FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MSNCBC ISSUES
#53316 01/22/20 11:01 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

nyone get msnbc video to work? I'm stuck. To be fair, very hard also with other browser, why?

Re: MSNCBC ISSUES
kevs #53322 01/23/20 04:13 PM

The videos work just fine for me using Safari Technology Preview Release 99 (Safari 13.2, WebKit 15610.1.1) and Safari Version 13.0.5 (15608.5.6) running on MacOS 10.05.3 beta 2. Perhaps a touch slow to load but other than that no problem.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53323 01/23/20 05:05 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, thanks, today ok, but for 2 days, working poorly. That's thing with MSNBC, their video engine it horrid. I wish they did what PBS, does and use YouTube.

But I could ask a favor: can you please test with Firefox and Chrome? Firefox is my default favorite browser; but cannot get MSNBC to work with FF or even Chrome, only Safari for some reason.

kevs #53324 01/23/20 05:31 PM

Works perfectly with Firefox 72.0.1 and I don't have Chrome (I try to avoid Google as much as possible).

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53325 01/23/20 06:10 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe,

http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/episodes#

I have FF 72.0.2

Flash says updated, clouds moving in test:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

And yet I click play, any morning Joe video, nothing happens. Just tried now again. It's been a year with FF and morning Joe no luck. Any ideas?

kevs #53326 01/23/20 09:27 PM

If I follow your link...
  • The Morning Joe video plays in Safari Technology Preview but there is no audio.
  • Firefox started playing the video. again without the audio, but after several seconds the video was replaced by a request to install Flash video player.
If I go to https://www.msnbc.com and click on the MorningJoe link (https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe) the MorningJoe episodes play correctly in either Safari or Firefox. I did some further exploration and found that when you add /episodes# to the link the problem arises. Without spending hours troubleshooting MSNBC's code and site design, all I can do is speculate there is some old, out of date, HTML on the site. But in any case the problem is MSNBC's and nothing you can do will correct the problem other than contacting MSNBC's web manager and complaining. In the meantime you may not be able to get to past episodes of MorningJoe.

NOTE:
  • Flash is an EOL (End Of Life) technology and Adobe iwill end all support of Flash on December 31, 2020.
  • The latest release of Safari Technology Preview does not support Flash
  • It is highly likely Flash will not be supported in the next release of Safari
  • Flash has never run on iOS
  • I do not have Flash installed on my computer.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53327 01/23/20 09:36 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks Joe, great, really appreciate this.

Yeah, I went morningjoe.com and no problem. I think there is better embedded system.

I just totally prefer the layout of the older link with /episoes as that layout shows date of the show, some reason morningjoe homepage no dates..

But episodes page needs flash while normal homepage does not..?

Even with safari, I have to do right click workaround to get it to work.

In short, maybe I just have to get used to the newer inferior layout on homepage...

Nice overview, apprentice it.. and yeah, flash is pathetic, so glad its going away..

So maybe the homepage is decent video engine, whereas the old layout with episodes is easier to but inferior?

You had a good points while back, that sometimes you move to somethings that you are sure is less comforatble (magic keyboard) and then adjust...

kevs #53328 01/24/20 12:22 AM

The video engine as you are calling it exists on your computer not the MSNBC web site. The difference is your link (….episodes#) is coded using Flash commands rather than HTML 5. No matter what language or video format is used they are all dependent on interpreters installed on your computer for display. Flash is unique in its dependence on a proprietary plugin for its execution whereas HTML 5, CSS, javascript, and MP5 are based on international standards and built into the various browsers and operating systems.

The basic Look & Feel of a site is more a function of how it is designed and coded than the coding language used but there are differences in each language's capabilities. It appears the normal homepage is coded in HTML 5 which is in almost every way superior to Flash, does not require any proprietary plugins on your computer, and plays nice on the iOS devices that lead today's dominant market.

I suspect MSNBC has elected not to take the …episodes# branch down because it supports users with browsers too old to have HTML 5 support. It may remain up until the traffic count gets too low to justify the cost of keeping it live.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53329 01/24/20 02:21 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, wow fascinating that. I always assumed the sites has it's own 'video engine", and I made up that term.

PBS, never problems. I've only elected to bookmark the full episodes page as it has a better linear design with the exact dates of episode. For some reason ( have guess?) the new html homepage has no dates!

That said, this is good to know as I'll then probably then just get used to the homepage which is not flash and stable.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard