FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Time for a new Mac (?)
Bensheim #52387 09/04/19 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim
That iPhoto 9.4.3 is an upgrade for Lion and Mountain Lion only, it says in system requirements. I've downloaded 9.3 and installed it, but get an error message:
You can't use this version of the application iPhotos with this version of OS X. You have iPhoto 9.3."

Therefore 9.3 is incompatible with Mavericks.

⛈ Grumble 🌩 mutter 🌊 growl 🌪, there has to be a version of iPhoto compatible with Mavericks. I am suspicious of the Mavericks you got as iPhoto (which subsequently morphed into Photos) and iTunes (subsequently morphed into Music) have been standard applications shipping with Mac OS since OS X 10.0 and should have been installed automatically with your Mavericks installation.

I found a couple of posts indicating 🌤 iPhoto 9.4.3 💥 shipped with Mavericks and others indicating 🌈 iPhoto 9.5.1 🌈 will also work. The iPhoto 9.4.3 link is from Apple but I have not been able to find an Apple source for iPhoto 9.5.1 although there are several third party sites such as TechSpot and CNET.

(Incidentally I had three gos at posting an image of that screen grab then gave up. Aren't photos displayable here?)

Although the UBB Image tag is still recognized, image posting is disabled on MacFixit to safe disk space and money. The usual drill is to post the image on IMGUR and then place a link to the Imgur image in your post.

On the other side of this office is an even older Mac, still on Snow Leopard, which has iPhoto 08, 7.1.5, so I could use that pro tem and shunt the photos over the office network to here.

Hopefully the iPhoto 9.4.3 or even better one of the 9.5.1 downloads will work. If it doesn't then we need to do some troubleshooting to figure out why.

By-the-way, did you look at the OWC video on upgrading the memory in your iMac? I genuinely believe it would make a noticeable improvement in your system performance.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Bensheim #52388 09/04/19 04:08 PM

(Incidentally I had three gos at posting an image of that screen grab then gave up. Aren't photos displayable here?)

Photos, etc. cannot be included within your post. To reference a photo you create a link to the web location where the photo is stored. There are a variety of sites that will host a photo for you, some for free, some not.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #52389 09/04/19 04:33 PM

I wonder if Bensheim's best bet is to max out his iMac with High Sierra and import his existing iPhoto library into Photos? (He probably doesn't need to go any further than Yosemite, but it may not be available to him.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #52390 09/04/19 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I wonder if Bensheim's best bet is to max out his iMac with High Sierra and import his existing iPhoto library into Photos? (He probably doesn't need to go any further than Yosemite, but it may not be available to him.)

According to OWC the highest an iMac 12.1 can go is High Sierra, and there are some limitations from Yosemite on (ie. no handoff)

I agree that going all the way to High Sierra and Photos would be a the best long range plan, but given the recent upgrade to Mavericks, if we can get iPhoto working, I would encourage staying with Mavericks for at least a few weeks before jumping four upgrades to High Sierra. It is inevitable jumping that far will break at least some applications and involve a moderately significant learning/relearning curve. But that is just my opinion.

— Albert Einstein
Bensheim #52392 09/04/19 10:50 PM

I think that System Requirements entry for iPhoto 9.4.3 is incomplete. I believe it should read:

OS X Lion 10.7.5
OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 or later

since the System Requirements entry for iPhoto 9.4.2 reads*:

OS X Lion 10.7.5
OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 or later

I had a look at my Mavericks volume—10.9.5, and I was apparently running iPhoto 9.4.2, so although I didn't really use iPhoto much, I'm pretty sure that version is compatible.
________
*Yes, I know this link is for a US locale!

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
joemikeb #52393 09/05/19 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505

According to OWC the highest an iMac 12.1 can go is High Sierra, and there are some limitations from Yosemite on (ie. no handoff)

I agree that going all the way to High Sierra and Photos would be a the best long range plan, but given the recent upgrade to Mavericks, if we can get iPhoto working, I would encourage staying with Mavericks for at least a few weeks before jumping four upgrades to High Sierra. It is inevitable jumping that far will break at least some applications and involve a moderately significant learning/relearning curve. But that is just my opinion.

Bensheim may be able to avoid the giant leap by downloading El Capitan via How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support. (Yosemite is no longer available...in the U.S. at least.)

Also... "no handoff?"

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #52395 09/05/19 09:30 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

I found a couple of posts indicating 🌤 iPhoto 9.4.3 💥 shipped with Mavericks and others indicating 🌈 iPhoto 9.5.1 🌈 will also work. The iPhoto 9.4.3 link is from Apple but I have not been able to find an Apple source for iPhoto 9.5.1 although there are several third party sites such as TechSpot and CNET.

Although the UBB Image tag is still recognized, image posting is disabled on MacFixit to safe disk space and money. The usual drill is to post the image on IMGUR and then place a link to the Imgur image in your post.

On the other side of this office is an even older Mac, still on Snow Leopard, which has iPhoto 08, 7.1.5, so I could use that pro tem and shunt the photos over the office network to here.

Hopefully the iPhoto 9.4.3 or even better one of the 9.5.1 downloads will work. If it doesn't then we need to do some troubleshooting to figure out why.

Okay! Those Techspot and CNET links didn't work; one sent me to the App Store, which doesn't hold iPhoto any more; the other one upgrades people on OS 10.10 onwards.

HOWEVER! I downloaded iPhoto 9.4.3 from your link, waited, got the installation disk, clicky click, it installed, then I got a message to update my photo library, and it WORKED!!!

I immediately got a long (enthusiastic) message urging me to upgrade again, so I gave that a go, BUT it sends you to System Upgrades which on closer inspection, does NOT include any iPhoto, just other stuff which can wait for now (stuff I don't use like Garageband whatever that is).

So, WELL DONE guys, I'm impressed and pleased. smile

Bensheim #52396 09/05/19 12:58 PM

I immediately got a long (enthusiastic) message urging me to upgrade again, so I gave that a go, BUT it sends you to System Upgrades which on closer inspection, does NOT include any iPhoto, just other stuff which can wait for now (stuff I don't use like Garageband whatever that is).

I wish all those fireworks you can attach to text messages on the iPhone were available here but the best I can do is ☄️⚡️🌈💫💥 and you may not see those correctly because of font limitations. crazy

Those enthusiastically recommended upgrades should move you to the last version of MacOS compatible with your iMac which would be High Sierra. Jumping four MacOS. versions is a BIG step. I would strongly urge you to upgrade to at least 8GB of memory before taking that leap, but I think it would be worthwhile and substantially extend the usefulness of your iMac. (But remember I am always running betas of the next version of software and my advice should be considered in light of that.)

FYI Garageband is a lightweight app for composing music and although it is a "consumer level" rather than a "professional level" app it has been used by professional musicians for composing and sound design.

— Albert Einstein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard