Next Thread
Print Thread
A dkmarsh cookie?
#5225 10/23/09 05:52 AM
OP Online

What's that all about? confused

Name: mmr
Path: /dkmarsh

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: A dkmarsh cookie?
artie505 #5228 10/23/09 11:31 AM

I have it too. I'm guessing it's a result of my avatar having been hosted on my mac.com site. (IIRC, mods and admins could, at one point anyway, avail themselves of the remotely-hosted avatar option, so that must've been what I did.)

I've since uploaded the image to FTM, so if my hunch is correct, the cookie shouldn't reappear.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #5247 10/23/09 10:16 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

I have it too. I'm guessing it's a result of my avatar having been hosted on my mac.com site. (IIRC, mods and admins could, at one point anyway, avail themselves of the remotely-hosted avatar option, so that must've been what I did.)

I've since uploaded the image to FTM, so if my hunch is correct, the cookie shouldn't reappear.

So far, so good, but I have no idea under what circumstances the cookie turned up, so I'll give it a while.

(I was worried for a sec...thought you might be looking out through my iSight. grin)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #5257 10/24/09 01:40 AM

For a few seconds, I thought that dkmarsh had a baked goods breakthrough!

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
dkmarsh #5258 10/24/09 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Yep, right you are. It's the path to the remotely loaded avatar.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #5262 10/24/09 05:30 AM

I have no sign of the cookie here. My cookie setting is "Only from sites I visit" so maybe that has something to do it with it, otherwise you guys have the cookie for another reason than his avatar.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Kevin M. Dean #5265 10/24/09 08:22 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Kevin M. Dean
I have no sign of the cookie here. My cookie setting is "Only from sites I visit" so maybe that has something to do it with it, otherwise you guys have the cookie for another reason than his avatar.

I've got my Safari cookie prefs set the same way, but, as I said, the issue has apparently been taken care of.

artie505 #5302 10/25/09 02:19 PM

Right, but wouldn't I have the cookie from before it was taken care of or was it set to quickly expire? Doesn't really matter at this point, but just was trying to supply as much info as possible.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Kevin M. Dean #5305 10/25/09 05:58 PM
OP Online

Right, but wouldn't I have the cookie from before it was taken care of or was it set to quickly expire? Doesn't really matter at this point, but just was trying to supply as much info as possible.

I didn't mean to blow you off, Kevin; your contribution to the discussion is appreciated.

I don't remember when the dkmarsh cookie expired, and I never determined precisely when it turned up or from where it came, so I can't be helpful in those respects.

Also, I found a second .Mac type cookie after posting, again, no specifics, but the name was one I didn't recognize at all.

dk... I think we all started out with remote avater hosting, so is it possible that some members are still using it?

And, if so, why has it taken so long for the cookies to turn up? (Rhetorical)

Kevin M. Dean #5340 10/26/09 06:09 PM

I'm not entirely clear on how the cookie functionality from .mac works, but it's quite possible that if you visit a .mac site independent of visiting FTM, and then visit FTM during the same browser session and see a post by a person with a remote avatar loading from .mac, you'll see the cookie appear. (I could test this hypothesis but I'm feeling a bit lazy at the moment.)

Remote avatar loading is still enabled on some accounts; I'm using it, and I think a handful of other folks are too. If the remote site sets a cookie, then you'll see that cookie if Safari is set to accept cookies from all sites, or (I believe) if you've visited the site in question during the same browser session.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #5535 11/02/09 11:03 AM
OP Online

The other .mac cookie I mentioned turned up again just now... lpbuckley, a/k/a MacManiac.

As a test, I deleted the cookie and then visited this thread, in which MM's avatar appears, and the cookie reappeared.

artie505 #5537 11/02/09 02:35 PM

I go to that thread and I don't get a new lpbuckley cookie.

artie505 #5539 11/02/09 06:35 PM

If it's any help with bringing clarity to the issue, my avatar lives on my iDisk (so that's the origin of the .mac cookie, I'm guessing).

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
Kevin M. Dean #5547 11/03/09 12:02 AM
OP Online

Strange... We both have the same cookie setting, i.e. "Accept cookies: Only from sites you navigate to." (Just tried again to be certain, and... Yup!)

Are you running PithHelmet or some-such?

'Tis a puzzlement! confused

artie505 #5550 11/03/09 07:09 AM

Only ClicktoFlash and Safari AdBlock. Of course now I'm seeing the cookie, so who knows? I do use Webkit rather than the regular Safari so there could always be something there.... or maybe I just overlooked it before when I checked.

artie505 #5578 11/05/09 08:24 AM
OP Online

And another one...from t_ogihara, developer of ToyViewer, which turned up when I visited hir website.

Oh, well... I assume these cookies are no more than a benign nuisance, so I'll just live with them.

Looking deeper into the issue, though... I did not change any of my Safari settings or add any plugins concurrent with the appearance of these cookies, so I'll guess that something changed at .Mac; does anybody have a clue what that might be? (I look at my cookies neurotically often, so there's no question about precisely when the .Mac items began turning up.)

Edit: I just remembered that I've overlooked posting that I get cookies from YouTube any time I visit a thread that includes a video, regardless of whether or not I play it.

Last edited by artie505; 11/05/09 10:21 AM.

artie505 #5675 11/08/09 06:18 AM
OP Online

Further...

I understand the general functionality of cookies, but what purpose do those in question in this thread serve?

Who is collecting what information, and to what end?

artie505 #5713 11/09/09 11:35 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted By: artie505
And another one...from t_ogihara, developer of ToyViewer, which turned up when I visited hir website.

You visited a site and the site set a cookie...sounds normal to me, in keeping with your Safari settings and unrelated to FTM or this thread.

I just remembered that I've overlooked posting that I get cookies from YouTube any time I visit a thread that includes a video, regardless of whether or not I play it.

My cookie knowledge is minimal so I can't offer any definitive info. Apparently though, avatars hosted on mac.com sites and YouTube videos embedded in posts make calls to the respective sites and for some reason those calls aren't perceived as being to other sites. The latter strikes me as odd, but FWIW the behavior isn't limited to Safari or UBBT. For instance, I have Camino configured to "Accept cookies only from sites I visit" and "Ask me before accepting each cookie" and sometimes when Googling I get the such-and-such wants to set a cookie dialog for a site that's in the search results.

I understand the general functionality of cookies, but what purpose do those in question in this thread serve?

Who is collecting what information, and to what end?

Any collecting is being done by the site that sets the cookie. In some cases the name of a cookie gives a clue to its purpose but what info mac.com or YouTube are tracking I don't know.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #5743 11/11/09 09:15 AM
OP Online

Quote:

You visited a site and the site set a cookie...sounds normal to me, in keeping with your Safari settings and unrelated to FTM or this thread.

The site I visited did not set the cookie, .mac set it.

Quote:
[...] FWIW the behavior isn't limited to Safari or UBBT. For instance, I have Camino configured to "Accept cookies only from sites I visit" and "Ask me before accepting each cookie" and sometimes when Googling I get the such-and-such wants to set a cookie dialog for a site that's in the search results.

Have you experienced this behavior on an ongoing basis, or is it new?

My .mac cookies are, with one nasty exception, the only cookies I've ever seen on my deuced Mac(hina) that came from a site other than the one I was visiting, and they were non-existent (in my experience, anyhow) before I first posted.

artie505 #5753 11/11/09 03:06 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

[snip]

The site I visited did not set the cookie, .mac set it.

Apparently I misunderstood what you meant by "hir website." What's the URL of the site you visited?

Have you experienced this behavior on an ongoing basis, or is it new?

My experience with Google and what I consider third-party cookies isn't new.

My .mac cookies are, with one nasty exception, the only cookies I've ever seen on my deuced Mac(hina) that came from a site other than the one I was visiting

Unless this is the nasty exception, there's also the YouTube cookies you get when visiting a thread with an embedded YouTube video.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #5768 11/12/09 06:30 AM
OP Online

> The site I visited did not set the cookie, .mac set it.

Reality check... The site is a .homepage.mac site, and it sets the exact same cookies as are set by the avatars on FTM, although I'd have guessed that they'd be more "intrusive."

> Unless this is the nasty exception, there's also the YouTube cookies you get when visiting a thread with an embedded YouTube video.

Nope... The exception is extraneous to this thread (unless somebody posts hir interest).

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard