An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Iphone Map, way to see alternate routes?
#52860 11/13/19 03:59 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Is there a way to see alternate routes on iphone? I can see and judge options on desktop. Never been able to figure out with iphone.

Re: Iphone Map, way to see alternate routes?
kevs #52863 11/13/19 04:56 PM

On the iPhone Maps will present alternate routes if they are reasonably close in time to the primary one that is shown. If only one route is offered, it is my experience that all the others are not feasible "in the mind of Maps". grin

Having said this, you can possibly force the app to show you more options by changing the settings (Settings>Maps>Driving & Navigation) to avoid tolls and/or highways.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #52864 11/13/19 06:16 PM

Just to emphasize Ira's comment. There is a destination I travel to frequently that is roughly an hour away. There are three obvious and common routes to that destination that are in optimum conditions within minutes of one another. Normally all three show up on my iPhone and I have the option to choose among them. Some times only one or two of the three will appear because of traffic conditions. One time only one route was offered at it was not one of the common three but an entirely different route that at one point had me driving in the opposite direction. I later found there was a construction blockage at a point common to the "normal" options so I had to go the long way around to avoid an extra hour of travel.

By-the-way the avoid tolls and/or highways option can result in some "interesting" routes. I use that when traveling long distances in our camper.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52865 11/13/19 08:13 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks guys, I do have avoid tolls selected for awhile now.

That said, I have never see a dropdown or anything with any other routes than the one that comes up. That's why I'm posting.

Where seeing this? Google maps iphone, search, then click start and thats it, no options, just the voice come on and you are off to the races.

With Google maps desktop, I immediately see 2-3 routes on the left with little car icons. And on right see lines with option routes, you can drag etc.. With iphone nothing. What did I miss to get this?

kevs #52866 11/13/19 10:17 PM

This is a screenshot of my iPhone screen using Apple Maps in iOS 13.1 showing the routes to a destination on the other side of the DFW metroplex. My settings are:
  • AVOID
    • Tolls Off
    • Highways Off
  • SHOW IN NAVIGATION
    • Compass On
    • Speed Limit On
  • NAVIGATION VOICE VOLUME
    • Normal Volume
  • PAUSE SPOKEN AUDIO
    • On
  • SHARE ETA
    • On

Tonight or tomorrow morning during rush hour one or more of these routes may not appear and/or another route altogether may appear depending on traffic and estimated driving time for each of the routes.

If I turned On the option to avoid tolls the routing options change to this. At this scale it is difficult to tell but as an experienced driver in the area I can assure you the routes are very different.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52867 11/14/19 01:09 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, ok you have options, crowded, not elegant as online desktop Google maps, but I don't even have that: and my settings are mostly the same:

https://i.postimg.cc/cL7Npz7p/IMG-6795.png

Last edited by kevs; 11/14/19 01:20 AM.
kevs #52870 11/14/19 04:46 PM

The span of the route dictates how crowded the alternate routes will be in display. Give them more space and they are not as scrunched. Also, both joemikeb and I responded based on Apple Maps, while you now say you are using Google Maps, so your results may vary.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #52871 11/14/19 04:51 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Ira, yeah, Google Maps, but either never seen options on iphone I only see one option. That's it. See screenshot? No alternatives.

At home Lot of options.

kevs #52873 11/14/19 05:11 PM

Based on your screenshot you are not seeing any route much less alternate routes because you have not yet clicked Directions.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52874 11/14/19 05:21 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe! Yes I never hit that, as I'm in car and just do stsrt. Now I know! I think good now. Not as nice ads desktop, but 27" screen vs little phone ok...

kevs #52876 11/14/19 06:44 PM

Both of my vehicles are equipped to handle Car Play so I connect my iPhone via USB and use the display and audio on my vehicle's Info System. Between the larger screen and my Apple Watch tapping me on the wrist to alert me to upcoming maneuvers I seldom manage to go astray. cool

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard