Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: I'm back about partitioning
artie505 #54321 04/24/20 10:02 PM
OP Offline

OK. Simple enough.

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: plantsower
It's running now I guess. What will the prompt say, and what do I do with it when it shows, or will it tell me what to do since it's a prompt? wink

The prompt is "MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$."

When you see it, it means that your command has finished running and Terminal is "prompting" you to enter your next command, but you haven't got a next command, so just copy your entire Terminal screen and paste it into a post.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54322 04/24/20 10:03 PM
OP Offline

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
The prompt is
Quote:
MacBook-Pro:~ (your name)$

It indicates the previous command has finished executing and the system is waiting for another command.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54323 04/24/20 10:06 PM

Any results from the previous command will be listed above the prompt and those results are what Artie is looking for.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54324 04/24/20 10:08 PM
OP Offline

OK.

Any results from the previous command will be listed above the prompt and those results are what Artie is looking for.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54325 04/24/20 10:17 PM
OP Offline

Will it continue to run if my computer falls asleep? If not, how do I keep it awake?

It's running now I guess. What will the prompt say, and what do I do with it when it shows, or will it tell me what to do since it's a prompt? wink

When you see it, it means that your command has finished running and Terminal is "prompting" you to enter your next command, but you haven't got a next command, so just copy your entire Terminal screen and paste it into a post.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54326 04/24/20 10:28 PM

Will it continue to run if my computer falls asleep? If not, how do I keep it awake?

I don't now what will happen if your computer falls asleep, and I"m not eager to find out the hard way.

Go into System Prefs > Energy Saver and look in the "Power Adapter" pane. I've got a check box that says "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off." If you've got the same box, check it. If not, you'll have some similar setting that will keep your MBP awake.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54328 04/24/20 11:58 PM
OP Offline

Thanks. It was already checked! Whew!

I don't now what will happen if your computer falls asleep, and I"m not eager to find out the hard way.

Go into System Prefs > Energy Saver and look in the "Power Adapter" pane. I've got a check box that says "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off." If you've got the same box, check it. If not, you'll have some similar setting that will keep your MBP awake.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54329 04/25/20 03:13 AM

An hour or two, I said? shocked

Wildly off was a lot more like it! crazy

I've never dealt with a terabyte before. And I actually juiced the command to get it to run faster. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54330 04/25/20 03:57 AM
OP Offline

I've heard up to 1-1/2 days, so I'm not worried....yet. It does seem to be slowing down my Mac though.

An hour or two, I said? shocked

Wildly off was a lot more like it! crazy

I've never dealt with a terabyte before. And I actually juiced the command to get it to run faster. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54331 04/25/20 04:01 AM

Yeah, it will slow your MBP down, because it's an extra running process that's using system resources.

If you want to get an idea, search Activity Monitor for "dd," and you'll see precisely what CPU % it's using.

I remember the task once zipping by like lightning, but I guess I really juiced it that time.

artie505 #54334 04/25/20 04:50 PM
OP Offline

Is this it, the prompt? I thought there would be more info like if everything is good or not.

Last login: Fri Apr 24 11:22:29 on ttys000
MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$ sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk1 of=/dev/null conv=noerror bs=5120
Password:
195345817+1 records in
195345817+1 records out
1000170586112 bytes transferred in 34736.077742 secs (28793423 bytes/sec)
MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54335 04/25/20 05:09 PM

Is this it, the prompt? I thought there would be more info like if everything is good or not.

MacBook-Pro:~ (my name)$ sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk1 of=/dev/null conv=noerror bs=5120
Password:
195345817+1 records in
195345817+1 records out

That's it, Rita.

The number of records in and out being equal means that the are no bad blocks on the drive.

OK, that having been established, nobody having contributed even a wild conjecture about why Mavericks boots to a prohibited sign, and Macintosh HD having been repaired, you're ready to move on to the the upgrade if that's where you're going.

The first thing I think you ought to do, and that's under any circumstances, is completely erase your external, reformat it with a well thought out partition scheme, and then clone Macintosh HD onto it.

artie505 #54336 04/25/20 05:57 PM
OP Offline

Thank you! Though that's easier said than done. I'm not sure how to do all that. Do I boot up the ext HD with the option key and go from there to erase it?

I don't know how to reformat anything. When I first got the HD it was for a PC but I found out how to reformat it for a Mac. That was a long time ago and I don't remember a thing.

I should still probably get a new router because of how Amazon works with Starbucks wi-fi and TOR works as opposed to Safari and Firefox on Amazon.

So much to do! I do work 4 days a week, so I am not just sitting home like a lot of people right now. smile

Password:
195345817+1 records in
195345817+1 records out

That's it, Rita.

The number of records in and out being equal means that the are no bad blocks on the drive.

OK, that having been established, nobody having contributed even a wild conjecture about why Mavericks boots to a prohibited sign, and Macintosh HD having been repaired, you're ready to move on to the the upgrade if that's where you're going.

The first thing I think you ought to do, and that's under any circumstances, is completely erase your external, reformat it with a well thought out partition scheme, and then clone Macintosh HD onto it.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54337 04/25/20 10:39 PM

Thank you! Though that's easier said than done. I'm not sure how to do all that. Do I boot up the ext HD with the option key and go from there to erase it?

Erasing your external driver is easy
  1. Boot from your internal drive (you cannot erase the drive your are booted from)
  2. Launch Disk Utility
  3. Select your external drive in the Disk Utility sidebar (the drive itself not a partition on the disk)
  4. On the menu bar select Erase
  5. Enter an name for the drive
  6. Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
  7. Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  8. Click the button labeled Erase
That will yield a clean drive with one partition. If you want to partition the drive then
  1. Boot from your internal drive
  2. Launch Disk Utility
  3. Select your external drive in the Disk Utility sidebar (the drive itself not a partition on the disk)
  4. On the menu bar select Partition
  5. Enter a name for the first partition
  7. Size of the partition.
  8. Click the plus sign under the picture of the drive
  9. Enter the name, format and size of the second partition
  10. repeat steps 8 and 9 until you have defined all the desired partitions
  11. Click the button labeled Apply

I wish you were upgrading your system to Catalina so you could format the external drive APFS and use Volumes instead of partitions, they are so much more flexible and you don't have to worry about how big to make them.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54338 04/25/20 10:56 PM

I wish you were upgrading your system to Catalina so you could format the external drive APFS and use Volumes instead of partitions, they are so much more flexible and you don't have to worry about how big to make them.

And you can add and delete them at will.

APFS was first introduced with High Sierra, to which Rita's contemplating upgrading, and as I recall, you reported during the beta period that you can switch from HFS+ to APFS seamlessly by just clicking on "Convert to APFS" in Disk Utility.

Under APFS, though, if you want to maintain an onboard clone it must be in a separate container/partition unless you run with SIP disabled (and even then, only CCC can do it).

joemikeb #54341 04/26/20 02:58 AM
OP Offline

OK. I may try that tomorrow. I'm still contemplating upgrading to Catalina, but may do High Sierra first. I'm a big chicken, and I don't have anyone at my beck and call should I get stuck in the new way of things in Catalina. I know I can ask you guys, but I hate asking a million questions, which is what I do when I'm trying to learn anything. smile

Erasing your external driver is easy
  1. Boot from your internal drive (you cannot erase the drive your are booted from)
  2. Launch Disk Utility
  4. On the menu bar select Erase
  5. Enter an name for the drive
  7. Scheme: GUID Partition Map
  8. Click the button labeled Erase
That will yield a clean drive with one partition. If you want to partition the drive then
  1. Boot from your internal drive
  2. Launch Disk Utility
  4. On the menu bar select Partition
  5. Enter a name for the first partition
  7. Size of the partition.
  8. Click the plus sign under the picture of the drive
  9. Enter the name, format and size of the second partition
  10. repeat steps 8 and 9 until you have defined all the desired partitions
  11. Click the button labeled Apply

I wish you were upgrading your system to Catalina so you could format the external drive APFS and use Volumes instead of partitions, they are so much more flexible and you don't have to worry about how big to make them. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54342 04/26/20 03:00 AM
OP Offline

OK, I didn't understand a word of that, but then you were mostly talking to JoeMike.

And you can add and delete them at will.

APFS was first introduced with High Sierra, to which Rita's contemplating upgrading, and as I recall, you reported during the beta period that you can switch from HFS+ to APFS seamlessly by just clicking on "Convert to APFS" in Disk Utility.

Under APFS, though, if you want to maintain an onboard clone it must be in a separate container/partition unless you run with SIP disabled (and even then, only CCC can do it).

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54343 04/26/20 03:05 AM

OK, I didn't understand a word of that, but then you were mostly talking to JoeMike.

It'll haunt you eventually. tongue

plantsower #54344 04/26/20 01:08 PM

OK. I may try that tomorrow. I'm still contemplating upgrading to Catalina, but may do High Sierra first. I'm a big chicken, and I don't have anyone at my beck and call should I get stuck in the new way of things in Catalina. I know I can ask you guys, but I hate asking a million questions, which is what I do when I'm trying to learn anything. smile

Ask away. We are sheltered in place and I have thrown my back out so I can't stand at my lathe which leaves me with little do do. Besides that, as a former lecturer at the University level and technical instructor for Texas Instruments and Microsoft I am used to questions, they keep my mind sharp. I will let Artie speak for himself, but I get the feeling he has enjoyed this dialog and being able to help you as well.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54345 04/26/20 01:51 PM

Artie and I have been touting the benefits of APFS and throwing around a lot of terms you may not understand. I wrote the following for a friend who's computer skills are similar to yours and thought it might help you understand what we are talking about.

Drives, Partitions, & Volumes
 for the Non-Technical

The term “Volume” has been around for a long time but is largely unknown to the non-technical users and a large percentage of “power users”. The advent of Apple’s new APFS file system, which is required for Catalina (MacOS 10.15) has brought the term into new and important prominence. This in turn has lead to some confusion about the relationship between the physical drive, partitions on the drive, volumes.

Definitions:

Drive
: The physical device used for data storage

Hard Drive (a.k.a. HD, Rotating Rust, Floppy): A drive that uses magnetic (iron oxide) on a rotating disk to store the data. There are lots of moving parts which slows data access significantly.

Solid State Drive (a.k.a. SSD, Thumb Drive, SD Card: a drive that stores data electronically and unlike an HD has no moving parts.

Partition: An allocation of the physical capacity of a drive. Partitions can be added to a drive non-destrucivey (without deleting or damaging data already on the drive) and in some cases partitions can be removed destroying only the data in the removed partition, but that is not always the case. (The Rule Of Thumb is “Never repartition a drive unless you have a known good backup of all the data on the drive you do not want to lose.”)

Volume: A logical structure all the data is stored

Every drive has at least one partition and every partition has at least one volume.

APFS The Game Changer:

In Apple’s old file system, MacOS Extended (HFS+), a partition could have only one volume and that volume had the same capacity as the partition it was on. Not so with APFS. In APFS…
  • A new logical structure is added called a Container which can contain multiple Volumes such that Every drive has at least one partition and every partition has at least one Container and every Container has at least one volume.
  • Each volume can potentially occupy the full capacity of the partition
  • Volumes can grow or shrink depending on the need or can have a fixed maximum capacity if desired
  • Volumes can be created or deleted non-destructively

APFS is optimized for use on Solid State Drives, but it works on HDs with a slight performance penalty. In use…
  • APFS volumes are far easier to create and delete than partitions.
  • APFS volumes are far more flexible than partitions.
  • APFS is now Apple’s recommended solution.
  • There are currently unexploited features of APFS such as “Snapshots” with the
    potential to render backups obsolete.
  • Experience with APFS is proving it to be very stable and reliable.
  • The only reason for using HFS+ is Time Machine (Hard links that are used
    throughout Time Machine are not supported in APFS)
Can you tell I like APFS and Catalina?

I just found this well done OWC Blog on how to create APFS partitions and Containers

Last edited by joemikeb; 04/26/20 04:53 PM. Reason: Add OWC Blog link

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54346 04/26/20 06:24 PM
OP Offline

Thanks. Artie has always been helpful to me. He gets that I don't always get the technicalities and dumbs it down for me. And thanks for making me feel ok about asking tons of questions.

Ask away. We are sheltered in place and I have thrown my back out so I can't stand at my lathe which leaves me with little do do. Besides that, as a former lecturer at the University level and technical instructor for Texas Instruments and Microsoft I am used to questions, they keep my mind sharp. I will let Artie speak for himself, but I get the feeling he has enjoyed this dialog and being able to help you as well. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54347 04/26/20 06:36 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for explaining, and reading that blog helped clarify things. It's a lot to take in and I don't know that I understand it all, but this is my take: In the APFS, partitions and containers are synonymous. I can make many volumes within one container. It is safer to change and remove volumes than it is to mess with partitions (containers). So, would it then be safe to say that since I don't have a lot of technical needs, it would be easier to just make different volumes for all my OS's rather than partitions?

Also, the blog said it's better not to put limits on volumes. So when I d/l another OS but want to keep the former one, how do I keep them in different volumes without one devouring the other (i.e.: I have Mojave and want to upgrade to Catalina and keep Mojave at the same time and separate.) The blog might have mentioned this but I can't keep it all straight for now. Oh, I just create a volume and download Catalina to that one different volume, right?

If I have my new OS in a different volume than my old OS, how do I integrate the apps and other things I want to have access to to my new OS if I keep them in separate volumes? I don't want to have to access my old OS to do this.

Artie and I have been touting the benefits of APFS and throwing around a lot of terms you may not understand. I wrote the following for a friend who's computer skills are similar to yours and thought it might help you understand what we are talking about.

Drives, Partitions, & Volumes
 for the Non-Technical

The term “Volume” has been around for a long time but is largely unknown to the non-technical users and a large percentage of “power users”. The advent of Apple’s new APFS file system, which is required for Catalina (MacOS 10.15) has brought the term into new and important prominence. This in turn has lead to some confusion about the relationship between the physical drive, partitions on the drive, volumes.

Definitions:

Drive
: The physical device used for data storage

Hard Drive (a.k.a. HD, Rotating Rust, Floppy): A drive that uses magnetic (iron oxide) on a rotating disk to store the data. There are lots of moving parts which slows data access significantly.

Solid State Drive (a.k.a. SSD, Thumb Drive, SD Card: a drive that stores data electronically and unlike an HD has no moving parts.

Partition: An allocation of the physical capacity of a drive. Partitions can be added to a drive non-destrucivey (without deleting or damaging data already on the drive) and in some cases partitions can be removed destroying only the data in the removed partition, but that is not always the case. (The Rule Of Thumb is “Never repartition a drive unless you have a known good backup of all the data on the drive you do not want to lose.”)

Volume: A logical structure all the data is stored

Every drive has at least one partition and every partition has at least one volume.

APFS The Game Changer:

In Apple’s old file system, MacOS Extended (HFS+), a partition could have only one volume and that volume had the same capacity as the partition it was on. Not so with APFS. In APFS…
  • A new logical structure is added called a Container which can contain multiple Volumes such that Every drive has at least one partition and every partition has at least one Container and every Container has at least one volume.
  • Each volume can potentially occupy the full capacity of the partition
  • Volumes can grow or shrink depending on the need or can have a fixed maximum capacity if desired
  • Volumes can be created or deleted non-destructively

APFS is optimized for use on Solid State Drives, but it works on HDs with a slight performance penalty. In use…
  • APFS volumes are far easier to create and delete than partitions.
  • APFS volumes are far more flexible than partitions.
  • APFS is now Apple’s recommended solution.
  • There are currently unexploited features of APFS such as “Snapshots” with the
    potential to render backups obsolete.
  • Experience with APFS is proving it to be very stable and reliable.
  • The only reason for using HFS+ is Time Machine (Hard links that are used
    throughout Time Machine are not supported in APFS)
Can you tell I like APFS and Catalina?

I just found this well done OWC Blog on how to create APFS partitions and Containers

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54348 04/26/20 06:41 PM
OP Offline

If I clean house and get rid of all of my old MacOS versions in my internal drive (SSD), how do I keep all the apps and utilities I have added to my old OS when downloading the new one?

After all this is settled, you need to strongly consider a round of MAJOR housecleaning getting rid of old MacOS versions and repartitioning and reformatting both of your drives. Your drives are becoming so fractured the partitions may become unusably small and unlike APFS volumes removing a partition may not be possible or it may destroy data in other partitions. You really need to simplify.

Your idea of moving partitions with antique MacOS versions to thumb drives may be the best solution to your current situation after all! (Then you can throw them into a desk drawer and forget them.😉)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54349 04/26/20 09:13 PM

Also, the blog said it's better not to put limits on volumes. So when I d/l another OS but want to keep the former one, how do I keep them in different volumes without one devouring the other (i.e.: I have Mojave and want to upgrade to Catalina and keep Mojave at the same time and separate.) The blog might have mentioned this but I can't keep it all straight for now.

Any volume may grow to occupy all the available space on the Container, but it cannot eat or use space that is already in use by another volume so if you have Catalina and Mojave installed on different volumes one cannot overwrite the other and both volumes would be full.

Oh, I just create a volume and download Catalina to that one different volume, right?

Catalina will create a Container in its volume and that Container will have not one but three volumes,
  1. an APFS Volume Group "Macintosh HD" consisting of
    1. "Macintosh HD" a READ ONLY volume that contains the MacOS system and the MacOS standard apps such as Mail, Safari, Disk Utility, etc.
    2. "Macintosh HD - Data" a read/write volume that contains all of your user files and data as well as third party applications
  2. "Preboot" a small invisible volume used by the system when initiating startup
  3. "Recovery" the invisible Recovery drive

If I clean house and get rid of all of my old MacOS versions in my internal drive (SSD), how do I keep all the apps and utilities I have added to my old OS when downloading the new one?

Artie can speak for himself, but I don't believe either of us contemplated your "cleaning" your MacBook Pro's internal SSD.

Our, or at least my suggestion about "cleaning house" on your external drive asumed there was no unique data or applications on that drive or that anything on that drive is so antique as to present a potential danger to your current data. Therefore you would not lose anything of value by erasing that drive and starting over from scratch. If that is not the case then you have a long tedious task ahead sorting and moving all the critical data you want to conserve. That might be a good use for high capacity thumb drives or, even better, an SD card if you have a reader.

If you install Mojave on your internal drive converting that drive to APFS is optional but highly recommended, if you choose Catalina converting the drive to APFS is mandatory. In either case the conversion is non-destructive and all of your compatible applications, settings, and data will be left untouched. Any applications that are incompatible will be moved to a special folder and an alias to that folder will be placed on your desktop so you will know what has happened to them. (I had a few files show up when I installed Catalina and frankly I didn't know what any of them were nor have I detected anything not working 🤷‍♂️) High Sierra, MacOS 10.13. can read data on an APFS drive but I don't believe it will install or run on APFS. Previous versions of MacOS cannot read or write to APFS volumes.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54351 04/27/20 03:08 AM
OP Offline

You said earlier: After all this is settled, you need to strongly consider a round of MAJOR housecleaning getting rid of old MacOS versions and repartitioning and reformatting both of your drives. Your drives are becoming so fractured the partitions may become unusably small and unlike APFS volumes removing a partition may not be possible or it may destroy data in other partitions. You really need to simplify.

When I read both your drives, I assumed you meant my Ext. HD and my SSD.

Also, if APFS started with High Sierra, I guess I can start with that and let it absorb my apps, etc. from Sierra when I update. I guess I will take away my two partitions that I made for Mojave and Catalina on my SSD for now. I will leave Sierra on my SSD and just update it with High Sierra and go from there. I wish I could make the leap you want me to, but I so dread the learning curve. I will have to just take one step at a time. If I continue to have problems with Amazon reviews (which is entirely possible) I will then order a new router.

Thanks again for all your input. I am taking some of your advice anyway. smile

Our, or at least my suggestion about "cleaning house" on your external drive asumed there was no unique data or applications on that drive or that anything on that drive is so antique as to present a potential danger to your current data. Therefore you would not lose anything of value by erasing that drive and starting over from scratch. If that is not the case then you have a long tedious task ahead sorting and moving all the critical data you want to conserve. That might be a good use for high capacity thumb drives or, even better, an SD card if you have a reader.

If you install Mojave on your internal drive converting that drive to APFS is optional but highly recommended, if you choose Catalina converting the drive to APFS is mandatory. In either case the conversion is non-destructive and all of your compatible applications, settings, and data will be left untouched. Any applications that are incompatible will be moved to a special folder and an alias to that folder will be placed on your desktop so you will know what has happened to them. (I had a few files show up when I installed Catalina and frankly I didn't know what any of them were nor have I detected anything not working 🤷‍♂️) High Sierra, MacOS 10.13. can read data on an APFS drive but I don't believe it will install or run on APFS. Previous versions of MacOS cannot read or write to APFS volumes. [/quote]

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard