

Does the Mac need it like Windows does? In a word no, BUT there are more and more assaults targeting the Mac. MalwareBytes did deject a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) once but I don't remember what it was (I didn't want it and had no idea where it came from).

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54401 04/29/20 05:13 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, this is an expensive 6ft long power strip. I never knew one should replace these. So you think surge in there is no good? I assumed always good.. Can one test this? Do you have a recommended surge power strip or are they all about the same? I have them all through the house.. same ones for years....

My hub and a reset buttom, high end hub. Or unplug / replug that's what they suggest. Some of the indicator lights were on that should not have been. That solved it.. "rebooting" the hub.. again, most hubs don't have reset right?

MalwareBytes Premium: Someone tried to install software on your mac, this happens while you are online? Malwarebyes sees this in real time and can swat it away.. but not a real antiviues correct? Which is good as real antiviurs hogs the whole system... What would have happened without malware bytes? Did you have check logs or malwarebytes lets you know... maybe it would not have been a big deal.. these types of software always want to brag and let you know what they are doing? I imageine then you have to have computer on, can't sleep it at night too?

kevs #54411 04/30/20 05:29 PM

Thanks Joe, this is an expensive 6ft long power strip. I never knew one should replace these. So you think surge in there is no good? I assumed always good..

The major manufacturers of electronics grade surge protectors such as Belkin, APC, and Tripp-Lite have recommended replacement every three to five years. Of course they have a vested interest in wanting you to buy new surge protectors as well as limiting their risk from users collecting on their data loss insurance. I too have a lot of surge protectors around my house, but only the ones with computer equipment connected are electronics grade. There are a couple of household electronics (Television sets) grade and the bulk of them are most are for lack of a better term Junk grade. The difference is how big a spike they can filter and how quickly they can respond to a spike.

Can one test this? Do you have a recommended surge power strip or are they all about the same? I have them all through the house.. same ones for years….

They are testable, but the testing equipment cost, would likely run into four figures. You have to balance the cost of the protected device with its sensitivity to power surges and the life-cycle cost of the connector cable. Personally I look at the junk grade surge protectors as convenient extension cords to connect multiple devices and don't worry about surge protection they offer — if any. Those I don't worry about replacing. The household electronics grade protectors get replaced every four or five years. My Electronics grade surge protectors are built into Uninteruptable Power Supplies which are too expensive to replace that often, but I do replace the batteries in them periodically.

My hub and a reset buttom, high end hub. Or unplug / replug that's what they suggest. Some of the indicator lights were on that should not have been. That solved it.. "rebooting" the hub.. again, most hubs don't have reset right?

The lights undoubtedly indicated a fault had occurred thus creating the need for a reset. Personally I have never encountered a hub with a reset.

MalwareBytes Premium: Someone tried to install software on your mac, this happens while you are online? Malwarebyes sees this in real time and can swat it away.. but not a real antiviues correct? Which is good as real antiviurs hogs the whole system... What would have happened without malware bytes? Did you have check logs or malwarebytes lets you know... maybe it would not have been a big deal.. these types of software always want to brag and let you know what they are doing? I imageine then you have to have computer on, can't sleep it at night too?

Not someone per. se. but a web site installed the software. MalwareBytes detected it on its regularly scheduled scan and moved it to Quarantine and notified me so I could decide what to do with it. Whether you call it a real antivirus or not depends on your definition of a "real antivirus". (By-the-way the term anti-virus is antiquated and the prefer term these days in anti-malware.) Rather than constantly monitoring everything coming into the system, which inevitably hurts performance) it runs a system scan on a user chosen schedule of 1, 3, 6, 12, or 24 hours. I use 3 hours and have never detected any indication that a scan is running. On my Mac mini with a 3.2 GHz 6 core i7 processor 29,236 items are scanned in less than 13 seconds. And yes my computer does sleep at night.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54415 04/30/20 07:35 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, great.

If computer sleeps at night, is malwarebytes is still running?

The software, how does it get on your computer? How does someone put that there, and would it eventually open ? I don't 'think I've had issue with this yet, but.... and would like to save $30 years or so and not have to buy premium but maybe.. as years go on; the world becomes more malevolent?

Wow I've never analyzed surge protectors. I just buy whatever and use them on power strips. So my computer probably does not even have an "electronic" grade, as I've never heard to term until today! But just buy a Belkin power strip or if you have an economical link to suggest on that?

I would never trust guidlines for replacement by companies who are replacing! (Sonicare used to say 1 year for brushheads, and now they change that to 6 months)

kevs #54417 05/01/20 01:28 PM

If computer sleeps at night, is malwarebytes is still running?
Depends on your definition of running. In my case MalwareBytes only "RUNS" (ie. conducts a scan) every 3 hours and if the computer is asleep there is no opportunity for it to be infected with malware, so why are you concerned about whether or not MalwareBytes is running?

The software, how does it get on your computer? How does someone put that there, and would it eventually open ? I don't 'think I've had issue with this yet, but.... and would like to save $30 years or so and not have to buy premium but maybe.. as years go on; the world becomes more malevolent?
The internet world IS MALEVOLENT. There are billions of dollars to be made with internet scams so many of the best and most highly paid software developers in the world are out to make money off of you through a rich variety of mechanisms some of which are even quasi-legal but all of which are extremely difficult or even impossible to prosecute. So your only real protection is prevention.

Wow I've never analyzed surge protectors. I just buy whatever and use them on power strips. So my computer probably does not even have an "electronic" grade, as I've never heard to term until today! But just buy a Belkin power strip or if you have an economical link to suggest on that?
You pay for what you get and Belkin like APC and Tripp-Lite make a wide range of surge protectors so brand name is no guarantee. Some manufacturers have online buying guides to help you choose, for example Tripp-Lite surge protector buying guide. Additionally a search for "surge protector buying guide" will turn up a number of 10 best lists from a variety of sources. Typically you won't find much of a price spread on the better grade products so Amazon is as good a source as most, but watch model numbers carefully and be sure your get the brand and model you are looking for.

I would never trust guidlines for replacement by companies who are replacing! (Sonicare used to say 1 year for brushheads, and now they change that to 6 months)
Yes and no, with high end products the manufacturers have a lot at stake, so they are careful to protect their reputation. By the way Sonicare now recommends replacing the brush heads every three months because the American Dental Association has established that as a standard for all brands.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54418 05/01/20 06:33 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

"f the computer is asleep there is no opportunity for it to be infected with malware,"

Joe: that a great point, how could I not think of that! That's why you are here I suppose!

I'm so used to idea that when sleep computer, nothing get done, or can work; but this is one case where that is good: Malware.

Ok, researching the surge protectors; but would be nice to know if ones I have are doing fine.. oh well..

Do you trust that with Sonicare? I don't, I think the original 6 months was fine; but they will double sales in future right?

Final on Malewarebytes; Have I just been lucky for 20 years? I gave up on anti virus when I got a Mac and have no issues.. I don't think.. Sure the Imac firewall is not doing the job ok Joe? Just trying save another $30 a year bill or so; but I am open to going premium. You tend to have a bit more products than I do, but maybe I've just been lucky.. It ransomwear.and more... somehow they get into your computer while you are online even with Macs now?

kevs #54419 05/01/20 11:26 PM

"f the computer is asleep there is no opportunity for it to be infected with malware,"

Joe: that a great point, how could I not think of that! That's why you are here I suppose.

I'm so used to idea that when sleep computer, nothing get done, or can work; but this is one case where that is good: Malware.!

Don't forget in System Preferences > Energy Saver IF "Wake for network access" is checked the system can be awakened by network access! 🤬

Do you trust that with Sonicare? I don't, I think the original 6 months was fine; but they will double sales in future right?

Don't put the blame for that on Sonicare. All tooth brush manufacturers, dental hygienists, and dentists have gone to a recommended 90 days as a result of research by the American Dental Association.

Final on Malewarebytes; Have I just been lucky for 20 years? I gave up on anti virus when I got a Mac and have no issues.. I don't think.. Sure the Imac firewall is not doing the job ok Joe? Just trying save another $30 a year bill or so; but I am open to going premium. You tend to have a bit more products than I do, but maybe I've just been lucky.. It ransomwear.and more... somehow they get into your computer while you are online even with Macs now?

Some of the most egregious Malware is installed by the user being sucked (or suckered) in by very high grade social engineering and the Mac has no protection against that. Some ransomeware doesn't have to be installed on the computer, but will fool the user into believing their system is locked up runs in any browser on any computer. And there are exploits that specifically target Macs. Macs are a hard target but they are not invulnerable.

My router has builtin malware protection and I was looking at the report this morning and it is blocking to anywhere from five to ten suspicious sites a day. As far as I can tell, most are third party advertisers on legitimate web sites and from search engine links. That doesn't count the ones that get past the router and are blocked at the browser level by Wipr, or the dozens of cookies removed by Cookie every day. Not being protected Remi ds me of the story about the window washer who fell from the top of the Empire State Building. As he fell the people on the floors below heard him as he passed by to say, "So far so good, So far so good…"

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54420 05/02/20 12:10 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

JOe thanks.

I'm not a conspiracist -- and I loathe those types, but geez, why would American Dental Association, say go to three month, when 6 month for brushes was fine for years? (who knows... good lobbying? just guess)

What are examples of why you might want "Wake for network access". I cant think of any so good to ask.

You router has protection; and Malwarebytes is on top of that..? It still a flip of the coin, but info is good. thanks.

kevs #54429 05/02/20 02:39 PM

I'm not a conspiracist -- and I loathe those types, but geez, why would American Dental Association, say go to three month, when 6 month for brushes was fine for years? (who knows... good lobbying? just guess)

I am not a conspiracy theorist either. My take on shortening the lifespan of toothbrushes was new research or higher standards.

What are examples of why you might want "Wake for network access". I cant think of any so good to ask.

I often access the Mac mini I use as a server which sits in a cabinet with no monitor and no keyboard from my Desktop Mac mini and/or iPad Pro using my Local Area Network. I have also been known to access my Desktop Mac mini in Texas using an iPad Pro from remote locations such as Walt Disney World in Florida via the internet.

You router has protection; and Malwarebytes is on top of that..? It still a flip of the coin, but info is good. thanks.

The router offers one kind of protection (it blocks access to sites known to be used by malefactors) Malwarebytes offers another kind of protection (it detects and quarantines any malware that may have been installed on my computer), Wipr works within Safari to block access to sites that may have gotten past the Router, Cookie protects my privacy by deleting tracking cookies installed by legitimate web sites. None of those duplicates any of the others instead each serves a unique purpose in a comprehensive protection scheme.

If I were truly paranoid and/or trafficking in sensitive data I would also use the TOR browser. or A VPN (Virtual Private Network) that hides any traces that could serve to identify me or my computer and uses onion routing to conceal my location anywhere in the world.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54459 05/03/20 11:39 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks again Joe, my router, is provided by ATT. Do you think it's blocking like yours is?

Cookies do you use a plug in? I've used some ad blocking things and cookie things but gave up as too many sites I want go on make an issue of it.. I'm now on Chrome for last month. Started with Safari, went to Firefox for 15 years, and now am with Chrome.

kevs #54463 05/04/20 02:25 PM

Thanks again Joe, my router, is provided by ATT. Do you think it's blocking like yours is?

I have no idea whether it is or not.
Cookies do you use a plug in? I've used some ad blocking things and cookie things but gave up as too many sites I want go on make an issue of it.. I'm now on Chrome for last month. Started with Safari, went to Firefox for 15 years, and now am with Chrome.

Starting with Safari 12 there are no plugins or extensions for Safari. Instead they have gone to using "applications" available through the App Store. For a few years now I have used Safari Technology Preview as my primary browser with occasional forays into TOR when extra security is wanted or Firefox if something weird is going on with a particular site.

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/04/20 02:27 PM. Reason: typo

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54474 05/06/20 12:07 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Any opinion on Chrome. I think most stable now for general purpose searching?

kevs #54476 05/06/20 01:26 PM

Any opinion on Chrome. I think most stable now for general purpose searching?

Personally I try to avoid Google products as much as possible because they turn my private data and browsing history into a marketable product. As for "general purpose searching" I think the choice of search engine is more important than the browser. I used DuckDuckGo as my default search engine and if I am doing really serious searching I will use DEVONAgent Pro, a stand alone application that runs on my Mac.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54479 05/06/20 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

Personally I try to avoid Google products as much as possible because they turn my private data and browsing history into a marketable product. As for "general purpose searching" I think the choice of search engine is more important than the browser. I use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine and if I am doing really serious searching I will use DEVONAgent Pro, a stand alone application that runs on my Mac.

You and me both on DuckDuckGo as the search engine. The only drawback is getting a bit tongue-tied when saying: "I'll have to DuckDuckGo that and see what it finds." laugh Thanks for the tip on DEVONAgentPro.

Last edited by ryck; 05/06/20 03:45 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #54481 05/06/20 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
[quote=kevs]... if I am doing really serious searching I will use DEVONAgent Pro, a stand alone application that runs on my Mac.

After reading this, I downloaded the light version of DEVONagent. I found it interesting: I use Little Snitch and I was fully expecting to have to allow DEVONagent to do searches, especially when I clicked on "Check for updates", but it seems to be invisible to Little Snitch. Any ideas? Thanks.

I like how it does the searches from the menu bar and the choices it offers. Don't know if the paid versions would be of any more use to me.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard