An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21
Re: The thread formerly known as: Maybe 45 ...
grelber #51086 02/08/19 03:25 PM

Come on Grelber, tell us what you REALLY think of the Trump! laugh

FWIW, I generally agree withy you but there are several areas where Trump deserves recognition and acclaim for his unique accomplishments:
  • He has the lowest approval rating of any President since approval ratings have been measured
  • By his own words he is "The King of Borrowers".
  • He is the "King of Bankruptcy'
  • He is a salesman's salesman.
  • He is wildly successful at financing a lavish living style from businesses that operate almost exclusively in the red.
  • His is an extortionist nonpariel when dealing with smaller businesses.
  • He is as con man's con man.
  • He is adept at dealing with corrupt organizations.
  • In spite of his television persona he is a coward
  • He has raised nepotism to new heights
  • He has the highest number and rate of Pinochio's of any past or present politician
  • the list goes on — and on — and on.
So rather than denigrate his actions, I say we should carefully document and highlight his multitudinous accomplishments dubious though they may be.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
grelber #51102 02/15/19 09:17 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Time to get on with it ...

McCabe Says Justice Dept Officials Had Discussions About Pushing Trump Out

The former deputy FBI director, in a “60 Minutes” interview that will air fully on Sunday, said top department officials had considered recruiting cabinet members to invoke the 25th Amendment.

Release the lions!

grelber #51109 02/17/19 08:24 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Someone on Quora asked, “Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?”
Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England wrote this magnificent response.

“Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?”

Pretty much reflects the majority of comments in this forum.

Aside: The Russian transliteration of Trump's name is Трамп which transliterates back into English as "tramp" ... which raises the ancillary question of why one would denigrate beggars, vagrants, or Charlie Chaplin, for that matter.

grelber #51110 02/17/19 03:28 PM

"You don’t need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man." shocked

That pretty much sums it up. frown

Very nicely done! grin

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #51111 02/17/19 04:44 PM

A female Trump supporter was being interviewed by Louis Theroux. When asked about Trump's flaws, she said, "Yeah, he's an #$!&, but he's our #$!&."

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #51112 02/18/19 03:03 PM

When my brother worked in Washington, he told me that threatening any federal official was against the law, whether you are doing it in print or speech, in jest or not. I discourage everyone from engaging in this kind of thing, for many reasons, regardless of one's political views.

deniro #51113 02/18/19 06:08 PM

Good point, but I think they'll be going after Saturday Night Live first.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
deniro #51114 02/18/19 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
When my brother worked in Washington, he told me that threatening any federal official was against the law, whether you are doing it in print or speech, in jest or not.

Define "threatening a federal official". I have to assume that a threat would mean some specified action to bring physical harm, which is quite different from exercising one's freedom of speech rights to voice an opinion.

Last edited by ryck; 02/18/19 08:16 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #51115 02/18/19 09:55 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Maybe he'll be coming home from Hanoi in a casket ... attached to the head of an ICBM ... or so one might fervently hope.

Ooh, shades of Dr Strangelove ...

ryck #51116 02/19/19 01:33 PM

I don't like to argue subjects like this on a tech forum, but freedom of any kind isn't absolute. There are always limits. Obviously there are things you can't say and shouldn't say. As adults at least we should think more about responsibilities than rights, about how we ought to act responsibly and decently, rather than try to do whatever we can get away with.

In his 20s, my brother worked for a senator. He had to answer letters from people. If a person threatened the senator, if he wished him harm in any way, that's a federal crime. You can easily wind up on some list. As it should be. Threats of violence do occur in the lives of elected officials and sometimes actual violence. Presidents are shot at and killed. In recent years a senator from Kentucky was assaulted by his next door neighbor, a doctor, simply because the man disagreed with is opinions. The senator was hospitalized. This is primitive and barbaric. There's something sick and pathetic about people who can't disagree with each other in a civil way.

Wishing any person were dead or harmed is immature and unethical. No good comes from it, and possibly a lot of bad can come from it. It's not cute or funny or amusing or helpful.

It's not the kind of thought I have had often in my life. I can't think of a politician, or anyone, that I have agreed with all the time about everything. But that doesn't mean I want something bad to happen to them.

deniro #51117 02/19/19 01:40 PM

This behavior is especially common among those who consider themselves good, compassionate people. Which ought to make all of us stop and think.

deniro #51118 02/19/19 03:35 PM

I don't like to argue subjects like this on a tech forum…..

I’d say this is a perfectly acceptable topic for The Lounge. Going back many years, to when FineTunedMac was MacFixit, The Lounge has always been designated as the forum for discussion of any non-technical issue.

If a person threatened the senator, if he wished him harm in any way, that's a federal crime.

I don’t know American law but I assume that the same principle (a threat is a crime) applies, whether or not a person is a politician.

That’s how it works in Canada. If you came up to me and threatened to punch me in the face, and I believed you would do it, I have been assaulted and you could be charged. And I agree with the principle. Any citizen has a right to live without intimidation.

However, I don’t recall any threats like that in this thread. Even the unfortunate (IMHO) title of the thread, “Maybe 45 needs to end it all with a .45”, isn’t a threat. It’s an opinion and opinions are okay, as is the right to disagree with them.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
deniro #51119 02/19/19 03:51 PM

This behavior is especially common among those who consider themselves good, compassionate people. Which ought to make all of us stop and think.

In the absence of verifiable data, I have trouble with the "especially common" conclusion. It makes me think about Donald Trump's dubious pronouncements about the people in the torch-carrying procession at Charlottesville:

“But not all of those people were neo-Nazis, believe me….”

“You had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists,”

“The press has treated them absolutely unfairly.”

“You also had some very fine people on both sides,”

Last edited by ryck; 02/19/19 03:52 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #51120 02/19/19 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck

In the absence of verifiable data, I have trouble with the "especially common" conclusion. It makes me think about Donald Trump's dubious pronouncements about the people in the torch-carrying procession at Charlottesville:

“But not all of those people were neo-Nazis, believe me….”

“You had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists,”

“The press has treated them absolutely unfairly.”

“You also had some very fine people on both sides,”

But in reference to the title of this thread, even Donald Trump was aware of the gravity of presidential threats. When the Dow Jones dropped a little over 1000 points one day during Obama's tenure, Trump-the-citizen said that "anyone who is president when the market drops a thousand points should be shot…out of a cannon."

He knew, or was told, that if he stopped at "shot", he could be subject to investigation or arrest for threatening the President. So the title of this thread, while a clever number play, may just be…

Of course, during his reign #45 has seen two daily drops of over 1000 points. So where is that cannon? crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #51121 02/19/19 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Of course, during his reign #45 has seen two daily drops of over 1000 points. So where is that cannon? crazy

No disagreement here. laugh

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Ira L #51122 02/19/19 05:22 PM

So the title of this thread, while a clever number play, may just be…

But the title of this thread is merely A SUGGESTION THAT HE OFF HIMSELF...not even a vaguely implied threat.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Ira L #51123 02/19/19 05:24 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

... So the title of this thread, while a clever number play, may just be ...

The title explicitly relates (grammatically) to suicide ... as a grand exit, maybe even as a tweet.

Rats! Artie beat me to it by 2 minutes.

grelber #51127 02/20/19 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
The title explicitly relates (grammatically) to suicide ... as a grand exit, maybe even as a tweet.[/i]

Maybe it won't be necessary. What kind of brain tumour could a person get from malignant narcissism?

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #51236 03/02/19 04:49 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Stroke risk = handicap (but not for golf):

According to a recent study, More Evidence Ties Diet Drinks to Greater Stroke Risk, drinking two or more artificially sweetened beverages (such as Diet Coke) per day was associated with a greater overall risk for fatal and nonfatal stroke.

It's also been reported that the Трамп consumes 12 cans of Diet Coke per day (just 2 cans shy of the recommended dietary limit).

So, hope springs eternal.

Aside: Cool new Abby Roade avatar, ryck; downright elegant (although the puppy one was beyond cute).

grelber #51237 03/02/19 05:11 PM

...drinking two or more artificially sweetened beverages (such as Diet Coke) per day was associated with a greater overall risk for fatal and nonfatal stroke.

It's also been reported that the Трамп consumes 12 cans of Diet Coke per day (just 2 cans shy of the recommended dietary limit). (Emphasis added)

Huh?

What am I missing?

artie505 #51238 03/02/19 05:46 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

That "two or more ... beverages" refers to standard cans (each 12 fl.oz = 355 mL). Ergo, he drinks at least 6x that.
14 cans would be the dietary limit.

grelber #51242 03/02/19 10:09 PM

That "two or more ... beverages" refers to standard cans (each 12 fl.oz = 355 mL). Ergo, he drinks at least 6x that.

Yeah, I got that part.

But from where does that "dietary limit" come?

artie505 #51243 03/03/19 08:25 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505

But from where does that "dietary limit" come?

It was reported this past week on a Canadian radio program, Under the Influence with Terry O'Reilly, CBC Radio One.
The podcast can be found at https://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence.

grelber #51244 03/03/19 08:43 AM

Aaah... The missing link.

I"m astonished by that 14 can limit; it seems enormous...far more than I'd have ever guessed would be an acceptable amount.

Makes me feel better abut the 24 cans of Pepsi/day I downed at one time; at least they contained real sugar. tongue

More: I heard the other day that he weighed in at 243# at his annual physical...just north of his obesity benchmark; he needs to drink more of that diet crap.

artie505 #51246 03/03/19 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
....he needs to drink more of that diet crap.

Actually, Coke would like him to stop.

In the radio program, which is well worth an ear-check, this episode pointed out that Coke has been trying to gain appeal in a younger demographic but President Bonespur is defeating their objective. Every time he says something about the amount of Diet Coke he drinks, the image of the Diet Coke consumer becomes a person who is old and overweight.

When the Orange Aerie-in-Chief heard about Coke's concern, he quite predictably tweeted something along the lines of, 'I understand that Coke's not happy with me. That's okay. I'll keep drinking their garbage anyway'.

PS: I was happy to hear about the 243 pounds, although I would have guessed higher. With that much excess weight, and the amount of junk food he wolfs down, can a major cardio infarction be far behind? We can only hope.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard