FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: I'm back about partitioning
artie505 #54191 04/20/20 05:01 PM
OP Offline

So you don't think it could be an old router problem?

So, if I download Mojave or Catalina in my erased Mavericks partition, it will leave Sierra alone and not upgrade it? That's how it works?

What do you mean I can erase it from one of my Sierra volumes? Wouldn't a Sierra volume just have Sierra on it? Do you mean erase it from my internal hard drive and not my external drive? Mavericks is only on my external drive. confused

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: plantsower
Done. No dice!

And no surprise. frown

The only thing I can think of at this point is for you to d/l Mojave or Catalina, but don't use it to upgrade your Sierra. Just install it, and without migrating any data or changing it in any way see if Amazon works in the default installation. (You can use your Mavericks partition; just erase it in Disk Utility first. You can erase it only from one of your Sierra volumes.)

It may not work, but it will eliminate a possibility if it doesn't, and if it does, we can run with it from there.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54193 04/20/20 05:28 PM

So, if I download Mojave or Catalina in my erased Mavericks partition, it will leave Sierra alone and not upgrade it? That's how it works?

What do you mean I can erase it from one of my Sierra volumes? Wouldn't a Sierra volume just have Sierra on it? Do you mean erase it from my internal hard drive and not my external drive? Mavericks is only on my external drive. confused

I've got no expertise, not even a little bit of amateurise, in routers, but as I see it, the problem is too narrowly defined to be a router issue. Ira just responded negatively in your other post, and joemike, whom I'd call our local expert in this sort of stuff, hasn't contributed, so your router is probably not at issue.

The Mojave and Catalina installers can be run in two ways: they can either upGRADE your Sierra volume or they can do a CLEAN INSTALLATION. You want to do the latter.
  • Connect your external drive.
  • Boot into either Sierra volume.
  • Navigate to /System/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app.
  • Select the Mavericks partition in DU's sidebar.
  • Hit "Erase," follow the prompts, and name the newly erased volume either Mojave or Catalina.
  • Quit Disk Utility.
  • Download whichever of the OSs you decide to install. (The d/l'ed installer will go to /Applications.)
  • Launch the installer and follow the prompts to the pane that tells you the default installation destination and offers you an option to change destinations.
  • Select the volume you just erased and renamed. (You do NOT want to install on either Sierra volume!)
  • Hit the "Start" button, and when the process is complete you'll have a pristine, vanilla, untouched by human hands installation.
  • Try Amazon.
  • Report success. tongue
I think that answers all of your questions.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54194 04/20/20 05:55 PM
OP Offline

Artie: You answered all but two questions: Again, what do you mean by Sierra Volume? I've got two partitions with different Sierras and one with Mavericks on my extended HD. They are all volumes, right??? I understand that I am to erase Mavericks and install M or C onto it and rename it, and not install M or C onto one of my Sierra partitions. So, when you say "boot into the Sierra Volume" do mean just connect my extended HD and go to Mavericks partition? Sorry, but I'm having problems with the wording as I know I am not to disturb either one of my Sierras since I want a clean install. Actually, I don't need Sierra 2012 for sure.

Also, if I do a clean install on my external drive and I like it, I should do likewise on my internal drive into a partition named M or C, correct? Unless I want to integrate all my stuff that is in Sierra. Can't you just come here and do it for me? smirk If you are getting frustrated with my unending questions,, sic someone else on me. smile This is a little (or a lot) beyond my pay grade. I do have the instructions JoeMike sent me on how to install Catalina onto my internal HD. OK, I wore myself out!

1: When you say Sierra Volume

I've got no expertise, not even a little bit of amateurise, in routers, but as I see it, the problem is too narrowly defined to be a router issue. Ira just responded negatively in your other post, and joemike, whom I'd call our local expert in this sort of stuff, hasn't contributed, so your router is probably not at issue.

The Mojave and Catalina installers can be run in two ways: they can either upGRADE your Sierra volume or they can do a CLEAN INSTALLATION. You want to do the latter.
  • Connect your external drive.
  • Boot into either Sierra volume.
  • Navigate to /System/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app.
  • Select the Mavericks partition in DU's sidebar.
  • Hit "Erase," follow the prompts, and name the newly erased volume either Mojave or Catalina.
  • Quit Disk Utility.
  • Download whichever of the OSs you decide to install. (The d/l'ed installer will go to /Applications.)
  • Launch the installer and follow the prompts to the pane that tells you the default installation destination and offers you an option to change destinations.
  • Select the volume you just erased and renamed. (You do NOT want to install on either Sierra volume!)
  • Hit the "Start" button, and when the process is complete you'll have a pristine, vanilla, untouched by human hands installation.
  • Try Amazon.
  • Report success. tongue
I think that answers all of your questions.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54195 04/20/20 06:14 PM

Artie: You answered all but two questions: Again, what do you mean by Sierra Volume? I've got two partitions with different Sierras and one with Mavericks on my extended HD. They are all volumes, right??? I understand that I am to erase Mavericks and install M or C onto it and rename it, and not install M or C onto one of my Sierra partitions. So, when you say "boot into the Sierra Volume" do mean just connect my extended HD and go to Mavericks partition? Sorry, but I'm having problems with the wording as I know I am not to disturb either one of my Sierras since I want a clean install. Actually, I don't need Sierra 2012 for sure.

Also, if I do a clean install on my external drive and I like it, I should do likewise on my internal drive into a partition named M or C, correct? Unless I want to integrate all my stuff that is in Sierra. Can't you just come here and do it for me? smirk If you are getting frustrated with my unending questions,, sic someone else on me. smile This is a little (or a lot) beyond my pay grade. I do have the instructions JoeMike sent me on how to install Catalina onto my internal HD. OK, I wore myself out!

First, volume and partition are the same for these purposes.

You can't do a clean installation on the Mavericks partition (volume) as it stands; you've got to erase it first, and you can only do that while you're booted into one of your Sierra partitions - It doesn't matter which one. - while your external is connected.

If this works and you can navigate Amazon successfully from your pristine M/C installation, then we'll discuss what to do next.

Goodness, Rita! You've got it backwards. Thank you for coming up with a time-consuming problem when I've got altogether too much time on my hands. smile

Goin' back to sleep now. shocked

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54196 04/20/20 07:16 PM
OP Offline

Glad to help with all that time on your hands!!! LOL! I still don't get the part about booting into Sierra when I have a Mavericks partition, but I will try to follow instructions....only don't hold your breath with this one, it may take me some time.

You can't do a clean installation on the Mavericks partition (volume) as it stands; you've got to erase it first, and you can only do that while you're booted into one of your Sierra partitions - It doesn't matter which one. - while your external is connected.

If this works and you can navigate Amazon successfully from your pristine M/C installation, then we'll discuss what to do next.

Goodness, Rita! You've got it backwards. Thank you for coming up with a time-consuming problem when I've got altogether too much time on my hands. smile

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54199 04/20/20 09:23 PM

I don't want to interfere with Artie's guiding your through the Catalina trial, after all I have been encouraging you to install it all along 🙄, but another possible source of interference has occurred to me.

In System Preferences > Network select WiFi in the sidebar then click the Advanced tab near the bottom right of the window. In that window click on the tab labeled DNS at the top of the window. Then in the DNS Servers pane there should be at least one string of numbers like nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn (they may be greyed out)

What are those numbers?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #54200 04/20/20 09:30 PM
OP Offline

OMG! I just got it. Why did it take so long? I can't boot from Mavericks because if I did, I wouldn't be able to erase it! Yikes. I need to rest my brain. Or maybe it needs to wake up! Cripes! I know you are probably slapping your forehead but so am I!

Glad to help with all that time on your hands!!! LOL! I still don't get the part about booting into Sierra when I have a Mavericks partition, but I will try to follow instructions....only don't hold your breath with this one, it may take me some time.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54201 04/20/20 09:44 PM
OP Offline

The DNS numbers are not grayed out. They are 192.168.2.1. That's weird. Why would my IP address show up under my DNS tab? I do have a DNS program that is supposed to protect my smart TV like a VPN does. I've had it quite awhile and it never caused this.

Update:

I neglected to say that I have the same DNS program on my computer, so that may make more sense. I added the 8.8.8.8 dns number but no difference.

I just checked some other sites' reviews and I am having some of the same problems. Before that wasn't so. confused

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I don't want to interfere with Artie's guiding your through the Catalina trial, after all I have been encouraging you to install it all along 🙄, but another possible source of interference has occurred to me.

In System Preferences > Network select WiFi in the sidebar then click the Advanced tab near the bottom right of the window. In that window click on the tab labeled DNS at the top of the window. Then in the DNS Servers pane there should be at least one string of numbers like nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn (they may be greyed out)

What are those numbers?

Last edited by plantsower; 04/21/20 12:48 AM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54202 04/20/20 09:58 PM

OMG! I just got it. Why did it take so long? I can't boot from Mavericks because if I did, I wouldn't be able to erase it!

By George, she's got it! grin

artie505 #54203 04/20/20 10:17 PM
OP Offline

Well, guess what? I connected my ext. HD and went into Sierra 2012. It was as if it was Sierra 2015. Same OS stats, etc. So I went out and booted into Mavericks just to see if About my Mac would mention Mavericks. Before I got a chance to do that, after I booted into Mavericks, and all I got was a blank page with a circle with a line through it. The only way out was to reboot! I guess maybe I will go into Sierra and see if I can erase Sierra 2012 and go from there. I'm to brain tired to do it now. Wish me luck.

OMG! I just got it. Why did it take so long? I can't boot from Mavericks because if I did, I wouldn't be able to erase it!

By George, she's got it! grin

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54205 04/20/20 10:38 PM

Well, guess what? I connected my ext. HD and went into Sierra 2012. It was as if it was Sierra 2015. Same OS stats, etc. So I went out and booted into Mavericks just to see if About my Mac would mention Mavericks. Before I got a chance to do that, after I booted into Mavericks, and all I got was a blank page with a circle with a line through it. The only way out was to reboot! I guess maybe I will go into Sierra and see if I can erase Sierra 2012 and go from there. I'm to brain tired to do it now. Wish me luck.

That circle with a line through it was a prohibited sign. confused (Can you still boot into the Sierra partition on your external?)

I don't know what's going on with your external, so I'd erase it totally and reformat it HFS+ with two partitions, one for a new clone of your latest Sierra and the second to install Mojave/Catalina, but before either cloning or installing I"d go into Disk Utility and run Repair Disk on the drive just to make sure that it hasn't got any evident problems.

Got my fingers crossed for you.

artie505 #54207 04/21/20 12:10 AM
OP Offline

Thx for the finger crossing! Yeah, like I said. I went into Sierra 2012 but it looked just like Sierra 2015. I will attempt erasing everything. I'll let you know how it goes.

That circle with a line through it was a prohibited sign. confused (Can you still boot into the Sierra partition on your external?)

I don't know what's going on with your external, so I'd erase it totally and reformat it HFS+ with two partitions, one for a new clone of your latest Sierra and the second to install Mojave/Catalina, but before either cloning or installing I"d go into Disk Utility and run Repair disk on the drive just to make sure that it hasn't got any evident problems.

Got my fingers crossed for you.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54208 04/21/20 12:12 AM

The DNS numbers are not grayed out. They are 192.168.2.1. That's weird. Why would my IP address show up under my DNS tab?

I found my IP address there once and never figured out how it got there, but a bit of research taught that it's neither extraordinary nor bad.

I replaced it with both Open DNS and Google numbers, but I"ll let joemike go there.

plantsower #54209 04/21/20 12:17 AM

I went into Sierra 2012 but it looked just like Sierra 2015.

I think you ought to do a bit of research and find out where iCloud settings are in Sierra 2015 and make sure it's not turned on before you start installing and cloning.

Getting back to dkmarsh's thought, your external is behaving as if it is.

More: How often do you update your Sierra clone under ordinary circumstances?

Last edited by artie505; 04/21/20 12:22 AM. Reason: More

plantsower #54210 04/21/20 02:49 AM

I added the 8.8.8.8 dns number but no difference.

8.8.8.8 is Google's DNS number, but only half of it. On a second line you need to enter 8.8.4.4.

Like so:

Last edited by artie505; 04/21/20 03:01 AM.

plantsower #54211 04/21/20 02:53 AM

I will attempt erasing everything. I'll let you know how it goes.

After you've erased and run Repair Disk, let me know what RD returned.

That prohibited sign makes me uneasy, and I may suggest a second test before you install or clone.

artie505 #54212 04/21/20 03:20 AM
OP Offline

OK, I'll check my iCloud settings. I don't want to use it, so I'll check.

Honestly, I rarely backup my Sierra. I was really into it at one point,but now I hardly ever think to.

I went into Sierra 2012 but it looked just like Sierra 2015.

I think you ought to do a bit of research and find out where iCloud settings are in Sierra 2015 and make sure it's not turned on before you start installing and cloning.

Getting back to dkmarsh's thought, your external is behaving as if it is.

More: How often do you update your Sierra clone under ordinary circumstances?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54213 04/21/20 03:21 AM
OP Offline

OK. I thought I had a choice between the two! One was primary and one was secondary which I thought meant optional.

Update: When I went in to correct the DNS numbers the 8.8.8.8 had disappeared! Just my ip address is there. Dang! I put it in again along with 8..8.4.4.

8.8.8.8 is Google's DNS number, but only half of it. On a second line you need to enter 8.8.4.4.

Like so:

Last edited by plantsower; 04/21/20 03:23 AM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54214 04/21/20 03:26 AM
OP Offline

I ran the First Aid from Utility Disk on my Mac. It was fine. I guess you meant on the ext. H.D. as well?[

quote=artie505]

That prohibited sign makes me uneasy, and I may suggest a second test before you install or clone. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54215 04/21/20 04:20 AM
OP Offline

I didn't erase anything yet, but I went into the ext. HD and ran disk utility, I took screen shots. The weird thing is that when I ran it on Mavericks it said it was repairing it and at the end it said it was fine. I clicked on Mavericks after that and still got the blank screen with the circle and line. In Sierra 2015 it said it was corrupted, but it never said it was repairing it but that it needed repair. Gee thanks. And on the Sierra 2012 it said it was repairing it and it was fine. Who knows?

Screen Shot
Screen Shot
ScreenShot

That prohibited sign makes me uneasy, and I may suggest a second test before you install or clone.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54216 04/21/20 09:20 AM

Honestly, I rarely backup my Sierra. I was really into it at one point,but now I hardly ever think to.

Not to get preachy, but if you're not running Time Machine, which I think is the case, maintaining at least a reasonably current clone as backup in the event something goes wrong is in your best interests. (You bought the hardware; you may as well use it for the purpose for which you bought it. wink )

plantsower #54217 04/21/20 09:24 AM

Update: When I went in to correct the DNS numbers the 8.8.8.8 had disappeared! Just my ip address is there. Dang! I put it in again along with 8..8.4.4.

I wouldn't be surprised if the number reverts again.

I think it's your ISP that's doing it...wants you to use them as your DNS resolver. (My ISP probably did the same thing but didn't balk when I changed the numbers.)

plantsower #54218 04/21/20 09:43 AM

I didn't erase anything yet, but I went into the ext. HD and ran disk utility, I took screen shots. The weird thing is that when I ran it on Mavericks it said it was repairing it and at the end it said it was fine. I clicked on Mavericks after that and still got the blank screen with the circle and line. In Sierra 2015 it said it was corrupted, but it never said it was repairing it but that it needed repair. Gee thanks. And on the Sierra 2012 it said it was repairing it and it was fine. Who knows?

I should have specified that in addition to running RD on each partition you need to run it on the drives themselves, i.e. the top line items in DU's sidebar that identify the drives' manufacturers.

To repair Sierra 2015 and anything else that may turn up needing repair, boot into Recovery - command-R - and search for DU. (I think it'll be under "Utilities" in your menu bar.)

I'll wait for the results from both drives before going any further.

Not that I"m terribly at all optimistic, but don't forget to try Amazon after you repair Sierra 2015.

Have you got TechTool Pro, Drive Genius, or anything of that ilk?

artie505 #54220 04/21/20 02:18 PM

It was a longshot but easy enough to try out. 🤷‍♂️

Like so:
That is a preferred practice, but the first IP address is sufficient and the IP addresses can be in either order. The second IP address is Google's alternate server DNS as a fallback in case the first server fails to respond. I have only used a single DNS server address for years because I have a customized DNS server set to my own preferences. It is even possible to mix and match DNS providers. For example:

You can also list more than two DNS servers and they will be tried in order. This can be useful in international travel.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54221 04/21/20 02:21 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

I've got both of Open DNS's numbers followed by both of Google's numbers in my DNS pane.

Talk about redundancy!

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard