Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
accessing email
#52414 09/10/19 11:16 AM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

OS 10.12.6

My son and I are going on a trip to Maine for a few days and I need to know how to access my emails from his iPad.

I would appreciate a very simple and detailed answer.

jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
Re: accessing email
jaybass #52415 09/10/19 01:39 PM

There are multiple options.
  1. If your email provider has an internet mail portal you cn simply log on to that portal using Safari on the iPad. (iCloud, Microsoft Exchange, Google, Yahoo, AOL, or Outlook all offer internet mail portals)
  2. If not you will have to configure Mail on your son's iPad to access your email account as well as his. NOTE: both of your emails will appear in the same Inbox and you will need to manually choose which account to send email with. To set that up:
    1. Go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts
    2. Under Accounts touch Add Account
    3. Select tha kind of account
    4. If your account is iCloud, Microsoft Exchange, Google, Yahoo, AOL, or Outlook all you will need is your Userid and Password.
    5. If your account is other you will also need to know
      1. Is the account IMAP or POP
      2. the name of the IMAP or POP server
      3. the name of the SMTP server
      4. the type of security required for each
      5. port settings for each
      6. this should be available from the provider or you can find it in Mail > Preferences > Accounts on your Mac
  3. If you want to keep your emails separate consider installing a second email client on your son's iPad and configuring that to access ONLY your account. I would suggest AirMail 3 but there are several others in the iOS App Store.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52419 09/10/19 08:32 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, My son has just set up his iPad to view my emails using option (1)

Works fine and thanks again.

jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #52420 09/10/19 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: jaybass

jaybass

The nice thing about option 1 is that it works anywhere with any device that has an internet connection and a browser. Places such as public libraries, cruise ships, and Internet cafes.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52426 09/11/19 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: jaybass

jaybass

The nice thing about option 1 is that it works anywhere with any device that has an internet connection and a browser. Places such as public libraries, cruise ships, and Internet cafes.

If one is accessing e-mail or any other sort of private transactions on non-secure networks (e.g., public libraries, cruise ships, Internet cafes), you might consider using virtual private network (VPN) software. This will keep your passwords, etc. from being openly transmitted. If I recall correctly, the iPad has a setting to create a VPN. If not, there are numerous free (e.g., Tunnel Bear) or nearly free reputable VPN providers.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #52429 09/12/19 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
If one is accessing e-mail or any other sort of private transactions on non-secure networks (e.g., public libraries, cruise ships, Internet cafes), you might consider using virtual private network (VPN) software. This will keep your passwords, etc. from being openly transmitted. If I recall correctly, the iPad has a setting to create a VPN. If not, there are numerous free (e.g., Tunnel Bear) or nearly free reputable VPN providers.

Around here installing VPN software on a Public Library computer can get you tossed out — permanently and a heavy fine. That, is not limited to VPN software but VPN is included.

And yes while Apple has a VPN switch but that still requires third party software to contact a VPN network server.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52431 09/12/19 04:17 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of using the network in the aforementioned locations, not their hardware, since jaybass has access to an iPad. I would never suggest installing software on someone else's public computer.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard