FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Now have to open latptop to wake up
#52486 09/20/19 05:46 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

New nuisance post Mojave, : I now have to open lid of laptop to wake up from sleep. This is laptop acting as a computer, with aftermarket display and new apple magic keyboard, to watch tV. Pre Mojave, I would just tap the keyboard and it would wake up Thanks!

Re: Now have to open latptop to wake up
kevs #52493 09/20/19 08:10 PM

Since I upgraded to Mojave I've had to tap my trackpad TWICE to get my MBP to wake from sleep, so you may need to do the same with your laptop's keyboard.

Correction: No, that's incorrect. As always, tapping once wakes my MBP from sleep, but I now have to tap twice to get rid of my screensaver.

Last edited by artie505; 09/21/19 12:31 AM. Reason: Correction

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #52494 09/20/19 08:21 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

And before Mojave?

artie505 #52497 09/20/19 11:44 PM

With a wireless keyboard or keypad or mouse I have found that two key actions are sometimes necessary.
  1. apparently wakes up the bluetooth connection
  2. the actual command or action that is recognized
I have sometimes noticed this appears to change with a new MacOS update.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52498 09/21/19 02:39 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, what did that mean, it went over my head?

But you are saying the culprit is the new wireless magic keyboard.

For years, I would click any key on white old keyboard and laptop awakens from sleep. Now, I have to open the laptop lid.

You are saying the next big os post Mojave will get behavior back to before? Nothing I can do now?

kevs #52503 09/21/19 12:11 PM

The culprit is NOT the magic keyboard it is BlueTooth and the design of the code. There is nothing you can do right now. Whether it will be fixed in MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) or not I cannot tell. To be honest I don't really notice the problem one way or the other, but IIRC it has come and gone in various releases of the betas. At the moment it is gone, but until the Golden Master is released we won't know exactly what changes will be in it.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52505 09/21/19 10:06 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, I get the gist there. Have no idea what IIRC or Golden Master means.

Guessing: Now that I have a bluetooth and not corded keyboard, you are saying when I click the keyboard to awaken the laptop it does not work. (opening the lid does -- total nuisance)

This is culprit?

kevs #52506 09/22/19 05:56 PM

You have the idea. I have my laptop open, but when I boot it up in the morning and it prompts for the password, I have to hit a key, any key, on my wireless keyboard before I type the password or the first letter of the password gets lost. It is the same phenomenon.

My apologies for the use of jargon:
  • IIRC zIf I Recall Correctly
  • Golden Master The version of a software product that will actually be released to the public.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52507 09/23/19 12:02 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

ok Joe thanks.
Darn, Is Apple aware of this you think, that wireless keyboard bring nuisance issue that the corded one did not?

joemikeb #52508 09/23/19 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
  • IIRC zIf I Recall Correctly

zlf?

Years ago a read a piece in which it was postulated that when aliens come to pick through our ruins they'll have a difficult time with language because of acronyms.

That problem has probably multiplied exponentially with the advent of computers, and even more-so with texting!

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #52509 09/23/19 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Years ago a read a piece in which it was postulated that when aliens come to pick through our ruins they'll have a difficult time with language because of acronyms.

That problem has probably multiplied exponentially with the advent of computers, and even more-so with texting!

When I worked at Texas Instruments we had a published manual of acronyms that as I recall was well over 300 pages in length. The same acronym might be used in multiple divisions and/or disciplines but with a totally different and unrelated meaning in each it might be used in multiple contexts within the same major project again with totally different or even worse somewhat similar meanings. There also might be multiple acronyms for the same identical "thing".

As a Software Design Engineer working in a training branch I once fought with a PhD educator for several months to convince him the documented Software Requirements Analysis process was procedurally identical to the Training Needs Assessment process he was writing. The only significant difference being one process description used software engineering jargon and the other used education jargon. (He was finally convinced but never forgave me because I had reduced his planned two year project to less than two weeks worth of copy and paste.)

I am convinced some level of mis-understanding is inevitable in any inter-disciplinary discussion and the deeper you get into the disciplines the more frequent and greater the level of mis-communication.

Quote:
zlf? = IF typed in a hurry and hitting SUBMIT before a thorough proofreading. 🤦🏻‍♂️

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52510 09/23/19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
(He was finally convinced but never forgave me because I had reduced his planned two year project to less than two weeks worth of copy and paste.)

grin      At least you left him with a job.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard