FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: I'm back about partitioning
artie505 #54143 04/18/20 04:36 PM
OP Offline

Sorry about that (asking questions when you were sleeping). I looked online on FTM to see when you'd made your last post and it looked like you might still be awake. Anyway, I don't need Mavericks. I kept it just in case, but I can delete it. I do know someone who has my ISP. I will ask them to check for me. That was a great idea. I'll also find out what version OS they are using. I did update Safari yesterday and some security stuff, but it's still doing the same thing. I'll check with my friend before I download Mojave or Catalina. Because if it does the same thing after that, I would want to pull my hair out! Oh, and I don't have auto-update turned on because, as you know, I don't like to update unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks again for all your checking and time. I'm guessing that people from AppleCare are working from home now and that's why they can't screen share with me to get the full picture.

Rita

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: plantsower
I went into my external HD and checked Mavericks. I couldn't bring up Safari because I got this message: "You can't use this version of the app safari.app with this version of Mac OS. You have safari.app 9.1.1." So, it looks like I can't even use Mavericks from my external H.D. May as well delete it.

Anyway, I also looked at Sierra on the Ex. HD and yes, it has the same bookmarks as Mavericks, though my internal HD Sierra does not.

Hi, again, Rita,

I think it's time to start thinking bigger than an exorcist...a reality show, maybe? tongue

I assume you could get into Safari in Mavericks at some point - How else could you have found out that the Sierra bookmarks are there? - but I'm at a loss as to why you no longer can.

Perhaps you've got auto-update turned on and you got an incomplete update? Under any circumstances, though, if you want to retain Mavericks, software update should offer you a Safari update that will get you back into it.

dkmarsh's iCloud guess for the bookmarks sounds like a good one, but I wasn't a cloud guy until Catalina, so I can't tell you where to look.

Sorry I can't do any better with either of your issues.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54144 04/18/20 04:49 PM

When I over the ratings on Amazon I get a momentary flash of a small white square which is immediately replaced with this. I have content blockers turned OFF for Amazon pages.

SIDEBAR: I find I am having to turn content blockers off on more and more sites in order to get them to load correctly or in some cases to load at all. The battle between advertisers and privacy advocates is escalating to yet a new level.
😡🤬🤯🔥

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54146 04/18/20 05:08 PM
OP Offline

Yes, I get the white square also, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at in Imgur. Because when I get the stars box like you show, I then click on one of them and it goes into my download folder. Did that happen to you? If so, it's not my computer it's something wacky at Amazon. I also get crazy stuff on Firefox, so I should have realized that updating Safari and Security stuff would make no difference. Even though we turn off our content blockers, I wonder if the security settings from Apple is causing a problem like a blocker does.

I also am finding out that I can't use my content blockers on several sites like you said. They are bound and determined that we have to see it all even though it causes bad feelings from their customers. It makes no sense to me.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
When I over the ratings on Amazon I get a momentary flash of a small white square which is immediately replaced with this. I have content blockers turned OFF for Amazon pages.

SIDEBAR: I find I am having to turn content blockers off on more and more sites in order to get them to load correctly or in some cases to load at all. The battle between advertisers and privacy advocates is escalating to yet a new level.
😡🤬🤯🔥

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54147 04/18/20 05:09 PM
OP Offline

And, I'm assuming, you have the latest of everything. So getting Catalina won't help me, right?

😡🤬🤯🔥

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54150 04/18/20 06:34 PM

Yes, I get the white square also, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at in Imgur. Because when I get the stars box like you show, I then click on one of them and it goes into my download folder. Did that happen to you? If so, it's not my computer it's something wacky at Amazon.

It depends on where I click in the stars box. If I click on the line with the five stars I get all the five star ratings, If I click on the four star Line I get the four star ratings, etc..

I recall recently reading a post describing an problem where the pointer on the screen was not where the action would occur when the user clicked, but even using DEVONAgent Pro I can't find the reference. If I recall correctly the solution in the case was an upgrade to the browser. 😧

I also am finding out that I can't use my content blockers on several sites like you said. They are bound and determined that we have to see it all even though it causes bad feelings from their customers. It makes no sense to me.

Advertisers pay serious money to put their products in front of the buying public and the number of places where that can happen are whittling down rather dramatically. There are far fewer newspapers and magazines and the remaining ones have even fewer readers. More and more television content is moving to streaming services and thanks to video recorders viewers are able to bypass the advertising. Billboards are strictly limited. So the only remaining media available to advertisers is online. So advertisers are not unreasonable in wanting to put their products in front of you and frankly they don't care if it is annoying as long as a small, even very small, percentage click through and buy. They only need a minute percentage of purchasers because there are so many viewers and if they irritate you they really don't care.

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #54151 04/18/20 07:13 PM

And, I'm assuming, you have the latest of everything. So getting Catalina won't help me, right?

Amazon works for me in Catalina so there is every reason to believe it would work for you also, but there are no absolute guarantees, because the issue may be something installed on your computer and external to the MacOS or browser.

I encourage you to turn on the automatic update. As Artie has learned it keeps things running smoothly and the updates for the most part go unnoticed except for a notification on your screen that it has occurred. Like you, my wife is not amused with change, as a retired Presbyterian minister she would much rather be studying the latest trends in theology than in MacOS, but she has reconciled herself to the regular updates because they typically have very little impact on how she works on the computer. Any impact that it does have is generally so small that she quickly adapts to it. Even a major upgrade is no big deal because she has worked up to it in small increments. In your case you are faced with a significant learning curve specifically because you have postponed the inevitable upGRADE so you have a lot of steps to climb at once rather than one at a time.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54156 04/19/20 03:17 AM
OP Offline

Well, I guess it works for you. Darn! Well, that's good I guess. smile

I get why advertisers do what they do, but I rarely, if ever, buy anything from an advertisement.

Yes, I get the white square also, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at in Imgur. Because when I get the stars box like you show, I then click on one of them and it goes into my download folder. Did that happen to you? If so, it's not my computer it's something wacky at Amazon.

It depends on where I click in the stars box. If I click on the line with the five stars I get all the five star ratings, If I click on the four star Line I get the four star ratings, etc..

I recall recently reading a post describing an problem where the pointer on the screen was not where the action would occur when the user clicked, but even using DEVONAgent Pro I can't find the reference. If I recall correctly the solution in the case was an upgrade to the browser. 😧

Advertisers pay serious money to put their products in front of the buying public and the number of places where that can happen are whittling down rather dramatically. There are far fewer newspapers and magazines and the remaining ones have even fewer readers. More and more television content is moving to streaming services and thanks to video recorders viewers are able to bypass the advertising. Billboards are strictly limited. So the only remaining media available to advertisers is online. So advertisers are not unreasonable in wanting to put their products in front of you and frankly they don't care if it is annoying as long as a small, even very small, percentage click through and buy. They only need a minute percentage of purchasers because there are so many viewers and if they irritate you they really don't care.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54157 04/19/20 03:25 AM
OP Offline

Your wife doesn't like change either, but if she had waited like I have, at least she would have you to walk her through all the mazes!!

Is there a way to check what may be causing me my problem? I have disabled all my extensions which made no difference. Anything else that's not too complicated? Could it be Malwarebytes? There doesn't seem to be a way to disable that. And I only have the freeware, so it works manually only.

I may take you up on letting things automatically update. I may have been stubborn too long. I still have my other MacBook should I need to get something done while I'm in my learning curve. Expect lots of tears. It always happens when there's a major Mac change. Crummy mood for at least a week. tongue

Amazon works for me in Catalina so there is every reason to believe it would work for you also, but there are no absolute guarantees, because the issue may be something installed on your computer and external to the MacOS or browser.

I encourage you to turn on the automatic update. As Artie has learned it keeps things running smoothly and the updates for the most part go unnoticed except for a notification on your screen that it has occurred. Like you, my wife is not amused with change, as a retired Presbyterian minister she would much rather be studying the latest trends in theology than in MacOS, but she has reconciled herself to the regular updates because they typically have very little impact on how she works on the computer. Any impact that it does have is generally so small that she quickly adapts to it. Even a major upgrade is no big deal because she has worked up to it in small increments. In your case you are faced with a significant learning curve specifically because you have postponed the inevitable upGRADE so you have a lot of steps to climb at once rather than one at a time.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54160 04/19/20 10:57 AM

What if Rita created a new user to see if the browser/Amazon problem follows her there? Or has this already been tried?

Or clearing the browser cache?

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #54161 04/19/20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: freelance
What if Rita created a new user to see if the browser/Amazon problem follows her there? Or has this already been tried?

And I was just about to suggest a safe boot.

Troubleshooting is slowly becoming a lost art.

OK, Rita:
  1. Clear browser cache:
    1. Hit command-option-E
    2. Quit Safari.
    3. Launch Safari.
    4. Try Amazon.
  2. Log in to a pristine user account:
    1. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups (or whatever it's called in Sierra)
    2. Enter your password to unlock the padlock.
    3. If you've got "Guest User" in your sidebar enable it.
    4. If not, click on the plus sign and create a new account. (Admin or not doesn't matter.)
    5. Log in to whichever account you've enabled.
    6. Try Amazon.
  3. How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support:
    1. Boot into safe mode as per instructions in linked doc.
    2. Try Amazon.
  4. Keep your fingers and toes crossed the entire time.
  5. Report back.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54162 04/19/20 02:19 PM

It is also helpful to dance naked around the computer at midnight. The last time I tried it, the computer was fixed but the cat threw up. mad

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
plantsower #54163 04/19/20 02:33 PM

Sorry about that (asking questions when you were sleeping). I looked online on FTM to see when you'd made your last post and it looked like you might still be awake.

Don't be silly! We're on different coasts, and there's never any telling when I'll be awake or asleep, and the bottom line is who cares if you post as long as you don't ring my phone? You post when you're awake, and I"ll always respond the next time I'm awake. smile

Anyway, I don't need Mavericks. I kept it just in case, but I can delete it.

I would at this point. It's waaay outdated.

I do know someone who has my ISP. I will ask them to check for me. That was a great idea. I'll also find out what version OS they are using.

I'm really curious about that one.

Oh, and I don't have auto-update turned on because, as you know, I don't like to update unless I absolutely have to.

I've got to correct joemike on this one. I don't use auto update, because I want to see what's going to happen before it's a fait accompli. I used to wait several days or longer to update, but now I"m down to 24-48 hours, and that's due to a large degree to the fact that I"ve got joemike doing reconnaissance for me. (If Custer had had joemike as his scout, history would be different. grin )

Let's see how all the various up-in-the-air suggestions play out.

I'm not convinced that an upgrade alone will solve your problem, because Amazon worked just fine for me in High Sierra, and the fact that it doesn't work on your husband's iMac suggests that there's more than OS version in play here.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54165 04/19/20 03:38 PM

I'm not convinced that an upgrade alone will solve your problem, because Amazon worked just fine for me in High Sierra, and the fact that it doesn't work on your husband's iMac suggests that there's more than OS version in play here.
Please notice that I hedged my bet on Catalina
Also remember this about my scouting. It is based on my experience with beta releases (I am currently running MacOS 10.15.5, iOS 13.4.5, and iPadOS 13.4.5) and Apple has been know to remove features in the release version that were present in the beta or to drop in a last minute security patch that wasn't in the beta. So while I am out there in front, like the Commanche my then 18 year old great great grandfather scouted in the Republic of Texas, Apple can be tricky to scout.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54168 04/19/20 04:27 PM
OP Offline

If I turn on automatic update, will it automatically update my OS to Catalina?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54169 04/19/20 04:44 PM
OP Offline

OK, I did all those things to no avail. Another weird thing that is happening is that even if I can get to the "stars" and have them open, they stay on the original stars. In other words, when I click on 5 stars, 5 star reviews open up. If I then click on 3 stars, only 5 stars open. It just stays with the first choice. So weird. I'm still waiting for my friend with the same ISP to respond.

I did an experiment and opened Amazon on my iPhone. I had to tap the stars several times to see reviews, but finally they opened, but sometimes they don't. I turned off wi-fi and used my cellular data and the reviews worked fine! So, may it is my ISP???

OK, Rita:
  1. Clear browser cache:
    1. Hit command-option-E
    2. Quit Safari.
    3. Launch Safari.
    4. Try Amazon.
    1. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups (or whatever it's called in Sierra)
    4. If not, click on the plus sign and create a new account. (Admin or not doesn't matter.)
    6. Try Amazon.
    2. Try Amazon.
  5. Report back.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54170 04/19/20 06:42 PM
OP Offline

So, our friend has the same ISP and has High Sierra. He has no problems with the reviews. I also had no problems when I used my cell phone without wi-fi. So, now my question is: Could it be our router? It's a Belkin and pretty old. I don't know the model number. I've noticed that most of the routers nowadays have obvious antennas on them except for some of the mesh routers. What do you think?

I've resisted getting a new router because I don't know how to set it up, and am afraid I could screw everything up and then we have no internet.

I also have older TP-Link power adaptors working off our router to power our Tivo. I don't want that messed up either.

OK, Rita:
  1. Clear browser cache:
    1. Hit command-option-E
    2. Quit Safari.
    3. Launch Safari.
    4. Try Amazon.
    6. Try Amazon.
    2. Try Amazon.
  5. Report back.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54171 04/19/20 06:53 PM

Unplug your router, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in and once it has re-establiished a good connection you might find your solution.....

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #54172 04/19/20 07:31 PM
OP Offline

Unfortunately, I am always unplugging my router for various reasons. It's already been done. frown No difference.

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
Unplug your router, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in and once it has re-establiished a good connection you might find your solution.....

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54178 04/20/20 06:44 AM

Please notice that I hedged my bet on Catalina.

I didn't miss it. I was just doubling down on it with a point.

Also remember this about my scouting. It is based on my experience with beta releases (I am currently running MacOS 10.15.5, iOS 13.4.5, and iPadOS 13.4.5) and Apple has been know to remove features in the release version that were present in the beta or to drop in a last minute security patch that wasn't in the beta. So while I am out there in front, like the Commanche my then 18 year old great great grandfather scouted in the Republic of Texas, Apple can be tricky to scout.

Nothing's guaranteed, of course, which is why I still wait a day or two rather than dive right in.

plantsower #54179 04/20/20 06:55 AM

If I turn on automatic update, will it automatically update my OS to Catalina?

Take a look at what Software Update offers; auto-update will presumably give you the same thing.

plantsower #54180 04/20/20 07:08 AM

So, our friend has the same ISP and has High Sierra. He has no problems with the reviews.

Well, the problem now appears to have been narrowed down to something within your four walls, so let's go for the one remaining opportunity for failure of which I'm aware: clearing cookies (which has never been mentioned, so I'm guessing that it hasn't been done).

First do a command-option-E; it will clear cache and make the list with which you've got to work next far less cumbersome.

Now go to Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Manage Website Data... and delete not just Amazon items, but every item that hasn't got the name of a website that you ordinarily visit.

Quit/relaunch Safari.

Holding my breath!

plantsower #54184 04/20/20 12:39 PM

So, our friend has the same ISP and has High Sierra. He has no problems with the reviews. I also had no problems when I used my cell phone without wi-fi. So, now my question is: Could it be our router? It's a Belkin and pretty old. I don't know the model number. I've noticed that most of the routers nowadays have obvious antennas on them except for some of the mesh routers. What do you think?

I've resisted getting a new router because I don't know how to set it up, and am afraid I could screw everything up and then we have no internet.

I also have older TP-Link power adaptors working off our router to power our Tivo. I don't want that messed up either.
This is a new topic and well worthy of its own thread. Rather than divert this thread, may I suggest you ask this question in a new thread.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54186 04/20/20 02:59 PM
OP Offline

OK, I put it under Peripherals.

This is a new topic and well worthy of its own thread. Rather than divert this thread, may I suggest you ask this question in a new thread.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54187 04/20/20 03:00 PM
OP Offline

Done. No dice!

So, our friend has the same ISP and has High Sierra. He has no problems with the reviews.

Well, the problem now appears to have been narrowed down to something within your four walls, so let's go for the one remaining opportunity for failure of which I'm aware: clearing cookies (which has never been mentioned, so I'm guessing that it hasn't been done).

First do a command-option-E; it will clear cache and make the list with which you've got to work next far less cumbersome.

Now go to Safari > Prefs > Privacy > Manage Website Data... and delete not just Amazon items, but every item that hasn't got the name of a website that you ordinarily visit.

Quit/relaunch Safari.

Holding my breath!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54188 04/20/20 03:21 PM

Done. No dice!

And no surprise. frown

The only thing I can think of at this point is for you to d/l Mojave or Catalina, but don't use it to upgrade your Sierra. Just install it, and without migrating any data or changing it in any way see if Amazon works in the default installation. (You can use your Mavericks partition; just erase it in Disk Utility first. You can erase it only from one of your Sierra volumes.)

It may not work, but it will eliminate a possibility if it doesn't, and if it does, we can run with it from there.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard