FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: I'm back about partitioning
plantsower #54353 04/27/20 01:09 PM

Quote:
Also, if APFS started with High Sierra, I guess I can start with that and let it absorb my apps, etc. from Sierra when I update

High Sierra can READ an APFS volume, it cannot format or install on an APFS volume. You have to go all the way to Mojave or Catalina.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54355 04/27/20 03:57 PM
OP Offline

So, if it can read an APFS volume, doesn't that mean it can easily upgrade to Mojave or Catalina, which will be able to format or be installed onto an APFs volume?

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Quote:
Also, if APFS started with High Sierra, I guess I can start with that and let it absorb my apps, etc. from Sierra when I update

High Sierra can READ an APFS volume, it cannot format or install on an APFS volume. You have to go all the way to Mojave or Catalina.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54359 04/27/20 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
So, if it can read an APFS volume, doesn't that mean it can easily upgrade to Mojave or Catalina, which will be able to format or be installed onto an APFs volume?

The ability to READ an APFS volume will have no effect one way or the other in upgrading to Mojave or Catalina. You could just as well remain in Sierra. Remember that we are roughly six months away from MacOS 10.16 (the successor to Catalina) so putting off going to Catalina would mean your learning curve will just get higher and steeper the longer you hesitate.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54361 04/27/20 07:08 PM
OP Offline

Well, fudge!

The ability to READ an APFS volume will have no effect one way or the other in upgrading to Mojave or Catalina. You could just as well remain in Sierra. Remember that we are roughly six months away from MacOS 10.16 (the successor to Catalina) so putting off going to Catalina would mean your learning curve will just get higher and steeper the longer you hesitate.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54362 04/27/20 07:10 PM
OP Offline

So are you telling me that if I just upgrade to Sierra, and later decide to upgrade to Catalina or higher, I can't easily take my apps and utilities with me like I normally do when I upgrade, or did I misunderstand?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

MacManiac #54363 04/27/20 07:16 PM
OP Offline

Was I right about the difference in thee two routers? I was awaiting an answer and then realized I really didn't ask you a question. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
Hi Rita, let me chime in here......for your needs as you have described them, the TP-Link 1200 router you've linked to should be adequate. I personally would always go just a little bit better than "adequate" with the idea that you won't always stay at the same level of need, and maybe you might want just a little overhead space for increased capacity.

So might I suggest you take a look at the Next step up as a possible consideration.

The price is close to your original choice and the reviews are just as good or better.

Let us know.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54365 04/27/20 09:19 PM

So are you telling me that if I just upgrade to Sierra, and later decide to upgrade to Catalina or higher, I can't easily take my apps and utilities with me like I normally do when I upgrade, or did I misunderstand?
That's partially true. 32-bit apps will not work in Catalina, and some of your 64-bit apps may have to be updated (if an update is available) for them to work.

For example, I always used MS Office 2008 (32-bit) pre-Catalina but it stopped working (and the apps won't even launch) in Catalina. I knew about this in advance and was ready for it. If you want to check compatibility before upgrading, explore https://roaringapps.com

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
plantsower #54366 04/27/20 09:26 PM

It would be no harder or easier to install Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina. You would simply install the chosen OS version on your internal drive and all of your existing apps, settings, and data will remain untouched — provided they are compatible with the version of MacOS you are installing.

With Mojave and Catalina you would have the option to use APFS with all of its advantages on your external drive as well as your internal drive. With Sierra and High Sierra APFS is not an option on either your internal or external drive.

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #54367 04/27/20 09:37 PM
OP Offline

Thanks. I know about the 32 bit vs 64 bit apps. I earlier looked up my apps and the only ones I care about are already 64 bit! Yay!

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
That's partially true. 32-bit apps will not work in Catalina, and some of your 64-bit apps may have to be updated (if an update is available) for them to work.

For example, I always used MS Office 2008 (32-bit) pre-Catalina but it stopped working (and the apps won't even launch) in Catalina. I knew about this in advance and was ready for it. If you want to check compatibility before upgrading, explore https://roaringapps.com

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54368 04/27/20 09:46 PM
OP Offline

So, let me drill down to what I really want to know. If I upgrade to High Sierra (which can read APFS) and decide to go with Mojave or Catalina later, will my 64 bit apps show up in said new OS, and would then said new OS use the APFS automatically, or by choice on my part, by clicking on something that says I want to use the APFS format? Or if there is no choice but to use APFS, I would hope it would just happen automatically. There, I've repeated myself several times. I hope I get my question across. If not, we are still not on the same page. LOL!

Artie!!! Hurry up and tell me in layman's terms a third grader can understand what I need to know here.

It would be no harder or easier to install Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina. You would simply install the chosen OS version on your internal drive and all of your existing apps, settings, and data will remain untouched — provided they are compatible with the version of MacOS you are installing.

With Mojave and Catalina you would have the option to use APFS with all of its advantages on your external drive as well as your internal drive. With Sierra and High Sierra APFS is not an option on either your internal or external drive.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54369 04/27/20 11:11 PM

All your apps will show up in Mojave or Catalina. Be aware that not all 64-bit apps will work because some may be incompatible with either of those operating systems. That's why I suggested that you check out Roaring Apps to see if your favorites will work. Upgrading to Catalina automatically converts to APFS. If I recall correctly, Mojave does not guarantee it, but someone else will have to verify that.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #54370 04/27/20 11:55 PM
OP Offline

OK, thanks. And thanks for reminding me to look at the app link. I just assumed 64 bit apps would all work. Hopefully, the ones I have will be listed.

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
All your apps will show up in Mojave or Catalina. Be aware that not all 64-bit apps will work because some may be incompatible with either of those operating systems. That's why I suggested that you check out Roaring Apps to see if your favorites will work. Upgrading to Catalina automatically converts to APFS. If I recall correctly, Mojave does not guarantee it, but someone else will have to verify that.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #54371 04/28/20 02:18 PM

Artie!!! Hurry up and tell me in layman's terms a third grader can understand what I need to know here.

Hi, Rita.

I'll be back later today. I've been working on an all-encompassing answer rather than jumping in on each post...and sleeping waaaaay more than I should tongue

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #54375 04/28/20 04:45 PM

Hi Rita, I'm still not sure I get a question out of this, but let me just amplify on my original suggestion.....

Your first link was to a fairly basic wireless router / access point that should meet your needs as they stand right now....and the price is quite reasonable.

The alternative link that I provided (also on Amazon) was to a slightly upgraded wireless router / access point that will meet your current needs and has a little more capability for future growth beyond your current needs.....and it is close enough to your initial price to make it worthwhile.

I personally would go for the increased capability....but that's up to you.

Hope this helps.

...OK, going back to see your original response, I think I see your question....

The additional features listed are more background noise than a reason to purchase.....what I was looking at as increased capability is the range and speed - the other stuff is just nice stuff that comes along with the package. FWIW, not all WiFi routers / access points come with VPN capability....and that's not something that you might need specifically as there are other ways to VPN besides at the router.

Last edited by MacManiac; 04/28/20 04:53 PM. Reason: additional response info

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #54376 04/28/20 05:16 PM
OP Offline

OK, now that I know the better one includes more speed and range, that makes more sense to me. I don't need the other stuff. Thanks for helping me make my decision. I will definitely get the little more pricey one.

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
Hi Rita, I'm still not sure I get a question out of this, but let me just amplify on my original suggestion.....

Your first link was to a fairly basic wireless router / access point that should meet your needs as they stand right now....and the price is quite reasonable.

The alternative link that I provided (also on Amazon) was to a slightly upgraded wireless router / access point that will meet your current needs and has a little more capability for future growth beyond your current needs.....and it is close enough to your initial price to make it worthwhile.

I personally would go for the increased capability....but that's up to you.

Hope this helps.

...OK, going back to see your original response, I think I see your question....

The additional features listed are more background noise than a reason to purchase.....what I was looking at as increased capability is the range and speed - the other stuff is just nice stuff that comes along with the package. FWIW, not all WiFi routers / access points come with VPN capability....and that's not something that you might need specifically as there are other ways to VPN besides at the router.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54377 04/28/20 05:17 PM
OP Offline

Ok, night night. Maybe if it's all encompassing, I won't have anymore questions after that. Yeah, right. A person can dream.

Originally Posted By: artie505

Hi, Rita.

I'll be back later today. I've been working on an all-encompassing answer rather than jumping in on each post...and sleeping waaaaay more than I should tongue

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54385 04/29/20 09:19 AM

...I am used to questions, they keep my mind sharp. I will let Artie speak for himself, but I get the feeling he has enjoyed this dialog and being able to help you as well.

For sure! smile

And that's despite the fact that after all we've gone through the answer has turned out to be precisely what I thought it would be at the outset, i.e. there's absolutely nothing wrong with Rita's MBP or its OS.

On the other hand, though, it has been quite a troubleshooting exercise, and we've at least determined that Macintosh HD needed to be repaired and have taken care of it, and we've also determined that Rita's external hasn't got any bad blocks, so she's set to upgrade to...something.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #54390 04/29/20 01:29 PM

Rita, you had another post dropped before I had a chance to listen, but every update has its critics. Based on the experience here at FTM, Catalina has been one of the easiest and cleanest upgrades in MacOS history. Even Artie only waited a few days before installing and he used to wait for the first or second update before upgrading. 😉 The 32/64 bit change did break some no longer supported applications, but Apple had been warning users about that for at least two years via announcements and pop-up warnings in Mojave. Developers were notified that the 32 bit APIs would be dropped at least three years in advance. Apps need to be kept up to date too. Some of the security changes broke hacks used by a very few users as well as significantly hardening Catalina against malware. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

COMMENT: The fact High Sierra can read APFS is of no consequence because it can neither format a drive APFS or install on a drive formatted APFS. The ability to read APFS was apparently included so developers could begin experimenting with it but it was not useful and almost never used. So don't include High Sierra's ability to read APFS in making your OS decision.

— Albert Einstein
plantsower #54391 04/29/20 03:34 PM

Ok, night night. Maybe if it's all encompassing, I won't have anymore questions after that. Yeah, right. A person can dream.

Actually, I looked out my window, and then at wunderground.com, and I realized that yesterday was the first Coney Island Boardwalk day of the season, and then I found out that Angel, my beer guy who generally has only Coors Light, which I find undrinkable, also has vodka & OJ, and the rest is unfortunate history. Alcohol and bright sunshine have always done me in. But it WAS worth it! smile laugh

1. Now that Macintosh HD has been repaired from Recovery and we've determined that your external hasn't got any bad blocks you're ready to proceed.

2. I'd delete all extraneous partitions from your internal and leave only Macintosh HD, i.e. "Sierra." Caveat: If you decide you'd like to maintain an onboard clone you'll need a second partition, which will really only be feasible with a second APFS container.

3. I"d wipe your external, reformat it HFS+, and partition it with five x 100 GB partitions and one x 500 GB partition. APFS is and will remain meaningless on that drive, because you've got only 44 GB of OS and data combined, and 1,000 GB of space, i.e. you'll never run out of space unless your computing habits change VERY DRASTICALLY. The five x 100s will give you ample space for backups of Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, and whatever comes next, with the 500 GB partition leaving you room for whatever unanticipated extreme need may arise.

4. As far as cleaning house goes, I suggest that you do it before upgrading so you won't have to clean both "XYZ" and Sierra on your external afterwards.

5. Next, I'd clone your house-cleaned Macintosh HD to your external...which partition isn't particularly consequential.

6. Now, choose your poison, i.e. High Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina, and d/l it while booted into Macintosh HD on your INTERNAL drive. The installer will go to /Apps.

7. Launch and run the installer. It will overwrite Sierra to "XYZ" but leave ALL your apps and data intact. The same scenario applies to running ANY upgrade over ANY previous version (except for the Catalina possibility of a folder on your desktop mentioned by joemike, and like him I've never found anything in one of them that meant anything to me or affected my computing).

8. If you choose to upgrade via a "clean install," you can run Migration Assistant to import your apps, data, and settings from any other volume.

9. 32 v 64 bit apps: Even if you upgrade to Catalina, don't give them a second thought UNLESS, like some FTM posters, you're running one or more apps that you absolutely can't live without or are too expensive to update/grade, Adobe CS being a prime example.Yeah, it would be nice to be able to maintain all your inconsequential but beloved apps, but the cost of being unable to upgrade makes it a losing option.(I lost a couple myself, but nonetheless, I've never looked back.)

10. Learning curve #1: I upgraded from Snow Leopard to El Capitan, a jump of four OSs, and didn't run into any problems. The first thing I always do after any upgrade is go through System Prefs to see what Apple has jackassed around from version to version, and I let features resolve themselves. I don't recall ever losing any important ones; my real problem has always been uncovering the new ones.

11. Learning curve #2: I don't remember in which OS versions or order they phase in, but you WILL run into some new security features as you meander along the upgrade trail, but in each instance they're presented in the form of (generally tongue ) intuitive pop-ups accompanied by expert interpretation here at FTM. wink

12. As has been previously mentioned, Mojave will give you an HFS+/APFS option (Take APFS!), and Catalina will auto-upgrade to APFS, but all that is so far under the hood that you needn't worry about it. (It's pertinent to me because I"ve always been a big-time partitioner, and to joemike because with APFS he's become one.)

Ironically, the biggest learning curve item hasn't been mentioned yet... Safari 12 will "kill" ALL your extensions and necessitate their being replaced with apps, either from the App Store or freestanding, that may or may not replace your lost functionality. You're going to be on your own in that respect, although if you tell us which ones you're running we may be able to help.

If you upgrade only to High Sierra, though, there's a saver: The d/l to which I linked you installs Safari 11 and perpetuates your extensions, but (CAVEAT) if you allow Software Update to do its thing it will update Safari to v 13 and undo the saver.

Well, that's my take on things after taking into account all I know of your computing habits, all the excellent info provided by the other posters to this thread, joemike in particular, and all I know and can think of.

I think, read hope, I've touched all bases without getting too technical.

artie505 #54395 04/29/20 04:46 PM

As has been previously mentioned, Mojave will give you an HFS+/APFS option (Take APFS!), and Catalina will auto-upgrade to APFS, but all that is so far under the hood that you needn't worry about it. (It's pertinent to me because I"ve always been a big-time partitioner, and to joemike because with APFS he's become one.)

Not quite, I am still an anti-partitioner! 🙅‍♂️ I like and use APFS volumes 👌 but they shouldn't be equated to a Partition. A Partition is a fixed allocation of hardware disk space while a Volume is a virtual data structure that files can be assigned to and those files can be anywhere on the drive. APFS Volumes neatly avoid all of the constraints and restrictions that I objected to in Partitions.

Other than that, I agree with everything Artie said.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54398 04/29/20 05:02 PM

Thanks for your vote of confidence. smile

Now let's see if I've "dumbed it down" enough for Rita.

My mistake. I knew you were big-time on volumes, but I thought containers/partitions entered into your scheme too.

As I've said, I've got two containers on my internal so I can maintain an onboard clone that's separate and distinct from my boot volume, because, frankly, it's just plain too much trouble to dig out my external and hook it up and do the CCC job every day. And chances are that that's at least part of the reason Rita's clone is way behind the times.

artie505 #54399 04/29/20 05:05 PM
OP Offline

Actually, I looked out my window, and then at wunderground.com, and I realized that yesterday was the first Coney Island Boardwalk day of the season, and then I found out that Angel, my beer guy who generally has only Coors Light, which I find undrinkable, also has vodka & OJ, and the rest is unfortunate history. Alcohol and bright sunshine have always done me in. But it WAS worth it! smile laugh

LOLOLOLOLOL! That made my day, and apparently your's too. smile

1. Now that Macintosh HD has been repaired from Recovery and we've determined that your external hasn't got any bad blocks you're ready to proceed.

I didn't realize my external had no bad blocks as Mavericks is gone (which is fine).

2. I'd delete all extraneous partitions from your internal and leave only Macintosh HD, i.e. "Sierra." Caveat: If you decide you'd like to maintain an onboard clone you'll need a second partition, which will really only be feasible with a second APFS container.

I don't understand the reason for an onboard clone (and I don't know how to do that) unless it's just to keep Sierra before upgrading. I use an ext HD to clone my OS incase my Mac giv[b]es me problems.[/b]
Pls forgive the color/bold boo boos. Not sure why that happens only sometimes!

3. I"d wipe your external, reformat it HFS+, and partition it with five x 100 GB partitions and one x 500 GB partition. APFS is and will remain meaningless on that drive, because you've got only 44 GB of OS and data combined, and 1,000 GB of space, i.e. you'll never run out of space unless your computing habits change VERY DRASTICALLY. The five x 100s will give you ample space for backups of Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, and whatever comes next, with the 500 GB partition leaving you room for whatever unanticipated extreme need may arise.

Got it!

4. As far as cleaning house goes, I suggest that you do it before upgrading so you won't have to clean both "XYZ" and Sierra on your external afterwards.

[color:#FF0000]OK.[/color]

5. Next, I'd clone your house-cleaned Macintosh HD to your external...which partition isn't particularly consequential.

Not sure exactly what you mean by cloning my HD rather than just Sierra, et al.

6. Now, choose your poison, i.e. High Sierra, Mojave, or Catalina, and d/l it while booted into Macintosh HD on your INTERNAL drive. The installer will go to /Apps.

OK.

7. Launch and run the installer. It will overwrite Sierra to "XYZ" but leave ALL your apps and data intact. The same scenario applies to running ANY upgrade over ANY previous version (except for the Catalina possibility of a folder on your desktop mentioned by joemike, and like him I've never found anything in one of them that meant anything to me or affected my computing).

OK.

8. If you choose to upgrade via a "clean install," you can run Migration Assistant to import your apps, data, and settings from any other volume.

I probably won't run a clean one because I don't want the trouble to migrating what would naturally come along with the upgra
de.

9. 32 v 64 bit apps: Even if you upgrade to Catalina, don't give them a second thought UNLESS, like some FTM posters, you're running one or more apps that you absolutely can't live without or are too expensive to update/grade, Adobe CS being a prime example.Yeah, it would be nice to be able to maintain all your inconsequential but beloved apps, but the cost of being unable to upgrade makes it a losing option.(I lost a couple myself, but nonetheless, I've never looked back.)

Mostly the apps that are important to me are MalwareBytes and some Ad Blocking software. I do use an RSS feed called Etrefeed which I almost didn't get with my Sierra upgrade. It isn't being updated anymore, so I may lose it. I like it more than some others I have tried. I will hate to not have that. Oh well.

10. Learning curve #1: I upgraded from Snow Leopard to El Capitan, a jump of four OSs, and didn't run into any problems. The first thing I always do after any upgrade is go through System Prefs to see what Apple has jackassed around from version to version, and I let features resolve themselves. I don't recall ever losing any important ones; my real problem has always been uncovering the new ones.

11. Learning curve #2: I don't remember in which OS versions or order they phase in, but you WILL run into some new security features as you meander along the upgrade trail, but in each instance they're presented in the form of (generally tongue ) intuitive pop-ups accompanied by expert interpretation here at FTM. wink

OK. I am wondering with all the security upgrades, when I may no longer need MalwareBytes. Or maybe I will until I upgrade to Catalina.ll.

12. As has been previously mentioned, Mojave will give you an HFS+/APFS option (Take APFS!), and Catalina will auto-upgrade to APFS, but all that is so far under the hood that you needn't worry about it. (It's pertinent to me because I"ve always been a big-time partitioner, and to joemike because with APFS he's become one.)

Ironically, the biggest learning curve item hasn't been mentioned yet... Safari 12 will "kill" ALL your extensions and necessitate their being replaced with apps, either from the App Store or freestanding, that may or may not replace your lost functionality. You're going to be on your own in that respect, although if you tell us which ones you're running we may be able to help.

OK. Like I said, Ad Blocking apps are my main concern. I can always re-downlaod those. I am keeping a list of what I may lose.

If you upgrade only to High Sierra, though, there's a saver: The d/l to which I linked you installs Safari 11 and perpetuates your extensions, but (CAVEAT) if you allow Software Update to do its thing it will update Safari to v 13 and undo the saver.

Good to know. I migh
t have freaked!

Well, that's my take on things after taking into account all I know of your computing habits, all the excellent info provided by the other posters to this thread, joemike in particular, and all I know and can think of.

I think, read hope, I've touched all bases without getting too technical. [/quote]

You did, and I understood most of it (after a second read). You can see my misunderstandings above. Thanks so much for your time, Artie, with entertainment thrown in.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #54400 04/29/20 05:12 PM
OP Offline

Alrighty, then!!

As has been previously mentioned, Mojave will give you an HFS+/APFS option (Take APFS!), and Catalina will auto-upgrade to APFS, but all that is so far under the hood that you needn't worry about it. (It's pertinent to me because I"ve always been a big-time partitioner, and to joemike because with APFS he's become one.)

Not quite, I am still an anti-partitioner! 🙅‍♂️ I like and use APFS volumes 👌 but they shouldn't be equated to a Partition. A Partition is a fixed allocation of hardware disk space while a Volume is a virtual data structure that files can be assigned to and those files can be anywhere on the drive. APFS Volumes neatly avoid all of the constraints and restrictions that I objected to in Partitions.

Other than that, I agree with everything Artie said.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #54405 04/29/20 09:41 PM

My mistake. I knew you were big-time on volumes, but I thought containers/partitions entered into your scheme too.

Containers, Volume Groups, and Volumes are all part of APFS's hierarchy of virtual structures and are free to expand or shrink to fill the immediate data storage needs. None of them are anchored to a specific physical location on the drive and by default each of them has access to the entire capacity of the drive (or partition) they are mounted on, unless they are specifically created with limits.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #54408 04/29/20 11:11 PM

Containers, Volume Groups, and Volumes are all part of APFS's hierarchy of virtual structures and are free to expand or shrink to fill the immediate data storage needs.

I know about APFS containers and volumes, and actually you misspoke in this particular instance, because a container's size is fixed, same as that of an HFS+ partition; it's only volumes that may expand and contract as needed.

I was thinking that you made use of both multiple containers and multiple volumes in your scheme of things, but I've now looked back and realized that you said you were still anti-partition and I forgot. blush

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard