for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Coronavirus information: assorted web links
alternaut #54158 04/19/20 07:54 AM

Anybody else been unlucky enough to wander onto a Fox page and encounter the term "dem-panic?"

The comments on a Fox page are truly eye-opening. frown

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54159 04/19/20 10:17 AM

This FaceBook page has it right.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #54175 04/20/20 01:08 AM

Originally posted by 5577 in Networking:

The Aftermath of Covid 19

Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks.
The other half will come out with a drinking problem.

I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune.
Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.

I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.

Still haven't decided where to go for Easter ----- The Living Room or The Bedroom

PSA: every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit.
Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.

Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting
and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.

I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from
Standard Time to the Twilight Zone

This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her.
I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.

My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee
it cleans the toilet.

Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.

I'm so excited --- it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?

I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to Puerto Backyarda.
I'm getting tired of Los Livingrooms.

Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer
for good clean fun.

Day 6 of Homeschooling: My child just said "I hope I don't have the same
teacher next year".... I'm offended.

Better 6 feet apart than 6 feet under.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54176 04/20/20 01:11 AM

Originally posted by jaybass in Mac OS X Applications:

Interesting reading.

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. (mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.

* HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 77 degrees Fahreheit for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.

* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.

* Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.

* NO BACTERICIDE SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; they cannot kill what is not alive with anthobiotics, but quickly disintegrates its structure.

* NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only between 3 hours (fabric and porous), 4 hours (copper, because it is naturally antiseptic; and wood, because it removes all the moisture and does not let it peel off and disintegrates). ), 24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic). But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars. They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.

* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin, eventually causing wrinkles and skin cancer.

* The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.

* Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.

* NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.

* LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.

* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

* You have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.

* You have to HUMIDIFY HANDS DRY from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.

* Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there.

artie505 #54177 04/20/20 02:00 AM

Reality!

I just walked past one of the local funeral homes, and they've got a refrigerated truck body in their courtyard. frown

artie505 #54251 04/22/20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Reality!

I just walked past one of the local funeral homes, and they've got a refrigerated truck body in their courtyard. frown

FWIW that brought tears to my eyes for the people of New York — City and state — and a prayer of thanks for our Mayor and County Judge who shut things down here relatively early, hopefully flattening the infection curve and they aren't about to open until there has been adequate testing.

I envy you your governor, we watch his daily briefings for accurate and precise information and ignore the president's daily "I am the greatest" stump speech. We are stuck with a Trump sycophant governor for now at least. Fortunately our Mayor and County Judge have no hesitation saying NO to reopening and to h&%% with the pasture pies coming from D.C. and Austin.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54254 04/22/20 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Reality!

FWIW that brought tears to my eyes for the people of New York — City and state ....

That's very much appreciated!

That was a Jewish funeral home, of which there are any number - 3 within walking distance - and the truck body was a small one.

Today there's a full size refrigerated 40 footer in front of the only Muslim funeral home of which I"m aware, and I've been told that the local Muslim community has lost 700 people so far, which I must guess is a pretty respectable percentage, even allowing for what I think is a disproportionately large percentage of elderly people.

artie505 #54256 04/22/20 05:47 PM

COVID-19 doesn't give a 🤬 about gender, race, religion, country of origin, citizenship status, education level, political affiliation, economic status, physical handicaps, or any other way people try to differentiate themselves. It is truly and equal opportunity killer. Everyone needs to recognize that fact and realize that what we do effects not only ourselves but every one around us and vice. versa. We are each and every one in this fight together.

— Albert Einstein
alternaut #54327 04/24/20 11:57 PM

As though the fight wasn't tough enough, the disease has a scary new wrinkle.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
alternaut #54332 04/25/20 12:17 PM

It turns out that the droplets generated by sneezing may not be the only source of airborne particles. There may even be tiny particles, from speaking, that remain suspended in air, according to this study from the New England Journal of Medicine.

Last edited by ryck; 04/25/20 11:56 PM. Reason: Clarification

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
alternaut #54468 05/05/20 02:22 PM

Massachusetts General Hospital has released an inter-active coronavirus simulator to simulate the effect of different levels of social-distancing while opening states. It’s quite interesting.

MGH is the original and largest teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School and developed the tool in cooperation with Georgia Tech.

Last edited by ryck; 05/05/20 02:27 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #54472 05/05/20 10:24 PM

Add to that and senior officials in the Whitehouse have announced they are shutting down any further response to the COVID-19 pandemic to focus on the economy. What is their response going to be in August and September when Coronavirus spikes again and more dramatically than it has to date in the United States.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54473 05/05/20 11:01 PM

Add to that and senior officials in the Whitehouse have announced they are shutting down any further response to the COVID-19 pandemic to focus on the economy. What is their response going to be in August and September when Coronavirus spikes again and more dramatically than it has to date in the United States.

They're gonna try to postpone the election! frown mad

This administration is EVIL...willing to trade lives for power.

Last edited by artie505; 05/06/20 12:33 AM. Reason: More

artie505 #54480 05/06/20 03:44 PM

If I recall, the date for the presidential election is codified in the Constitution, so changing it might be difficult. Of course that does not mean they won't try.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #54483 05/06/20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
If I recall, the date for the presidential election is codified in the Constitution, so changing it might be difficult. Of course that does not mean they won't try.

I think you're correct, and if I remember correctly, there's precedent for letting the election go on on schedule in the Supreme Court ruling that ended the Florida "recount" in '04.

But as you say, that doesn't mean that they won't try.

Can you imagine their winning and Trump being president indefinitely until the "war on COVID" is declared "over."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!

artie505 #54524 05/08/20 05:41 PM

I've seen headlines similar to Dow Jones Futures Signal Strong Gains For Post-Coronavirus Stock Market Rally on more than one financial website.

"Post-Corona Virus???" Do they seriously think the restarting economy signals the end of the endemic?

It sounds like they consider Trump to be their medical expert on the subject! shocked crazy

alternaut #54587 05/16/20 12:29 AM

The Lancet has a scathing editorial about the damage President Bonespur has done to the CDC as the COVID 19 pandemic worsens.

Last edited by ryck; 05/16/20 08:47 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #54601 05/16/20 07:50 PM

"Post-Corona Virus???" Do they seriously think the restarting economy signals the end of the endemic?

Do they really think the stock market reflects the state of the economy the rest of us live in?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54602 05/16/20 09:26 PM

Do they really think the stock market reflects the state of the economy the rest of us live in?

It doesn't matter as long as the stock market is what the rest of us vote for. frown

artie505 #54613 05/17/20 04:01 PM

No....but they've probably come to the realization that the people most affected (i.e. have lost their jobs) are those who are in President Chlorox's base, and those affected people see that the bunch of people who shut things down are the one's who still have their high-paying jobs.

And that's why President Chlorox is willing to open the country up. He wants to be seen as 'on their side', and retain their votes, even at the expense of more American lives.

Last edited by ryck; 05/17/20 04:02 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #54614 05/17/20 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
And that's why President Chlorox is willing to open the country up. He wants to be seen as 'on their side', and retain their votes, even at the expense of more American lives.

That's an oxymoron: those "more American lives" will be MAGAt lives.

alternaut #54615 05/17/20 04:05 PM

Here's an interesting site with world wide statistics that can be viewed according to your interests.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #54616 05/17/20 04:13 PM

Coronavirus Update is more informative as well as more easily readable.

At the moment, its numbers are more current than those on your linked site.

Last edited by artie505; 05/17/20 04:15 PM.

artie505 #54617 05/17/20 04:17 PM

That's an oxymoron: those "more American lives" will be MAGAt lives.

More than MAGA people will die but, even keeping it to his base, it doesn't matter if it's oxymoronic. Trump doesn't care who dies (or how many) as long as the survivors in his base keep marking their ballots for him.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #54618 05/17/20 04:23 PM

The smaller his base gets, the deeper the skata he's in, because he's in great danger of losing the layer on top of his base that he MUST have if he's to win.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard