Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Calendar Event question, does it work?
#53499 02/28/20 04:06 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I did my first Calendar event alert.

I seems to appear as I wake up the ipad. But I don't ever see this alert on the iphone or , desktop, or laptop. All synced up. So lost on that..

Re: Calendar Event question, does it work?
kevs #53500 02/28/20 04:42 PM

They could be synced, but if you don't have notifications turned on for a device, you may not see it. Check out System Preferences>Notifications>Calendar and turn on "Allow…".

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #53501 02/28/20 04:54 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira, thanks, I see notifications on iphone, but system prefs for normal desktop OS I cannot see / find notifications anywhere.

kevs #53502 02/28/20 05:09 PM

Look under "View" in your System Prefs menu bar.

Chances are that "Notifications" isn't checked for visibility, so hit View > Customize and check its box.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #53503 02/28/20 05:46 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks

1- on Laptop, notifications is not in normal system pref window, but in menu view list. Desktop is both. What is up with that? How get things back and forth.? . I thought everything is just in the window.

2- On laptop, notifications, calendar, confusing, I have set for always in dropdown, but None on the confusing choices at top. So at top I chose, alert, but banner is also an alert? But cannot pick both I don't think. Messy design.

kevs #53506 02/28/20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks

1- on Laptop, notifications is not in normal system pref window, but in menu view list. Desktop is both. What is up with that? How get things back and forth.? . I thought everything is just in the window.

As I said, hit View > Customize on the laptop and check the "Notifications" box. (Mine was unchecked too, so thanks for the push.)

2- On laptop, notifications, calendar, confusing, I have set for always in dropdown, but None on the confusing choices at top. So at top I chose, alert, but banner is also an alert? But cannot pick both I don't think. Messy design.

You can only pick one of the two, and their functionality is clearly described.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #53507 02/28/20 06:20 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

ok help. let's see what happens, now just chose alerts.. But then iphone has alert on yet no alert comes.

kevs #53508 02/28/20 06:50 PM

ok help. let's see what happens, now just chose alerts.. But then iphone has alert on yet no alert comes.

Settings > Notifications > Show Previews > Always

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53512 02/28/20 11:26 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, yes that has been turned on for iphone. Is there an equivalent for desktop?

kevs #53514 02/28/20 11:46 PM

Thanks Joe, yes that has been turned on for iphone. Is there an equivalent for desktop?

In System Preferences > Notifications at the top of the applications list there is an item labeled Do Not Disturb that if turned ON will suppress Notifications. You can set Do Not Disturb ON…
  • automatically during certain hours of the day
  • when the display is sleeping
  • when the screen is locked
  • when mirroring the screen
…as well as specifying conditions where phone calls can override Do Not Disturb.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53515 02/29/20 12:03 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe hos is Do not disturb related to it all?

Actually, I don't even know what Show Previews > Always achieves, but I trust you so I just mentioned I dont' see Show Previews > Always offered on normal desktop OS.

Not sure how Do not Disturb feature follows up on not being able to find Show Previews > Alway on desktop.

I do use Do not disturb, for years... I shut everything off between midnight and 8am

kevs #53516 02/29/20 02:00 AM

Joe hos is Do not disturb related to it all?
In both iOS and MacOS "Do Not Disturb" silences calls and notifications including notifications of calendar events.
Originally Posted By: keys
Actually, I don't even know what Show Previews > Always achieves, but I trust you so I just mentioned I dont' see Show Previews > Always offered on normal desktop OS.
"Show Previews" is unique to iOS and iPadOS and controls the display of Notifications on a locked screen. Why it is "Show Previews" and not "Show Nofications" you will have to ask the human engineering group at Apple in Cupertino, California but I guess it was intended to prevent confusion.
Originally Posted By: keys
Not sure how Do not Disturb feature follows up on not being able to find Show Previews > Alway on desktop.
You cannot find Show Previews > always on any MacOS device such as your desktop because it does not exist per. se. However System Preferences > Notifications > Do Not Disturb provides the same functionality on MacOS that Settings > Notifications > Show Previews does in iOS and iPadOS.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53517 02/29/20 03:49 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok Joe, thanks, this is a weekly Wednesday notification. I do have do not disturb on iphone that end at 8am.

Desktop none, so I'll see how this plays out! appreciate it.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard