FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Where Have I Posted?
#195 08/05/09 05:50 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Is there supposed to be an indicator as to which threads I've posted in already? If so, my myopic tendencies are working quite well. If not, it would be nice to have.

Re: Where Have I Posted?
Gregg #200 08/05/09 05:57 PM

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but your Profile has a 'Show User's Posts' button, listing them from the most recent down.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #356 08/06/09 08:35 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

I don't see that in Profile or Preferences. Could you pinpoint it for me?

I can see a graphic indicating which threads have new posts since my last visit. This is what I'm looking for: Is there a graphic that indicates which threads I have posted in? ...whether there are other new posts or not

Gregg #357 08/06/09 08:47 PM

Near the top, click on My Stuff, and then click on Posts.

Gregg #358 08/06/09 08:49 PM

Select 'View Profile' from the 'My Stuff' drop down menu and the 'Show User's Posts' button is in the center of that Profile window, between the avatar portion up top, and 'About Me' part below. The button doesn't have an outline, it's just text.
That said, the 'My Stuff' drop down menu also has a direct link to your posts called 'Posts'...

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'a graphic indicating which threads have new posts since my last visit' in your Profile or Prefs.

alternaut moderator
Gregg #359 08/06/09 09:16 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Are you referring to a dot or other such little indicator that shows up next to threads you've posted in, when you're viewing the thread list in a particular forum? If so, unfortunately UBB.threads doesn't yet have that feature. Hopefully one day...

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
alternaut #361 08/06/09 09:26 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: alternaut
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'a graphic indicating which threads have new posts since my last visit' in your Profile or Prefs.

Yes, I can tell. We're still passing in the night. But actually, what I'm inquiring about is where I have posted already. What you've referred to in the above quote, I've already observed... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

As an aside, it's odd (and, as we've seen, rather confusing when trying to refer to a user's profile) that there is an Edit Profile and a View Profile drop down.

(and thanks, Dave, for the effort)

Lemme try again....

When I open Home>Forums I see the list of Forums. When I open a Forum, I see a list of threads. The far left column has a folder icon. I have deduced that when the icon is white, there are no new posts, and when it is yellow, there are - since my last visit, of course. I do not see anything that would tell me, "You have posted in this thread" when I am looking at this list. Is there supposed to be? If not, can there be?

Other sites show a legend of the icons at the bottom of the page. If that is a feature of our software, it would be good to get it activated. It's a work in progress, and the progress has been very rapid so far.

Another aside: I've no idea what the "page with writing" icon between the folder icon and the topic title is signifying. A legend could make that clear.

I'm sure the moderators here lead busy lives. If any of you have a chance to visit other forums, you will see features that, thus far, this site lacks. Maybe that's a function of what's available in other software packages rather than what's activated here. Did that make sense?

cyn #362 08/06/09 09:27 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes! Thanks for the information.

Obviously, I was composing when you posted.

Gregg #388 08/06/09 11:34 PM

Quote:
If any of you have a chance to visit other forums, you will see features that, thus far, this site lacks. Maybe that's a function of what's available in other software packages rather than what's activated here. Did that make sense?

Yes, and that's exactly right. Every bulletin board software package has some features and lacks others. This one is no exception.

UBB.threads was chosen for a variety of reasons, perhaps most important among them the facts that 1) the core group of initial members would be familiar with how to use the new forums and 2) the staff would be familiar with how to set up and manage the new forums.

Considering the fact that we largely replicated the look and feel of MFIF in an entirely new venture in less than a week, those two reasons were highly compelling.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #506 08/07/09 05:09 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Absolutely the right decision....

And I take it that Quote+ is also a feature that's not available in the UBB software. (crossing threads here, but it fits)

Gregg #521 08/07/09 06:50 PM

Gregg,
Quote:
I've no idea what the "page with writing" icon between the folder icon and the topic title is signifying.
I think you are referring to the Posting Icon.

Click the Reply button. Nine options are available. If you hover over one of the graphics, a tool tip box should appear containing the name of the posting icon.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #525 08/07/09 07:00 PM

I see 15 options. All have tool tips except #. What's that one? I clicked at and saw a drop-down menu but I don't understand it.

Last edited by jchuzi; 08/07/09 07:01 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #529 08/07/09 07:32 PM

Jon,

I think you are looking at the options for working within the Post box.

As to the #, all I know is in FAQ –> What UBBCode can I use in my post? –> Code Tags & Highlighting. Two of the four choices are listed.

To see the icon I think Gregg is asking about, read down the left side of the New Reply page:
• Posting form
• Subject
• Posting Icon. I usually leave the default, “book,” checked.
• etc.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #535 08/07/09 08:14 PM

Thanks, Dianne. You were right.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
dianne #539 08/07/09 08:51 PM
Gregg Offline OP
OP Offline

Got it. Most of them seem rather meaningless. I did see one thread with the "trophy" icon. That tells me, um, tells me, aw, that doesn't tell me nuthin'!

I guess that's why most people ignore it. So, can it be turned off? I looked for a setting to perhaps change the default to No icon but did not see one.

I didn't pay much attention to these finer details at the old site. But, it's a new day!

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard