for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mysterious images in Music
#53436 02/20/20 08:09 AM
OP Online

These two images have invaded my Music "library." (This goes back any number of macOS and possibly even OS X versions, but it's only now bothering me.)

I've searched, but I"ve still got no idea from where they came, how I got them, where they're stored, or how to get rid of them.

Has anybody got a clue?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Mysterious images in Music
artie505 #53438 02/20/20 04:40 PM

Depends on what you want to accomplish:
  • To get rid of the artist altogether Right click on the artist name then select "Delete from Library" from the drop down list. (this will also delete any tunes associated with the artist
  • To change the artist's image Get Info on the image in Artists then select the "Artwork" tab and insert whatever image you want for the Artist. NOTE: You can change the artwork associated with album in the same manner by selecting the album instead of the artist.
The artist and album art is stored in user's Music Library.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53440 02/20/20 05:14 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
To change the artist's image Get Info on the image in Artists then select the "Artwork" tab and insert whatever image you want for the Artist. NOTE: You can change the artwork associated with album in the same manner by selecting the album instead of the artist.

Thanks.

I wasn't explicit there: The artists are part of my library; it's those obnoxious images that I want to get rid of.

Nope, that doesn't work; the Get Info you've suggested doesn't affect the artist's image...neither shows the current one nor offers a "Reset Default" option, and specifically refers to album artwork.

I wonder if those images are stored in one of the databases in Music Library.musiclibrary?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #53441 02/20/20 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I wonder if those images are stored in one of the databases in Music Library.musiclibrary?

Almost certainly they are in one of the databases incorporated into the Music Library.musiclibrary package. I found the Belini image in Apple's Music library. I know that at one time Apple used a third party source for the album artwork and when there were multiple options simply selected the first one on the list. I haven't looked at every image in my artists list but as far as I can tell the artist image is either the entire album cover or a clip from the cover which is why I suggested changing the album cover.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53442 02/21/20 07:35 AM
OP Online

The screenshot I posted is of the ONLY artwork ANYWHERE in my ENTIRE Music installation...two libraries...no album covers, no nothing else.

These are the images I should have (more or less), so I suppose it's possible that iTunes (The issue precedes Music.) grabbed the first images it found, but I'm still at a loss as to when, where, how, why only those two, and, most importantly, where they live.

I booted into another volume and trashed the obvious victims in ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary/Contents
  • Extras.itdb
  • Genius.itdb
  • and Preferences.plist
leaving
  • Application.musicdb
  • Library Preferences.musicdb
  • and Library.musicdb
intact, because they're more recent and sound more important,and I didn't want to mess with them over an inconsequental issue, but with no joy.

Update: Oh, well, I finally just trashed everything, one at a time, and found that those images somehow lived in Library.musicdb. They're now gone, and I've got to reconfigure my Music window...GIANT PIA!

Thanks for your help.

artie505 #53445 02/21/20 03:31 PM

The screenshot I posted is of the ONLY artwork ANYWHERE in my ENTIRE Music installation...two libraries...no album covers, no nothing else.

Just curious....why do you choose not to use album covers? Is there a functional reason?

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #53447 02/21/20 04:08 PM

Update: Oh, well, I finally just trashed everything, one at a time, and found that those images somehow lived in Library.musicdb. They're now gone, and I've got to reconfigure my Music window...GIANT PIA!

Huh, so you couldn't take my guess about it 🙎🏻‍♂️(that emoji is a "man pouting") 😊

FWIW I just checked and verified the Music folder is included in Time Machine backups so it is recoverable and you wouldn't necessarily need to reconfigure your Music window.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53449 02/21/20 05:06 PM
OP Online

Huh, so you couldn't take my guess about it 🙎🏻‍♂️(that emoji is a "man pouting") 😊

You didn't guess about anything; you confirmed in Ira's thread that the problem lived somewhere in Music Library.musiclibrary, but not precisely where, so I took a quick first look, threw in the towel, and then decided to go for broke.

FWIW I just checked and verified the Music folder is included in Time Machine backups so it is recoverable and you wouldn't necessarily need to reconfigure your Music window.

To which Music folder are you referring?

I backed up the contents of Music Library.musiclibrary before trashing them, but the only way I could get rid of the images was by trashing whatever contained the window settings. (Restoring them wasn't as big a PIA as I imagined it would be, but going back to reset things that were set, literally, YEARS ago is always a daunting task.)

ryck #53450 02/21/20 05:13 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: ryck

Just curious....why do you choose not to use album covers? Is there a functional reason?

Virtually all of my music comes from vinyl rips, WQXR radio, and the Internet and is in formats that probably can't be traced back to the originals, and I don't really care about album art, so I never even tried to find it.

More: But since you asked, I tried "Get Album Artwork," and, indeed, it didn't find a single item, not even one which I imported from a CD myself...probably because I changed its formatting.

Last edited by artie505; 02/21/20 06:36 PM. Reason: More

artie505 #53742 03/21/20 10:52 PM
OP Online

And after all I went through to get rid of them, those same images were back last night when I happened to take a look. frown

I'd love to now how and why they get there.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard