An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21
Re: The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ...
grelber #53926 04/11/20 06:09 PM

A friend sent the following....sound about right to me.

If Trump were Captain of the Titanic:

- There isn't any iceberg

- It’s a fake iceberg

- There was an iceberg but it's in a totally different ocean

- People say it's the biggest iceberg

- The iceberg is in this ocean but it will melt very soon

- There is an iceberg but we didn't hit the iceberg

- We hit the iceberg, but the damage will be repaired very shortly

- I knew from the beginning there was an iceberg, long before people called it an iceberg

- The iceberg is a Chinese iceberg

- We are taking on water but every passenger who wants a lifeboat can get a lifeboat, and they are beautiful lifeboats

- Look, passengers need to ask nicely for the lifeboats if they want them

- We don't have any lifeboats, we're not lifeboat distributors

- Passengers should have planned for icebergs and brought their own lifeboats

- I really don't think we need that many lifeboats

- We have lifeboats and they're supposed to be our lifeboats, not the passengers' lifeboats

- The lifeboats were left on shore by the last captain of this ship

- Nobody could have foreseen the iceberg

- I'm an expert on icebergs I've got lots of friends who deal with icebergs, some of the best, really good ice people who know ice

- Summer will come and the iceberg will disappear, it will go away, like magic

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #53937 04/12/20 07:12 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

He Could Have Seen What Was Coming: Behind Trump’s Failure on the Virus

An examination reveals the president was warned about the potential for a pandemic but that internal divisions, lack of planning and his faith in his own instincts led to a halting response.

grelber #53938 04/12/20 09:08 AM

You must have a masochistic streak in you that keeps you reading this endless flow of endlessly depressing material.

And a sadistic one that keeps you linking the rest of us to it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #53945 04/12/20 05:19 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
You must have a masochistic streak in you that keeps you reading this endless flow of endlessly depressing material. And a sadistic one that keeps you linking the rest of us to it.

Your signature — Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. (Voltaire) — is precisely why I wish to unveil the atrocities.
One can simply ignore the references should one feel amply informed.

grelber #53946 04/12/20 06:02 PM

....or perhaps, you could ease up on the throttle a bit to see if anyone else wants to contribute. If you were to take a moment to review, your entries on this forum are getting to be pretty much a majority of one.....and very repetitious.

Just sayin'....

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
grelber #53953 04/13/20 08:18 AM

I'm wondering whom you think needs convincing and, if there is a below-the-radar MAGA[t] contingent around here, if you think articles in the failing, false-news New York Times are likely to sway it at this point in time?

Other than in that Kellyanne Conway burner account's posts there hasn't been a single MAGA[t] sentiment posted at FTM.

Jeez, we Americans have nightmares about Trump while we sleep and awaken to their being reality, while you guys north of the border almost seem to be getting vicarious pleasure from our angst.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
MacManiac #53954 04/13/20 09:23 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
....or perhaps, you could ease up on the throttle a bit to see if anyone else wants to contribute. If you were to take a moment to review, your entries on this forum are getting to be pretty much a majority of one.....and very repetitious.

Sure. Fine. Silly me for thinking that contributions were fair dinkum or that somehow my contributions could prevent others from doing so.
I've taken enough abuse in these forums (especially this one) anyway. Goodbye.

artie505 #53957 04/13/20 01:46 PM

Jeez, we Americans have nightmares about Trump while we sleep and awaken to their being reality, while you guys north of the border almost seem to be getting vicarious pleasure from our angst.

I think that “you guys north of the border” is casting a bit of a wide net and the suggestion that any Canadians are “getting vicarious pleasure from our angst” is far-fetched. There is a small core of Canadians who, if they lived in the U.S., would be in Trump’s base but he angers most other Canadians.

We get angry when we see him refer to his his daily briefings with pride that he’s beating The Bachelor in the ratings. Meanwhile our American neighbours are dying. Hackles rise when we see the news reports of front-line healthcare workers pleading for equipment to protect themselves as they go into battle against COVID. Meanwhile they are becoming infected and dying while Trump sits in the Oval Office with his thumb up his butt.

I doubt that anyone in the world gets pleasure from the angst this causes.

Last edited by ryck; 04/13/20 01:47 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #53961 04/13/20 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck

I think that “you guys north of the border” is casting a bit of a wide net and the suggestion that any Canadians are “getting vicarious pleasure from our angst” is far-fetched.

Clarification first: "you guys..." referred only to you and grelber who, as far as I know, are the only Canadians who've posted at FTM with regard to either Trump or COVID and the only Canadians with whose opinions I'm familiar.

And I specifically said "almost seem..." because I don't really think you do and certainly hope you really don't.

But now step across the border for a moment, ryck, and put yourself in my position. I awaken to this nightmare every day, and I've got my sources. I don't need anybody, certainly not a foreigner, to educate me about how miserable I am, or why, or to deliver the Times to my doorstep.

You've presented yourself in a more subdued manner, but grelber has been almost gleeful as in "look at this, and look at this, and look at this," and, dammit, I don't want to hear that from across any border.

If foreigners want to commiserate with us and add color to our conversation, that's appreciated, but I don't think it's their place to initiate the conversation.

artie505 #53965 04/13/20 07:11 PM

If foreigners want to commiserate with us and add color to our conversation, that's appreciated, but I don't think it's their place to initiate the conversation.

Point taken, but the United States, Canada, and Mexico share the same continent and U.S. politics, economy, and policies have an outsized impact on our neighbor's well being. So it is not unreasonable they would be VERY concerned about our nations governance and stability particularly in light of COVID-19, which like any virus, pandemic or otherwise, has zero respect for national borders and Canada in particular has the vast bulk of her population in close proximity to the U.S. What happens in D.C. has almost as much effect on Canadians and Mexicans as what happens in Ottawa and Mexico City respectively.

That said, constant repetition does not further the conversation, and to me this thread has become less and less interesting other than as a place to vent anger and frustration. And that venting is a totally non-productive substitute for getting active in our respective communities and working to assure Trump is a one term president.

As for our friends from North of the 49th and South of El Rio Bravo, they can help by encouraging their Prime Minister or President to stand their ground in the face of Trump's bluster and demand cross border cooperation and coordination of the world wide fight against our common enemy COVID-19.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53987 04/14/20 06:14 AM

You're of course right about participation by others, and not just limited to those from countries with adjoining borders, but anywhere.

I welcome all opinions and attitudes, if for no other reason than just to hear them and either agree or get a good scare or belly laugh. I had no intention of sounding either elitist or exclusionary, and I apologize to anyone who was offended by my carelessly thought out word, i.e. "initiate."

What really irritated me was grelber's incessant harping as a foreigner on a subject that, judging from the lack of participation, we Americans didn't want to entertain.

My masochistic/sadistic post was, I felt, a symbolic pulling of my finger out of the hole in the dike, and I wasn't surprised by the aftermath, although I'm a bit disappointed by the possibility that grelber is gone for good.

Personally, I think this thread has run its course, and I'd like to see it locked and to see what springs up in its place.

artie505 #53991 04/14/20 09:45 AM

I think that makes two contributors who have left this thread in a huff, so speaking both as an American and a foreigner, I'd be in favor of locking this thread.

I hope poppies spring up. :-)

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #53992 04/14/20 09:48 AM

OPIUM poppies? Yaaay! grin

artie505 #53993 04/14/20 09:58 AM

Oops! I don't think this thread got locked quickly enough! cool

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #53998 04/14/20 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: freelance
I think that makes two contributors who have left this thread in a huff, so......

If the "two" means grelber and me, I am still here. I spoke my piece about what I considered an extraordinarily unfair comment and moved on to other FTM matters. And, I have no problem with the idea of closing this thread, as Trump is now on television every day doing and saying so many egregious things that the thread has become redundant.

Last edited by ryck; 04/14/20 12:30 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #54007 04/14/20 04:04 PM

No, that would have been Deniro.....

MacManiac #54016 04/14/20 07:07 PM

Oh ya...clearly Freelance has a better memory than me. Gettin' old, gettin' dozy. Deniro....the one supporter Trump had in this thread.

Last edited by ryck; 04/14/20 07:09 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #54017 04/14/20 07:17 PM

deniro didn't really support Trump; he just objected to any suggestions of his early demise.

Judith was the only Trump supporter around here, but I don't remember if she posted in this thread or a different one.

artie505 #54026 04/14/20 09:51 PM

The only Trump supporter around here has been Judith.....

Judith? Jeez, does everybody have a better memory than me?

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #54031 04/15/20 01:10 AM

Who are you????? crazy shocked confused blush cool

MacManiac #54045 04/15/20 12:31 PM
cyn Offline
Administrator
Administrator

your entries on this forum are getting to be pretty much a majority of one

I'm not sure if you're referring to the Lounge ("this forum") or this thread, but looking back over both IMO the assertion isn't accurate.

Perhaps those irritated by or uninterested in parts of this thread can muster the self-control to not read the posts or click the links.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #54047 04/15/20 01:35 PM

Oh, NO! NOT the voice of REASON! That would be way too easy.

Reminds me of the old Henny Youngman joke:

The patient said, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Then don't do that."

cyn #54052 04/15/20 04:36 PM

Ouch, sorry Cyn....

After I made that comment, I looked back and found 64 posts - not the majority of one that I'd "felt" was true......but before I could edit or re-post, Grelber had already pulled the pin on his grenade and tossed it.

It doesn't make things right, but that's "the rest of the story" from me.....

ryck #54065 04/15/20 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Judith? Jeez, does everybody have a better memory than me?

Well...a lot has happened since this time last year. wink

(And yes, I realize that she was here under a nom de plume...)

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
MacManiac #54070 04/16/20 08:38 AM

After I made that comment, I looked back and found 64 posts - not the majority of one that I'd "felt" was true......

While grelber's 64 posts out of ~275 in this thread don't make him a majority poster, he was more or less monopolizing the thread, "driving" it with his incessant (and, as you've noted, "very repetitious") links to the Times, and that made it seem "all him."

It'll be interesting to see where this thread goes without any new posts from him.

Page 11 of 21 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 20 21

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard