An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#53151 - 12/19/19 01:42 AM Calqulator?
artie505 Online

I'm looking for a calculator to replace the wonderfully conceived but, unfortunately, 32 bit Calq.

It's most endearing feature is its ability to hot-key formulae like so. (That's Calq's window on the right, blended in with my desktop.)

I've found Calculator + f in the App Store, but it's less elegant and more complicated than I like.

Is anybody aware of an alternative?

Thanks.

In Memory Of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

#53152 - 12/19/19 02:55 AM Re: Calqulator? [Re: artie505]
jchuzi Online

Loc: New York State
This is a shot in the dark: Can you use the built-in Calculator app and specify a keyboard shortcut via System Preferences > Keyboard > App Shortcuts?

OS 10.15.3, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

#53153 - 12/19/19 03:10 AM Re: Calqulator? [Re: jchuzi]
artie505 Online

Thanks for the suggestion, Jon, but shortcuts can be created only for menu bar options.

In Memory Of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

#53155 - 12/19/19 06:12 AM Re: Calqulator? [Re: artie505]
joemikeb Online

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Its not quite the same thing but Devon Technology's Calc Service might serve your needs. I have generally been very happy with their products and their support.

#53157 - 12/19/19 07:32 AM Re: Calqulator? [Re: joemikeb]
artie505 Online

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've seen CalcService come across MacUpdate any number of times, and each time I've considered it and decided that it isn't useful in my context.

#53172 - 12/20/19 08:40 AM Re: Calqulator? [Re: artie505]
Ira L Offline

Loc: California
PCalc allows for user created formulae. Not sure if you can hot-key them; I don't use that feature. A macro utility, if you already have one, could do that for you.

#53184 - 12/20/19 08:59 PM Re: Calqulator? [Re: Ira L]
artie505 Online

Thanks for the suggestion, Ira.

I d/l'ed PCalc many years ago and was put off by the enormity of its GUI...waaay more complex than I wanted to even see, let alone deal with.

Calculator + f (I can't link to it, because it's only in the App Store.) is far more to my liking, and the devs have already coached me in setting up presets.

(A macro utility?)

#53193 - 12/21/19 09:30 AM Re: Calqulator? [Re: artie505]
Ira L Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
(A macro utility?)

Something like the old QuicKeys or the current Keyboard Maestro. They have the ability to assign to a keystroke or two (like "option-L") a series of mouse and/or keyboard "transactions".

#53194 - 12/21/19 09:41 AM Re: Calqulator? [Re: artie505]
Ira L Offline

Thanks for the suggestion, Ira.
Calculator + f (I can't link to it, because it's only in the App Store.) is far more to my liking, and the devs have already coached me in setting up presets.

I looked at it in the App Store and it does seem to be exactly what you are looking for. smile

#53196 - 12/21/19 09:56 AM Re: Calqulator? [Re: Ira L]
artie505 Online

Originally Posted By: Ira L
(A macro utility?)

Something like the old QuicKeys or the current Keyboard Maestro. They have the ability to assign to a keystroke or two (like "option-L") a series of mouse and/or keyboard "transactions".

I suspected you meant that, and I've already got that functionality in Butler, but the need for it suggests that PCalc exports its formulae and that, therefore, each one requires a unique hotkey...ridiculously cumbersome in my instance. (Butler would allow me to put all of them into a single pop-up menu, which, although not as cumbersome, would still entail extra work.)

Calculator + f stores its presets onboard as did Calq.

Yep! Calculator + f looks like my answer. smile It's really a shame that Calq's dev has thrown in the towel; it was a unique, elegant, and highly functional, but simple, app with MANY fans.

Moderator:  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh