for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mojave security update quirk
#53781 03/24/20 10:28 PM
OP Offline

I ran software update to install the latest security update for Mojave. It took ages. Normally, my iMac boots in about 25-30 seconds. After the update, it took over a minute before I even saw a progress bar.

I ran Disk Utility, I reset PRAM, I ran OnyX, but the situation did not improve.

Finally, I downloaded the security update from Mac downloads and ran from the disk image. The update went much quicker and now my quick boot time is restored. I booted from a backup drive and ran Disk Utility for my peace of mind.

I wish DiskWarrior would hurry with their APFS update...

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
Re: Mojave security update quirk
freelance #53782 03/24/20 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: freelance
I wish DiskWarrior would hurry with their APFS update...

You might take a look at TechTool Pro 12. It is APFS compatible and comes with a built in tool to create a bootable recovery volume. Mine is on a thumb drive, slow but it works.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53784 03/24/20 11:08 PM

TTP 12 is not entirely compatible with APFS systems. The TTP manual states:

When running Volume Rebuild on APFS volumes, a full directory optimization is not yet available. However, directory errors can be repaired.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #53791 03/25/20 08:18 AM
OP Offline

DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro have always been in my tool box. I relied on DW to maintain the directory and TTP (mainly) for volume optimization. However, there is no point in optimizing a SSD, apparently. So, I have not upgraded past TTP 11.

I've stopped checking DW's site for update info and signed up to their mailing list. They say they'll notify us when the new DW is available. I can't believe that won't come with an additional charge.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #53931 04/11/20 09:57 PM

I have not upgraded past TTP 11.

I haven't upgraded either. I don't see the point. Seems like there are fewer tools that can actually be used anymore.

Gregg #53936 04/12/20 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Gregg
I have not upgraded past TTP 11.

I haven't upgraded either. I don't see the point. Seems like there are fewer tools that can actually be used anymore.

I"d say "that actually NEED to be used any more."

I never went past TTP 6.

There's virtually no need for such tools any more - their devs are scrambling to add "features" to keep them relevant - and since they're now-downloadable rather than needing to be acquired via snail mail there's really no need to update until necessity strikes.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #53944 04/12/20 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
There's virtually no need for such tools any more - their devs are scrambling to add "features" to keep them relevant...

Although I haven't had a need for TTP, DW, or DG in years, I have kept TTP up to date as much out of habit as anything else, but the only reason I upgraded to TTP 12 was to see what TTP is able to do with APFS volumes. The latest version 12.0.2 (5730-da2483c26) can do a Partition Repair on a drive with APFS volume structure(s) and can Rebuild an APFS volume, but since APFS is optimized for SSD media it will not perform either a file or volume optimization as either would be pointless at best and could even be counterproductive. TTP 12 also offers volume or disk image cloning using either Duplicate or File synch methodology. (IMHO It is no substitute for Carbon Copy Cloner, but a lot easier to use than TinkerTool System.) I seriously doubt I will be tempted to upgrade beyond TTP 12.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53948 04/12/20 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I seriously doubt I will be tempted to upgrade beyond TTP 12.

New technology is your carrot. You'll chase it if it's there. grin

Indeed, TinkerTool System's cloning interface was a colossal mess when I used it. I believe it's been cleaned up since then, but I've used up my free trial and won't find out until I need the app badly enough to buy it.

What's been overlooked in all the discussions we've had in various threads about the need or lack thereof for tools such as TTP, DW, and DG is the fact that snapshots, Time Machine, clones, and the incredible speed of today's transmission technology and protocols have combined to make attempting repairs almost pointless. Restoring will invariably take less time than running any of those utilities and waiting for it to diagnose and repair.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #53949 04/12/20 10:58 PM

All that is lacking is a user friendly GUI front end and I suspect third party developers are reluctant to stick their toe in that water for fear Apple will release their own GUI front end in MacOS 10.16 or it may be they are simply waiting on documentation of APIs already preset in Catalina.

— Albert Einstein
freelance #54087 04/16/20 04:29 PM

I've stopped checking DW's site for update info and signed up to their mailing list. They say they'll notify us when the new DW is available.

I recently needed to contact AlSoft for assistance with a Disk Warrior question and have learned that Apple finally provided AlSoft developers with the "Read" portion of the documentation regarding APFS. Now that this is available, their development team is working to complete the upgrade, but will need the "write" documentation to be released before an upgrade can be available.

I hope Apple is less tardy in providing the “write” information as I look forward to a DiskWarrior 6.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard