FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rare white giraffes
#53638 03/12/20 02:41 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

In the midst of all the other bad news, we hear that two of the three remaining rare white giraffes (mother and calf) are slaughtered by poachers. . Personally I think it’s time for the military in various countries to move in and slaughter poachers.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Rare white giraffes
ryck #53639 03/12/20 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
In the midst of all the other bad news, we hear that two of the three remaining rare white giraffes (mother and calf) are slaughtered by poachers. Personally I think it’s time for the military in various countries to move in and slaughter poachers.

Harking back to Hannibal:
"Intestines in or out? Out, I think." mad

Re: Rare white giraffes
ryck #53643 03/13/20 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Personally I think it’s time for the military in various countries to move in and slaughter poachers.

If only it were that simple. The slaughter of wildlife is tragic and must be stopped before it is too late. But many, perhaps most, of the poachers are desperately poor people trying to feed themselves and their families in economies where there are neither jobs nor opportunities. The long term solution to poaching requires fundamental changes to the culture and economy of Africa. Experts in many fields agree that one of the most promising projects involves bringing electric power to remote villages and areas because that power is key to exploiting the continent's vast mineral resources, creating opportunities and jobs, thereby making poaching unnecessary for survival. But that project is made very dangerous by tribal warfare and factionalism and it goes on an on from there.

In the meantime the animals must be protected and the best way to protect the animals is… and we have gone full circle.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard