Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: I'm back about partitioning
artie505 #54222 04/21/20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: plantsower
Honestly, I rarely backup my Sierra. I was really into it at one point,but now I hardly ever think to.

Not to get preachy, but if you're not running Time Machine, which I think is the case, maintaining at least a reasonably current clone as backup in the event something goes wrong is in your best interests. (You bought the hardware; you may as well use it for the purpose for which you bought it. wink )

For what it is worth I feel compelled to add my wholehearted AMEN! to Artie's comment.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #54223 04/21/20 03:37 PM

Just thought of this!

When you boot into Recovery to repair Sierra 2015 you'll have access to Safari. Give Amazon a try.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54224 04/21/20 04:22 PM
OP Offline

OK, I am assuming I was to boot in recovery in my internal SSD. Because if I am in my external drive, rebooting would eject my ext drives as usual, right?

I booted into recovery. I chose Mac HD and it said it was repairing it.

I then chose my Mojave empty partition and then my empty Catalina partition. They both said the file systems were being repaired. What??? Nothing was in them. Anyway, I clicked on Safari via Recovery Drive and it said I was not connected to the internet, so I couldn't even go to the apple sight it pointed me to for questions. I went to my other Mac and it was connected to wi-fi just fine.

Woe is me! When this Corona things is all over and we can go to the Apple Store I probably will have to take mine in. It's an hour away. frown My AppleCare will be expired, but Apple told me that if I called with a question (which I did and they couldn't help) I could take it in for free after things are open. I hate to wait that long, but what else can I do?

Also, I am wondering if I use a couple of flash drives and put Mojave on one and Catalina on the other if it wouldn't make it all simpler for me as a backup. My clunky Passport External drive is a pain to use anyway. I've never used a flash drive, so I hope it's a simple process (for me).

No, I don't use Time Machine. I find it confusing to find what I need. I've tried it several times. I just don't like it.

Just thought of this!

When you boot into Recovery to repair Sierra 2015 you'll have access to Safari. Give Amazon a try.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54225 04/21/20 04:24 PM
OP Offline

Yep, I know I should back up regularly. I don't use Time Machine. I don't like it, that's why I got an external drive. Now I'm thinking about flash drives and hoping they will be easier for me to use.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Honestly, I rarely backup my Sierra. I was really into it at one point,but now I hardly ever think to.

Not to get preachy, but if you're not running Time Machine, which I think is the case, maintaining at least a reasonably current clone as backup in the event something goes wrong is in your best interests. (You bought the hardware; you may as well use it for the purpose for which you bought it. wink )

For what it is worth I feel compelled to add my wholehearted AMEN! to Artie's comment.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54226 04/21/20 04:30 PM
OP Offline

Nope. I used to use the free TechTool way back in the day, but it never seemed to do much of anything. I also hate paying for stuff like that. There used to be a free apple app called something like tool box or mechanic or something. The icon had a hammer and something else. I had to use it once and it worked perfectly and fixed the problem. I guess that's gone now.

Have you got TechTool Pro, Drive Genius, or anything of that ilk? [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54227 04/21/20 04:31 PM
OP Offline

The DNS numbers are still there, but that could change.

I wouldn't be surprised if the number reverts again.

I think it's your ISP that's doing it...wants you to use them as your DNS resolver. (My ISP probably did the same thing but didn't balk when I changed the numbers.) [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54228 04/21/20 04:34 PM
OP Offline

I checked and I am not signed into iCloud anywhere. Thank goodness.

I went into Sierra 2012 but it looked just like Sierra 2015.

I think you ought to do a bit of research and find out where iCloud settings are in Sierra 2015 and make sure it's not turned on before you start installing and cloning.

Getting back to dkmarsh's thought, your external is behaving as if it is.

More: How often do you update your Sierra clone under ordinary circumstances?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54229 04/21/20 05:30 PM

OK, I am assuming I was to boot in recovery in my internal SSD. Because if I am in my external drive, rebooting would eject my ext drives as usual, right?

Recovery has nothing to do with drives. "(Apple) macOS Recovery is part of the built-in recovery system of your Mac." It's a firmware function, I guess.

I booted into recovery. I chose Mac HD and it said it was repairing it.

I then chose my Mojave empty partition and then my empty Catalina partition. They both said the file systems were being repaired. What??? Nothing was in them.

Even though there's neither OS nor data in those partitions there's underlying macOS info that was created when you created them. That's what DU addressed.

But your original reason for booting into Recovery was specifically to repair Sierra 2015; did you do that?

Anyway, I clicked on Safari via Recovery Drive and it said I was not connected to the internet....

Recovery hasn't got access to the info on your drive, so you've got to click on the icon in the top right corner, select your network, and enter your password to get onto the Internet.

Please boot back into Recovery with your external attached and do the following:
  • Get Safari working and see if Amazon works for you. Regardless of whether it's "yes" or "no," it'll be the first concrete piece of info about your specific situation that we'll have.
  • Launch Disk Utility and
    • Repair Sierra 2015
    • Repair the top line item that names the manufacturer of your internal drive.
    • Repair the top line item that names the manufacturer of your external drive.
My AppleCare will be expired, but Apple told me that if I called with a question (which I did and they couldn't help) I could take it in for free after things are open.

I'm not sure why you think you need to go to the Apple Store, but yes, if you call in - and you always want to get a case number - before your AppleCare expires you're good for that particular issue afterwards.

Also, I am wondering if I use a couple of flash drives and put Mojave on one and Catalina on the other if it wouldn't make it all simpler for me as a backup. My clunky Passport External drive is a pain to use anyway. I've never used a flash drive, so I hope it's a simple process (for me).

I can't help you with that one, but why have you got a Mojave partition and a Catalina partition when you intend to install only one of the two OSs?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54230 04/21/20 06:20 PM
OP Offline

But your original reason for booting into Recovery was specifically to repair Sierra 2015; did you do that? Yep.

Recovery hasn't got access to the info on your drive, so you've got to click on the icon in the top right corner, select your network, and enter your password to get onto the Internet. Didn't know about that, thanks.

Please boot back into Recovery with your external attached and do the following:
  • Get Safari working and see if Amazon works for you. Regardless of whether it's "yes" or "no," it'll be the first concrete piece of info about your specific situation that we'll have. Done. Nope, same issues.
  • Launch Disk Utility and
    • Repair Sierra 2015
    • Repair the top line item that names the manufacturer of your internal drive.
    • Repair the top line item that names the manufacturer of your external drive.
Done and Done. Report said all was well. Tried Safari again. Same thing. When I tried Safari again I clicked on a product and then clicked on the stars. I got the message: Safari could not d/l the file "ref=acr_dpx_hist_5" because the disk doesn't have enough free space. Try deleting document or downloading to another disk.

My AppleCare will be expired, but Apple told me that if I called with a question (which I did and they couldn't help) I could take it in for free after things are open.

I'm not sure why you think you need to go to the Apple Store, but yes, if you call in - and you always want to get a case number - before your AppleCare expires you're good for that particular issue afterwards. Well, I was thinking I may need to go to the Apple Store if I can't get it fixed on my own with all the help I get on FTM.

I can't help you with that one, but why have you got a Mojave partition and a Catalina partition when you intend to install only one of the two OSs? [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54231 04/21/20 06:25 PM
OP Offline

I forgot to answer this question. Because I wasn't sure whether I would want both or not. I talked back and forth about it in earlier posts.

Why have you got a Mojave partition and a Catalina partition when you intend to install only one of the two OSs? [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54232 04/21/20 10:36 PM

RE: Flash drives. While it is possible to have a bootable coy of an OS on a flash drive, if you don't mind waiting five or ten minutes to boot up and every thing running as if it were in a jar of molasses stored in a refrigerator. They are totally inappropriate for Time Machine backups not only because they are painfully slow but they lack the capacity for the job. To top everything else off, they do not simplify the job.

External hard drives are cheap and easy to use if you do not over complicate things with multiple partitions and/or volumes.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54233 04/21/20 11:20 PM

Years ago I managed to get a stripped down version of, maybe Leopard, maybe Snowy, onto an 8 GB flash drive, and it booted remarkably quickly, no more than 3 minutes, and it actually ran OK.

For its emergency purpose, it was great.

joemikeb #54234 04/21/20 11:23 PM

Confirmation, please.

Rita experienced her same issue with Amazon with Safari while booted into Recovery. Am I correct in assuming that that takes her OS totally off the hook?

Thanks.

joemikeb #54235 04/22/20 02:58 AM
OP Offline

OK, that made me laugh out loud. I do know that when I go in as another user, it looks like I'm typing under water. Or is that when it's in safe mode? I can't remember. Oh well. Too lazy to check now.

RE: Flash drives. While it is possible to have a bootable coy of an OS on a flash drive, if you don't mind waiting five or ten minutes to boot up and every thing running as if it were in a jar of molasses stored in a refrigerator. They are totally inappropriate for Time Machine backups not only because they are painfully slow but they lack the capacity for the job. To top everything else off, they do not simplify the job.

External hard drives are cheap and easy to use if you do not over complicate things with multiple partitions and/or volumes.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54236 04/22/20 03:00 AM
OP Offline

Something to think about, although totally the opposite of what JoeMike said.

Years ago I managed to get a stripped down version of, maybe Leopard, maybe Snowy, onto an 8 GB flash drive, and it booted remarkably quickly, no more than 3 minutes, and it actually ran OK.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54237 04/22/20 03:06 AM
OP Offline

Thanks for putting that out there. Firefox doesn't work properly either, remember? I hope we can find a solution to all this. I know upgrading is what most people want me to do, but obviously some people can use High Sierra without problems. Maybe I can just go up a notch. Can anyone send me a link to High Sierra so I can try that? If so, will it just update my Sierra or do I have to use migration assistant if I want all the same apps I have now?

Confirmation, please.

Rita experienced her same issue with Amazon with Safari while booted into Recovery. Am I correct in assuming that that takes her OS totally off the hook?

Thanks.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54240 04/22/20 01:33 PM

Confirmation, please.

Thanks.
If you boot using ⌘R, the Recovery drive is a small subset of the version of MacOS that is currently installed on her boot drive. If you boot using ⌥⌘R that uses the internet Recovery Drive and I have no idea what MacOS version that would be a subset of.

Given that a Recovery Drive image will boot almost any Mac made in the last decade, I would be surprised if there was anything sufficiently version specific to make any difference one way or another on accessing an internet web site. However, under the circumstances it would appear to eliminate any user or system settings, extensions, utilities, etc.

If we weren't all sheltering in place I would suggest taking the MacBook to a Starbucks, or some similar location, connecting to their WiFi and seeing if the results are any different. Based on the prior results with Rita's iPhone I suspect they will be. That would appear to leave the ISP, modem, or Router as the culprit.

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #54242 04/22/20 03:13 PM

Something to think about, although totally the opposite of what JoeMike said.

Totally in keeping, but not in agreement, with what joemike said:

While it is possible to have a bootable coy of an OS on a flash drive, if you don't mind waiting five or ten minutes to boot up and every thing running as if it were in a jar of molasses stored in a refrigerator.

plantsower #54243 04/22/20 03:20 PM

Tried Safari again. Same thing.[/color] When I tried Safari again I clicked on a product and then clicked on the stars. I got the message: Safari could not d/l the file "ref=acr_dpx_hist_5" because the disk doesn't have enough free space. Try deleting document or downloading to another disk.

That's because Recovery isn't an OS and doesn't have any ability or even space to accept downloads. The "free space" pop-up was probably the best it could do.

plantsower #54244 04/22/20 03:24 PM

I forgot to answer this question. Because I wasn't sure whether I would want both or not. I talked back and forth about it in earlier posts.

Originally Posted By: artie
Why have you got a Mojave partition and a Catalina partition when you intend to install only one of the two OSs?

Got it, but unless you intend to install both of them you'll only need one partition. You can change its name on the fly any time you like.

plantsower #54246 04/22/20 03:39 PM

Confirmation, please.

Thanks.

Thanks for putting that out there. Firefox doesn't work properly either, remember? I hope we can find a solution to all this. I know upgrading is what most people want me to do, but obviously some people can use High Sierra without problems. Maybe I can just go up a notch. Can anyone send me a link to High Sierra so I can try that? If so, will it just update my Sierra or do I have to use migration assistant if I want all the same apps I have now?

As respects that experiment, Firefox is academic, but in keeping with joemike's recent post let's give Recovery > Safari one more shot, but this time use a command-option-R boot, and let's see what happens. (I'm not the least bit optimistic, but let's play out all the options.)

The "Get from App Store" link on this MacUpdate page takes me to the App Store page from which you can d/l High Sierra.

If you d/l and run the installer from within Sierra 2015 it will point to Sierra 2015 by default and upgrade it with no loss of data or apps.

But again, let's hold off on that until we run out of other options.

artie505 #54247 04/22/20 03:46 PM

Rita is there a Starbucks or similar nearby that you might go and park outside the store, but your Mac is in range of their WiFi and see if the problem persists? I was out this morning and stopped in front of a Starbucks and my iPhone immediately connected to their WiFi so it is working even if the store is closed but the drive through is open. That test would be VERY informative.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54248 04/22/20 03:57 PM

Rita is there a Starbucks or similar nearby that you might go and park outside the store, but your Mac is in range of their WiFi and see if the problem persists? I was out this morning and stopped in front of a Starbucks and my iPhone immediately connected to their WiFi so it is working even if the store is closed but the drive through is open. That test would be VERY informative.

Precisely what I was thinking but didn't post quickly enough!

joemikeb #54249 04/22/20 04:23 PM
OP Offline

I do have a Starbucks in town that I can park in front of. I will try it. I hope I don't need a password.

Confirmation, please.

Thanks.
If you boot using ⌘R, the Recovery drive is a small subset of the version of MacOS that is currently installed on her boot drive. If you boot using ⌥⌘R that uses the internet Recovery Drive and I have no idea what MacOS version that would be a subset of.

Given that a Recovery Drive image will boot almost any Mac made in the last decade, I would be surprised if there was anything sufficiently version specific to make any difference one way or another on accessing an internet web site. However, under the circumstances it would appear to eliminate any user or system settings, extensions, utilities, etc.

If we weren't all sheltering in place I would suggest taking the MacBook to a Starbucks, or some similar location, connecting to their WiFi and seeing if the results are any different. Based on the prior results with Rita's iPhone I suspect they will be. That would appear to leave the ISP, modem, or Router as the culprit.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54250 04/22/20 04:25 PM
OP Offline

Good to know. I was thinking about renaming it if I had to.

Originally Posted By: artie
Why have you got a Mojave partition and a Catalina partition when you intend to install only one of the two OSs?

Got it, but unless you intend to install both of them you'll only need one partition. You can change its name on the fly any time you like.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard