FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Caches - are they a security issue?
#52855 11/11/19 03:41 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

I note that when I visit any website there will be a multitude of caches on my drive that are not at all related to the site. For example, a visit to techgenix.com resulted in more than 20 caches, all of which ended in .com, .net, .ca, et cetera. They included caches with names such as Facebook, Google, Amazon.

These caches are cleared by Cookie when I close Safari but I wonder what they might be doing in the meantime. Do they have the ability to continue tracking internet activities and sending that information to an unauthorized recipient?

I am wondering if I should have Cookie clear all non-favourite websites cookies and caches more often than just when I close Safari.

For what it’s worth, the caches installed after the visit to TechGen included:

2mdn.net
adroll.com
adzerk.net
ajax.googleapis.com
amazon-adsystem.com
amproject.org
bestbuy.ca
cloudfare.com
criteo.com
doubleclick.net
ezoic.net
facebook.com
facebook.net
fonts.googleapis.com
google-analytics.com
google.com
googlesyndication.com
googletagmanager.com
googletagservices.com
gravatar.com
gstatic.com
isoftmarketing.com
onesignal.com
opmnstr.com
os.tc
petametrics.com
sndcdn.com
soundcloud.com
typekit.net
zkcdn.net

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Caches - are they a security issue?
ryck #52856 11/11/19 04:00 PM

Those caches contain data that has been stored from those various sources because they were accessed from the site you were on or by advertising banners, sidebars, etc. on that site. The idea being to make the page load faster if you reload or go back to it. Some of them are probably from tracking cookies as well. Deleting those caches while you were on the page can make your experience much slower and can make some sites very nearly Impossible to use.

When to delete cookies and caches is a matter of personal tolerance. I rely on WIPR to block the outgoing information and then let Cookie get rid of the detritus at the end of the session. Others around here take a far more stringent approach and I am sure they will speak for themselves.

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/11/19 04:04 PM. Reason: Dictation versus spellcheck

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Caches - are they a security issue?
ryck #52857 11/11/19 05:13 PM

Quote:
I am wondering if I should have Cookie clear all non-favourite websites cookies and caches more often than just when I close Safari.

Cookie only purports to be able to clear cache and history while Safari is open; it cannot actually do so. It can clear them only at quitting time. Both, however, can be cleared from within Safari at any time.

I've been on Russell's case for, literally, years to get him to remove the "functionality," but he seems to have a mental block when it comes to deleting code that he's written into the app, and, as a matter of fact, I've just about reached the point at which I"m ready to blow my excellent 10 year working relationship with him by posting that and another matter on MacUpdate.

On the other hand, I have Cookie set to clear non-favorite and tracking cookies every few minutes, and I've never noticed any meaningful slowdowns, although that could be a function of my limited browsing/surfing and the sites I visit; the only downside that's ever whacked me across the face is having "mysteriously" lost a few shopping carts, but that happens only occasionally, not regularly.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard