FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Annoying badges upper right of screen
#53071 12/11/19 06:25 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I get a lot of these. Used to automatically think fault of Growl, but I think it could all sorts culprits? Current nuisance see distracting me are:
recovery unmounted
ip address update
mac hd @snapp mounted
hollywood reporter
washington post

How do i get rid of all these coming up. Thanks!!

I've tried lot of things, unchecking everything in notifications, nothing works.

Re: Annoying badges upper right of screen
kevs #53072 12/11/19 09:19 PM

In Notifications, have you selected Alert Style "None" for each option that you don't want to see?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #53073 12/11/19 09:21 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Did that for all apps amazingly they still keep coming.

kevs #53074 12/11/19 11:05 PM

I suspect what you are seeing is the Notifications list that is activated when your pointer touches the far right end of the menu bar at the top of your screen. The ones you are seeing are the most recent that have been received and as far as I know will remain there until you acknowledge each of them either by clicking on the little x at the top right of a group of Notifications or by individually dismissing individual notifications. Even if there are no Notifications the window will still appear if your cursor triggers it by touching the far right end of the menu bar.

Sorry my illustration wasn't better but my Notifications list was empty at the moment. Another component of that window is Today the contents of which you can edit at the bottom of that window.

I don't know of any way to deactivate this functionality.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53075 12/12/19 12:52 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

No, Joe, thanks, what I'm seeing are the badges that show up upper right of screen, like you see with Growl or Hardware growl alerts you.

I'm getting tons and I can't seem to get rid of them!

Even growl I can't take anymore, so I quit Growl, yet those still keep coming too!

See screenshot. Look at news, I unchecked everything and still badge comes on the screen for Washington Post.

I even turn Growl off and still get Mac @ snap (what is this?), recovery drive unmounted (no need to get this) etc.

https://postimg.cc/Sj1WgpRG

kevs #53076 12/12/19 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
See screenshot. Look at news, I unchecked everything and still badge comes on the screen for Washington Post.

You said you set all alerts to "None," but News is set for "Banner."

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #53077 12/12/19 01:32 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks ARt, ah.. not even paying attention to those non-intuitive box at the top. Will adjust.

Last edited by kevs; 12/12/19 01:33 AM.
kevs #53078 12/12/19 10:29 PM

Can you post a screenshot with those notifications showing?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53081 12/13/19 12:34 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe did you see the quad screenshot link above? I think Art solved it by pointing out the non-intuitive badge was not slide to none.. so lets see how my luck plays out..

Always work to be left alone by Apple!

PS and GROWL use this? I can't get it to go away, even if I Quit. Maybe need to delete the app? I like hardware growl for seeing when devices are ejected, but Growl is just a beast that wont quit. And why would this mac@snap badge come up 5 times a day, what is this? And recovery drive ejected. Who needs to see this (or even asked to see this).

Sorry, just so many distractions to the eye not ask for..

Last edited by kevs; 12/13/19 12:41 AM.
kevs #53097 12/15/19 04:14 PM

I think Art solved it by pointing out the non-intuitive badge was not slide to none.. so lets see how my luck plays out..

If, as it appears, your problem has been solved by the "None" alert style, it's a good thing you posted your screenshot and let us know that it hadn't been selected; we may have scratched our heads forever otherwise.

Those alert style options are, indeed, non-intuitive, but then again, I find that entire pref pane to be non-intuitive. Apple is quite capable of doing better!

artie505 #53099 12/15/19 10:23 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Issue remains: the mac@ snap; and recovery, generated by Hardware Growl which I like..

kevs #53100 12/15/19 10:53 PM

I've got absolutely no idea what mac@snap is nor can I find anything on Google. (If you post a screenshot of that alert it may ring a bell with somebody.)

I can't offer anything about Growl except to say that Carbon Copy Cloner update alerts pop up no matter what I do. (I'm waiting for a response from Mike Bombich about that.)

kevs #53111 12/16/19 06:44 PM

Issue remains: the mac@ snap; and recovery, generated by Hardware Growl which I like..

As a result of this thread I turned Hardware Growler and Growl back on and since then I have seen occasional Notifications of something like Macsnap:xxxx mounting and almost immediately dismounting. while I haven't accurately captured the notification message it appears to be mounting/creating a snapshot of the APFS volume. Could this explain your mac@snap?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53112 12/16/19 08:19 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, and also recovery drive. These two drive me nuts every day; all day long. I see an ignore / excuse, but not way to the software to navigate to them. Any ideas?

Think is Hardware Growl, not growl on these 2 nuisance badges.

kevs #53114 12/16/19 10:26 PM

There is no direct way to navigate to the snapshots through the GUI that I know of other than in Mike Bombich's Carbon Copy Cloner but snapshots are not navigable volumes per. se. rather they are snapshots of the state of the boot volume at a given point in time and while it is possible to restore the entire boot drive to that state from the snapshot there is no directory structure to provide file access.

You can navigate to the Recovery Drive by:
  1. Shutting down the computer
  2. Rebooting while holding down ⌘R
Why it seems to periodically/randomly mount and unmount is a puzzle to me. I was completely unaware of that behavior until I turned Hardware Growl back on.

NOTE: I quit using Growl and particularly Hardware Growler a good while ago because I was getting way Too Much Information that did not contribute to either my knowledge or the functioning of the computer. I am using it now because of an external Thunderbolt 3 SSD that inexplicably unmounts and mounts that I am attempting to troubleshoot. (Right now I suspect a built in Thunderbolt 3 cable that is too short and too stiff, which is too bad because otherwise the drive's performance is exemplary.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53116 12/17/19 12:07 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, interesting. You misunderstood I think..No interest in getting to snapshops. This may tough to explain via forum but: See ignored drives:

[Screen-Shot-2019-12-16-at-5-03-27-PM.jpg](https://postimg.cc/HrxFhPjh)

I was wondering if one could navigate to ignored or recovery, but alas, my guess is no.

I just bailed on Growl, now maybe bail on Hardware Growl. I've been with Hardware Growl, for 18 years, and Growl for 10. Good point: They force too much crpola on you and no intuitive ways to be free from the slavery.

Typical of our culture: Too much..!

And mediocre support.

kevs #53120 12/17/19 02:59 PM

RECOVERY DRIVE: You can log onto the Recovery Drive as I mentioned previously, but there is no access to it via Finder. It is a hidden partition to protect the contents Drive from damage be it intentional or unintentional. The Recovery Drive does not even appear in Disk Utility, but it is there.⌥

IGNORED DRIVES: Are a Hardware Growler ONLY construct indicating normal drives/partitions/volumes the user has told Hardware Growler to ignore their mounting/dismounting etc. You can navigate to those volumes via Finder just as you would any other volume. To add ignored volumes to that list...
  • click on the plus sign at the bottom of the list
  • From a Finder window drag the volume you wish to ignore and drop it onto the blank where the sursor is located
CATALINA: Something that Hardware growler doesn't account for is in Catalina (MacOS 10.15) the boot drive is separated into two APFS volumes, the System volume and the Data volume. You can see both volumes in Disk Utility, but Finder sees them as a single entity. The system volume is Read Only and contains the system itself. The data volume is where all the things we are used to dealing with including user data, applications, settings, etc.

All of this hiding of volumes as well as the granting of access permission on an app-by-app basis is a necessary concomitant of security in an increasingly risky electronic environment. It might be annoying to some, but if you have ever been a victim it feels more like a warm fluffy security blanket.

By-the-way I am turning Hardware Growler off myself — just too much information.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53128 12/17/19 09:17 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe.
I'm still on Mojave, so did not understand last bit.

Harware Growler: Do you miss feature which shows your flash drive or external was successfully ejected?

This is the reason I got it years ago.

And it great for that.. You really know when it's ejected.

But Recovery and this Mac@snapp things. I have to see all time, and you are saying basically no way turn that stuff off?

And this it type of nuisance which made you bail on hardware growler?

And if I bail how turn it off? you don't have to uninstall it?

Do you agree so sad... people just control what their apps do?

kevs #53129 12/17/19 11:01 PM

Harware Growler: Do you miss feature which shows your flash drive or external was successfully ejected?

That has never been a big question for me and since I installed Ejector that is neither a question nor an issue. Ejector tells me when it has successfully dismounted a drive.

But Recovery and this Mac@snapp things. I have to see all time, and you are saying basically no way turn that stuff off?

The Recovery Drive has been a key part of MacOS for a few years now and snapshots are an integral part of APFS. The mounting/dismounting of snapshots is understandable as they are created and deleted periodically and I can theoretically see how that could be related to the mounting/unmounting of the Recovery Drive. In any case neither is likely to go away any time soon. The only solution I could envision would be a new feature in Hardware Growler that would allow snapshots and the Recovery Drive to be ignored.

And this it type of nuisance which made you bail on hardware growler?

I had turned Growl and Hardware Growler before because it provided so much information that it made it too easy to miss a real problem and in fact other than revealing the interesting(?) factoids about snapshots and the Recovery drive it has not really contributed anything of dramatic significance to me. That is not to say it isn't informative in specific circumstances and certainly individual users might find all the data useful/interesting.

Originally Posted By: keys
And if I bail how turn it off? you don't have to uninstall it?

As to turning it off vs. uninstalling it is your choice. I got both from the App Store so both are rigorously sandboxed which means they don't install lots of detritus throughout the system. Simply deactivating startup at launch and then quitting both should have no untoward effect other than leaving unused code taking up disk space and the remote possibility of creating unexpected issues at some point in the future.

Reinstalling was simply a matter of clicking the download icon in the App Store and because I had previously purchased the products there was no charge. I did have to reconfigure my settings however, but that was not particularly onerous a task.

Do you agree so sad... people just control what their apps do?

I am entirely sure what you mean by that. As our systems become more powerful and we rely on them for more critical tasks the level of complexity increases non-linearly. Add to that the all too human tendency to get something for nothing by taking advantage of vulnerabilities in our systems and all too soon we exceed the ability of even the most sophisticated user to provide adequate protection much less the ability of the average user who is often unsure of even what a computer is. Apple has so far done a good job of protecting the user but that inevitably comes at the expense of some loss of control — especially at the GUI level. It is tempting to say none of this would be necessary were it not for human nature, but I am not sanguine about even that.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53131 12/18/19 02:10 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, is this ejector?

https://ejector.app/

You recommend it? How did hear about it and why get it?

kevs #53132 12/18/19 09:43 AM

Ejector is a 64-bit replacement for its predecessor, which was 32-bit. I suggest that you try it before buying. I made the mistake of paying immediately because I thought that it would behave exactly as before, but there are some significant differences (at least for me).

The older version installed a menulet at the upper right of the menu bar. Clicking it showed all removable disks and it was easy to select one and eject it.

The new version does not have the menulet and I ended up keeping its icon in the dock, for easy access. It automatically installs itself in Login Items and you can access it by pressing the ⏏︎ key. The interface is not as good as before and the Ejector window does not disappear after ejecting, as previously. You have to click the red close button, but the app stays open. Sometimes, when restarting or shutting down, an Ejector window shows up that asks if you want to quit Ejector before restarting. Unfortunately, in the restart cycle, there is no longer a cursor so you can't click any of its buttons. The good news is that, if you wait a few seconds, the computer will restart or shut down anyway. The only way to actually quit Ejector is to click the Action icon in its window.

You can also use the Eject menulet supplied by Apple. In Finder, use the Go > Go To Folder and type, or better still, paste /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras and then press Return. Double-click Eject.menu and an Eject menulet will appear at the upper right. If you click that, it will show removal disks, but it does not work for external drives (in my experience). You will be able to use it for .dmg files. If you don't want to keep it, Command-drag it to the desktop.

Bottom line: Try before you buy.

Last edited by jchuzi; 12/18/19 10:53 AM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
kevs #53138 12/18/19 01:59 PM

Thanks Joe, is this ejector?

https://ejector.app/

You recommend it? How did hear about it and why get it?

• Yes that is the one.
  • It is not on my list of essential apps, but it is proving to be useful.
  • JChusi mentioned the name and I did a DuckDuckGo search to find it
I had never come across it before so I have nothing to compare it with. It does do some things that Apple's eject menu cannot such as showing and ejecting external volumes including server volumes, external drives, and snapshot volumes (although I don't know why I would want to eject a snapshot volume). I like the fact that it opens from the eject key and does not add additional clutter to the menu bar or Dock. As Jon mentioned it acts strangely when shutting down but maybe that can be fixed in a subsequent release.

Will I keep it? The jury is still out on that.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53139 12/18/19 03:56 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks guys, I think I"m going to pass on it. All I really want is to know that when I eject and external drive... is it truly ejected after 3 seconds or 12 seconds.

If you remove you flash drive or external too early, then sign comes up saying you have have damaged your drive.

Hardware Growl was perfect. But then I get 10 badges a day on recovey unmounted and mac@snap etc... Nuisance.. If there is a one trick pony that only does this- let me know!

These apps now have Mission creep -- they keep expanding too much, but I understand; they want to add and make money.. So how do I know when drive is truly ejected?

kevs #53141 12/18/19 04:37 PM

If you remove you flash drive or external too early, then sign comes up saying you have have damaged your drive.

Just to be clear the warning is the data on the drive MAY have been damaged not that it has been damaged. The danger occurs when and external storage drive is removed while a write operation is in progress which MAY result in the file being written or the file directory on the device being in an indeterminate state. The window of opportunity for this damage to occur is relatively narrow so the risk is relatively low.

The length of time required for a device dismount is a function of the size of any pending write operation, the write speed of the storage device, and its connection to the computer so there is no one set time.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #53144 12/18/19 06:47 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, I'll keep that info.

I'm not doing anything with flash or external, when I eject, so always puzzled when see this. And in fact, I don't think I have ever seen any damage. I'm bailing on hardware growl, so I'll never get that verification unmounted, but I'll just wait 5-6 seconds and not worry.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard