for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: I'm back about partitioning
plantsower #54284 04/23/20 05:35 PM

Doh! I spaced out and confused the sizes of the partitions with the sizes of their contents.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #54285 04/23/20 06:17 PM

Perfect!

Now please copy & paste
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk1 of=/dev/null conv=noerror bs=5120
into Terminal and hit "return."

If you get a "Warning" pop-up, click past it and enter your password at the prompt. You won't see any indication that you've entered anything, but hit "return" anyhow.

I've got absolutely no idea how long this command will take to run. It depends on HDD size, connection speed, computer speed, and block size (which I"ve adjusted to make it run faster). I'm going to guess an hour or two, and I may be WILDLY off in either direction.

Please go to /System/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor and look for process "dd" to ensure that the process is running after you've presumably started it in Terminal.

"dd" runs in the background, so you can go about your normal computing activities while it's running.

Please post your results when the process has run its course.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54286 04/23/20 06:36 PM
OP Offline

I am assuming we are still in the external HD?

Originally Posted By: artie505
Perfect!

Now please copy & paste
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk1 of=/dev/null conv=noerror bs=5120
into Terminal and hit "return."

If you get a "Warning" pop-up, click past it and enter your password at the prompt. You won't see any indication that you've entered anything, but hit "return" anyhow.

I've got absolutely no idea how long this command will take to run. It depends on HDD size, connection speed, computer speed, and block size (which I"ve adjusted to make it run faster). I'm going to guess an hour or two, and I may be WILDLY off in either direction.

Please go to /System/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor and look for process "dd" to ensure that the process is running after you've presumably started it in Terminal.

"dd" runs in the background, so you can go about your normal computing activities while it's running.

Please post your results when the process has run its course.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54289 04/23/20 07:15 PM

After all this is settled, you need to strongly consider a round of MAJOR housecleaning getting rid of old MacOS versions and repartitioning and reformatting both of your drives. Your drives are becoming so fractured the partitions may become unusably small and unlike APFS volumes removing a partition may not be possible or it may destroy data in other partitions. You really need to simplify.

Your idea of moving partitions with antique MacOS versions to thumb drives may be the best solution to your current situation after all! (Then you can throw them into a desk drawer and forget them.😉)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #54294 04/23/20 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower

You want to be booted into Sierra 2015 Macintosh HD on your internal SSD with your external HDD connected when you run the command.

Technically, you could also run it while booted into a bootable partition on your external, but since your external is suspect, let's avoid using it and stick to your REAL OS, i.e. the one on your internal.

Last edited by artie505; 04/24/20 12:43 AM. Reason: Complete rewrite

plantsower #54295 04/24/20 12:54 AM

I"ve been trying to figure out how to explain this, and I think I've finally got it.

When you're booted into Macintosh HD on your internal, and your external is connected, EVERY other partition and the OS on it, on both your internal and external drives, is a "subset" of Macintosh HD.

That is, MHD is the partition/OS you're actually using, and you can't use any of the others, but you can manipulate them and the data on them with Disk Utility, Terminal and Finder.

So when you say "we are still in the external HD" you're drawing a meaningless distinction.

We're "manipulating" the external without actually being in it (although we could be in it if we preferred).

artie505 #54297 04/24/20 03:07 AM
OP Offline

You confused me. So, I connect the external drive and click on Sierra 2015 on my external drive, then run terminal? I don't know how to run something on my internal drive with an external drive connected. It seems contradictory. Please clear this up for me. In your attempt to clear it up, you made it worse. LOL!

You want to be booted into Sierra 2015 Macintosh HD on your internal SSD with your external HDD connected when you run the command.

Technically, you could also run it while booted into a bootable partition on your external, but since your external is suspect, let's avoid using it and stick to your REAL OS, i.e. the one on your internal.

Last edited by plantsower; 04/24/20 03:11 AM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54299 04/24/20 03:33 AM

I dunno. I thought
Originally Posted By: artie
was pretty explicit.

I guess this is why I'm one of the only people in my entire large family who's not a teacher.

No! You boot into your internal drive - Macintosh HD - connect your external, launch Terminal - The only Terminal you can launch is the one on the partition into which you're booted. - and run the command, which will perform a "surface scan" on your external...not any specific partition, but the drive itself.

You DO NOT need to be booted into the external to run the command on it, because, as I tried to explain, it's a "subset" of MHD, or think of it as just another folder, the contents of which happen to be macOS installations rather than documents.

artie505 #54300 04/24/20 04:10 AM
OP Offline

OK. So, I attach the external drive but I don't boot into it by using the option key. I just connect it to my computer and then run terminal. I think I have it straight now. I will do it tomorrow. Thanks for getting back to me.

I dunno. I thought
Originally Posted By: artie
was pretty explicit.

I guess this is why I'm one of the only people in my entire large family who's not a teacher.

No! You boot into your internal drive - Macintosh HD - connect your external, launch Terminal - The only Terminal you can launch is the one on the partition into which you're booted. - and run the command, which will perform a "surface scan" on your external...not any specific partition, but the drive itself.

You DO NOT need to be booted into the external to run the command on it, because, as I tried to explain, it's a "subset" of MHD, or think of it as just another folder, the contents of which happen to be macOS installations rather than documents.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54301 04/24/20 07:22 AM

OK. So, I attach the external drive but I don't boot into it by using the option key. I just connect it to my computer and then run terminal.

That's correct.

artie505 #54306 04/24/20 03:18 PM
OP Offline

I will do that. I didn't think my mac would recognize the extended HD without booting into it. Here goes... Uh oh. Got this message in Terminal: [b]Last login: Thu Apr 23 11:33:24 on console
MacBook-Pro:~ myname$ sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk1 of=/dev/null conv=noerror bs=5120
Password:
dd: /dev/rdisk1: No such file or directory

[/b]

Update: Oops, I forgot to connect my ext. hd. I did connect it and tried Terminal again but it wouldn't let me erase the first message. How to I clear it? I quit Terminal but it's still there. Why is this so hard?

OK. So, I attach the external drive but I don't boot into it by using the option key. I just connect it to my computer and then run terminal.

That's correct.

Last edited by alternaut; 04/27/20 02:07 AM. Reason: Removed personal info

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54307 04/24/20 03:36 PM

I will do that. I didn't think my mac would recognize the extended HD without booting into it. Here goes... Uh oh. Got this message in Terminal: Last login: Thu Apr 23 11:33:24 on console
MacBook-Pro:~ myname$ sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk1 of=/dev/null conv=noerror bs=5120
Password:
dd: /dev/rdisk1: No such file or directory

Update: Oops, I forgot to connect my ext. hd. I did connect it and tried Terminal again but it wouldn't let me erase the first message. How to I clear it? I quit Terminal but it's still there. Why is this so hard?

Terminal is tricky! I went through the same aggravation long ago, with the same process, I think. "dd" keeps running even after you quit Terminal; control-C should terminate it.

You need to edit out your name if that's your preference.

Last edited by alternaut; 04/27/20 02:08 AM. Reason: Removed personal info

artie505 #54308 04/24/20 03:48 PM
OP Offline

I typed in "clear" into Terminal to clear it per instructions on the net. It didn't work. I still got this:

https://imgur.com/aJSAbeS

wtmp begins Wed Jul 3 09:52
MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$ MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$ sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk1 of=/dev/null conv=noerror bs=5120
-bash: MacBook-Pro:~: command not found
MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$ Password:
-bash: Password:: command not found
MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$ dd: /dev/rdisk1: No such file or directory
-bash: dd:: command not found
MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$ clear

That's correct.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54309 04/24/20 03:52 PM

Did you hit control-C as I suggested?

You need to edit out your name in post #54306.

artie505 #54310 04/24/20 04:00 PM
OP Offline

Yes. I hadn't read your note yet, but now I hit control -C. I didn't forget to clear my name, I just missed it. I cleared it everywhere I saw it. Then I did Terminal again and got this:

Last login: Fri Apr 24 09:21:09 on ttys000
MacBook-Pro:~ $
MacBook-Pro:~ $ wtmp begins Wed Jul 3 09:52
-bash: wtmp: command not found
MacBook-Pro:~ $ MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$ MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$ sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk1 of=/dev/null conv=noerror bs=5120
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `my'
MacBook-Pro:~ $ -bash: MacBook-Pro:~: command not found
-bash: -bash:: command not found
MacBook-Pro:~ $ MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$ Password:
MacBook-Pro:~ $ -bash: Password:: command not found
MacBook-Pro:~ $ MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$ dd: /dev/rdisk1: No such file or directory
MacBook-Pro:~ $ -bash: dd:: command not found
MacBook-Pro:~ $ MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$ clear

I tried Control-C again after this above and all it did was keep adding my name. It wouldn't clear! I'm starting to not like Termina
l.

Did you hit control-C as I suggested?

You need to edit out your name in post #54306.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54311 04/24/20 04:12 PM

As I said, Terminal's tricky. Many posters here won't even dip a toe into it.

That last line is confusing me: MacBook-Pro:~ $ MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$ clear

Where did the "clear" come from? Without it it looks like a standard prompt that you'd expect when you terminate a process.

If you search /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor for dd, does it come up, i.e. is the process still running?

artie505 #54312 04/24/20 04:37 PM

If "dd" is running in AM, try to quit/force quit it, and see what happens in Terminal.

If that doesn't work, shut down your MBP and see what happens when you start it up again. (If you get a pop-up that "xyz process" is preventing shutdown, go back to AM and quit/force quit xyz process.)

Last edited by artie505; 04/24/20 04:49 PM. Reason: More

artie505 #54313 04/24/20 04:57 PM
OP Offline

I didn't know which process to look into so I looked into them all. I didn't see any dd. The word "clear" came from typing it in like you said so I could clear the AM.

As I said, Terminal's tricky. Many posters here won't even dip a toe into it.

That last line is confusing me: MacBook-Pro:~ $ MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$ clear

Where did the "clear" come from? Without it it looks like a standard prompt that you'd expect when you terminate a process.

If you search /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor for dd, does it come up, i.e. is the process still running?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54314 04/24/20 04:58 PM
OP Offline

I still don't see dd anywhere.

If "dd" is running in AM, try to quit/force quit it, and see what happens in Terminal.

If that doesn't work, shut down your MBP and see what happens when you start it up again. (If you get a pop-up that "xyz process" is preventing shutdown, go back to AM and quit/force quit xyz process.)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54315 04/24/20 05:07 PM

I didn't know which process to look into so I looked into them all. I didn't see any dd. The word "clear" came from typing it in like you said so I could clear the AM.

There's a search field in AM's top right corner. You type in "dd" and see if you get an exact hit.

I never said anything about typing "clear" anywhere; you got that from somewhere on the web, and it's a totally wrong command.

Meanwhile, it sounds like control-C terminated the process for you.

Please copy & paste what you see in Terminal if you quit and relaunch it...BEFORE you enter any commands.

More: You still haven't edited your name out of post #54306.

artie505 #54316 04/24/20 05:23 PM
OP Offline

You're right. I put in "clear" from off the web like I told you. It wasn't you, I now remember. I put the dd in search before I looked at the processes and nothing popped up.

I don't know why my name keeps popping up. I swear I looked and deleted what I could. I'm not going to worry about it. I like privacy as much as the next person, but, again, I'm just not worried about it.

I just now quit Terminal and relaunched. Here is what is says minus my name. smile

Last login: Fri Apr 24 11:22:19 on ttys000
MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$

There's a search field in AM's top right corner. You type in "dd" and see if you get an exact hit.

I never said anything about typing "clear" anywhere; you got that from somewhere on the web, and it's a totally wrong command.

Meanwhile, it sounds like control-C terminated the process for you.

Please copy & paste what you see in Terminal if you quit and relaunch it...BEFORE you enter any commands.

More: You still haven't edited your name out of post #54306.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54317 04/24/20 08:12 PM

I just now quit Terminal and relaunched. Here is what is says minus my name. smile

OK, great! control-C turned the trick, and that's a standard Terminal prompt waiting for a command.

Now:
  • Enter the command I gave you.
  • Hit return.
  • Enter your password. (As I said, you won't see anything, not even stars.)
  • Hit return again.
If everything is working correctly you won't see any indication that anything is happening, and that means that the command is running.

When the command has run it's course it will populate Terminal with its results, and you'll see the prompt again. It's NOT finished until you see the prompt.

Then post your results.

artie505 #54318 04/24/20 08:51 PM
OP Offline

It's running now I guess. What will the prompt say, and what do I do with it when it shows, or will it tell me what to do since it's a prompt? wink

OK, great! control-C turned the trick, and that's a standard Terminal prompt waiting for a command.

Now:
  • Enter the command I gave you.
  • Hit return.
  • Enter your password. (As I said, you won't see anything, not even stars.)
  • Hit return again.
If everything is working correctly you won't see any indication that anything is happening, and that means that the command is running.

When the command has run it's course it will populate Terminal with its results, and you'll see the prompt again. It's NOT finished until you see the prompt.

Then post your results.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54319 04/24/20 09:33 PM

The prompt is
Quote:
MacBook-Pro:~ (your name)$

It indicates the previous command has finished executing and the system is waiting for another command.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #54320 04/24/20 09:45 PM

It's running now I guess. What will the prompt say, and what do I do with it when it shows, or will it tell me what to do since it's a prompt? wink

The prompt is "MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$."

When you see it, it means that your command has finished running and Terminal is "prompting" you to enter your next command, but you haven't got a next command, so just copy your entire Terminal screen and paste it into a post.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard