for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ad blocking question
#52795 11/02/19 09:43 AM
OP Online

My beloved, vintage AdBlock Safari extension will go belly up in favor of the new version when I upgrade to Catalina, and I"m wondering if anybody knows of another app/extension that replicates its ability to block ANY html element in a web page, e.g. the FTM masthead, which is not included in the new version.

The functionality still exists in AdBlock's Firefox version, but I'd rather endure the lost functionality than deal with Firefox.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Ad blocking question
artie505 #52796 11/02/19 10:27 AM

I have no experience with this, but take a look: 1Blocker

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #52799 11/02/19 02:34 PM

I used 1 Blocker until recently and it worked for me although I don't know if it would meet your demanding requirements. On a recommendation I switched to Wipr and it has served me well, but my preference is more along the set it and forget it mode.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #52806 11/03/19 08:57 AM
OP Online

Thanks, Jon.

I took a look, and 1Blocker doesn't offer the functionality I'm looking for.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #52807 11/03/19 09:14 AM
OP Online

Thanks for the suggestion, but Wipr specifically doesn't offer the functionality I'm looking for.

Originally Posted By: Wipr FAQ
• Will You Add a Feature That Lets Me Add Custom Filters/Block Page Elements?

No — when I say Wipr has no configuration, I mean it smile

More likely (yet very unlikely) is that I release a separate app that only does custom blocking.

Note that you’re free to use any number of Content Blockers simultaneously, so you can use Wipr and have another app/extension for your custom rules.

As for why, I don’t think this feature would improve the product, even for the nerdiest of nerds. The pain of managing your custom filters would almost certainly outweigh their benefit. I speak from personal experience!

Not to mention that only a tiny fraction of users will ever use such a feature. I mean, I created a Content Blocker and I barely understand regular expressions.

I don't know about his personal experience or why he thinks that so few users would appreciate the functionality, but as far as I"m concerned, real estate is real estate, distractions are distractions, and the time/effort investment is minimal relative to its return.

artie505 #52809 11/03/19 09:48 AM

Remind me again: Why isn't uBlock Origin your cuppa tea?
(I haven't used Adblock Plus since I switched to uBlock Origin.)

grelber #52810 11/03/19 09:56 AM
OP Online

Although you've mentioned it before, I never looked at uBlock Origin 'til just now.

Unfortunately, although it does replicate the AdBlock functionality I'm going to lose, it's a "legacy" extension, all of which have been upgraded out of existence by Safari 13, so, like AdBlock, it will be useless to me going forward.

We crossed in the mail: Safari AdBlock is not the same as Adblock Plus.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard