An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#53589 - 03/07/20 09:26 AM Restart weirdness
artie505 Online

This never happened before Catalina: occasionally, when I restart my MBP, rather than going black, my screen changes to the Catalina screen. It may also happen when I shut down, but I"m not sure.

Anybody else seeing this?

More: I should have mentioned that the Catalina screen is not my desktop screen; it appears from out of the blue.

Edited by artie505 (03/07/20 09:54 AM)
Edit Reason: More

In Memory Of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

#53590 - 03/07/20 12:08 PM Re: Restart weirdness [Re: artie505]
jchuzi Online

Loc: New York State
I see that when shutting down but not when starting up.

macOS 10.15.5, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

#53592 - 03/07/20 04:12 PM Re: Restart weirdness [Re: jchuzi]
artie505 Online

I don't see it when starting up either, only when I restart or, possibly, shut down, and only very occasionally under those circumstances.

In Memory Of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

#53608 - 03/08/20 12:10 PM Re: Restart weirdness [Re: artie505]
joemikeb Online

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
I have seen that behavior since the first Catalina beta both staring up and shutting down. The only way I found to stop is was to change my desktops to Catalina. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

I have also encountered an annoyance where the system seems to lose track of the exact position of the edge of the primary display and the desktop will track the cursor ¼" or so left or right between the two monitors. So far, this has not occurred in 10.15.4 beta 4 🀞

#53609 - 03/08/20 12:15 PM Re: Restart weirdness [Re: joemikeb]
artie505 Online

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I have seen that behavior since the first Catalina beta both staring up and shutting down. The only way I found to stop is was to change my desktops to Catalina. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

I'll "suffer;" my chosen desktop is more important than squashing a momentary annoyance.

Moderator:  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb