FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Time for a new Mac (?)
#52333 08/29/19 02:48 PM
OP Offline

Two years ago our business had to close for health reasons. Since then I've been perfectly OK with this iMac running Snow Leopard. However, it now seems that I'll need to bite the bullet and get newer kit. Specifically, my own bank's on-line banking just does not work any more (though other websites I use all the time for booking flights, hotels, buying stuff from Amazon etcetera, are all fine).

I've had a look at Macs for sale and am staggered at the prices. Nearly a thousand pounds for an Apple Notebook for instance....

I'm going to stick with Mac because I've been using them for over 30 years, and want to transfer my stuff easily. I won't need any of the applications I used to use for work though: just email, internet, music, and iPhoto*. I would be upset to lose my laserprinter and scanner (connected by USB). I suppose I'll have to get used to not having a mouse any more.

*can I assume a new Mac will come with some sort of word processing and spreadsheet?

I'm sorry if this seems garbled, but the differences between now and when I last bought a new Mac seem somewhat daunting. Any advice most welcome, thank you!

Re: Time for a new Mac (?)
Bensheim #52336 08/29/19 04:07 PM

All new Macs come with Pages and Numbers, a word processor and a spreadsheet, respectively. You can also use a mouse, either by Bluetooth or with a little USB plug-in (a dongle). Check out VueScan if your scanner is not recognized right away. This software is exemplary at connecting to scanners. Finally, consider a refurbished Mac, purchased through Apple. They come with the same warranty as a new Mac and you can still get Apple Care. Enjoy. smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #52339 08/29/19 04:50 PM
OP Offline

Hi Ira and thanks for replying.

I've had another look around, and it seems I could upgrade this Mac, what do you think of that option, it would save me serious money?

This Mac has 4GB memory and over 450GB spare disk space (!). I have another Mac over there (behind me, this used to be an office), not used for a couple of years, same OS, maybe I could put it on this desk and try software update on that one, before I commit to this one? If that sounds like a reasonably good idea, is it possible to update in stages, not go straight from 10.6 to 10.14? i.e., to whichever version still supports USB and a mouse?

MANY thanks in advance.

Bensheim #52340 08/29/19 05:01 PM

If your Macs can run Snowy, it's likely that they won't be able to be upgraded all the way to Mojave.

Exactly which models/years are your Macs?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #52341 08/29/19 06:00 PM
OP Offline

Which models/years?

I got this off 'about your Mac'

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
SMC Version (system): 1.71f21

Bensheim #52342 08/29/19 08:01 PM

According to MacTracker the maximum OS version for your machine is MacOS 10.13.6 (a.k.a. High Sierra). There is no way to upgrade your present Mac so that it would be compatible with either Mojave or Catalina.

The most Mac for the money is probably the MacBook Air (starting around 900£) but then you would either have to live with a 13" screen or invest in an external display and those can get pretty pricey as well). However you could start with the MacBook Air and add the external monitor later.

With careful shopping (the monitor, keyboard, and mouse or trackpad being extra) you could get a decent Mac mini at roughly the same price point. The mini is a surprisingly capable system, can be upgraded/replaced piecemeal, and has enjoyed an exceptionally long support life span from Apple.

For the uses you described another Apple alternative at about the same price point would be the 12.9" iPad Pro and an Apple Magic Keyboard. Functionally it would do pretty much the same things as the MacBook Air (and maybe even faster), operate over either WiFi or cell network, use exactly the same Apple apps, and arguably simpler and easier to maintain, but you would lose the ability to connect a larger external monitor. (My son is doing some web design and development and does most of his work on his iPad because he finds it easier to manipulate code and graphics and the search engine rankings look at the mobile site because there are millions more mobile users.)

I forgot to mention that on this side of the Atlantic you can find some savings by buying factory rebuilt Macs. They come with the same Apple Warranty and have the same Apple Care eligibility as a brand new Macs. They are available through Apple's web site as well as through a few select re-sellers, but not the brick and mortar Apple Stores.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/29/19 08:13 PM. Reason: Add Rebuilt Mac Reference

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52344 08/30/19 12:29 PM
OP Offline

This is turning into a detective story. I moved the other old-ish iMac to this desk and tried to upgrade using software update and app store. It didn't work. At All. Just won't do it.

Then I took another hour reviewing workarounds on various websites but again failed. Mac themselves do not provide software downloads old enough for this computer. I have since found out that it was manufactured in 2011 (but had to use a third party website to find THAT out!)

HOWEVER, I have found (on Amazon), bootable USB installations for most OSs. I think I'll go for Mavericks 10.9.5 attractively priced at £16.95+postage. To see if that means I can then upgrade Firefox which is at its limit until I do something about the OS; and fix those websites which don't work any more.

IF that doesn't work, it's only £20 or so wasted and a lot learned? What do you all think, please?

Last edited by Bensheim; 08/30/19 12:50 PM.
Bensheim #52345 08/30/19 01:08 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens, but in my opinion that would be "beating a dead horse."

— Albert Einstein
Bensheim #52347 08/30/19 03:53 PM

Did you search the App Store specifically for High Sierra?

My impression is that it should at least offer you the most recent version of OS X/macOS that will run on your Mac, i.e. High Sierra.

Did it offer you ANY version of the OS at all?

Or are you saying that you found what you were looking for, but it won't run?

A call to AppleCare may be warranted.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #52349 08/30/19 05:53 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
It will be interesting to see what happens, but in my opinion that would be "beating a dead horse."

Hi Joe

I'm reasonably confident: "OS X Mavericks can run on any Mac that can run OS X Mountain Lion; as with Mountain Lion, 2 GB of RAM, 8 GB of available storage, and OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or later are required. Mavericks and later versions are all available for free. The full list of compatible models: iMac (Mid 2007 or later)" and my iMac appears on the list of compatible models.

But, as ever, we'll see. And as for "...for free" I had to pay for this from Amazon, arrives early next week. Fingers crossed!

Bensheim #52360 08/31/19 05:46 PM
OP Offline

While I'm waiting for the Amazon USB, what do you all think of Google Chrome (as an alternative browser)? Is it worth downloading to see if I can access my online bank again?

BTW I'm accessing it OK on a Samsung Galaxy Tab, so I'm OK ftm.

thanks in advance

Bensheim #52361 08/31/19 06:53 PM

You'll get a better response to your question if it's posted as an independent thread in the Networking forum.

artie505 #52370 09/03/19 02:17 PM
OP Offline

smile grin

OhmyGod, IT WORKED!!! I've now got Mavericks on this computer, and everything is as I left it!

It took a while and once I was worried: it seemed to get stuck on "one second to go", so I used another computer to look that up, and it seems to be fairly normal.

Then the Actual Installation took place, which took about an hour, but with my heart in my mouth I logged in and HEY PRESTO!!

The first thing I did was to download a Firefox update, and the second thing I did was to go onto my bank's online banking, and WOW, it WORKS!!!

Phew. Thanks to all who joined in this thread. smile

Bensheim #52372 09/03/19 03:07 PM

Since your are now running Maverick, if you wanted to improve the performance of your iMac the most bang for your buck would be to increase the memory to 8 or even 16 GB. An extra 4 GB DIMM should run around 16£ ($20 USD).

— Albert Einstein
Bensheim #52373 09/03/19 03:47 PM

I'm happy to hear that the thumb drive worked for you, but I'm still at a loss as to why you couldn't upgrade for free via the App Store. confused frown

joemikeb #52374 09/03/19 03:52 PM
OP Offline

Hi Joe,

How do you do that? It's all sealed up....... confused

artie505 #52375 09/03/19 03:58 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
I'm happy to hear that the thumb drive worked for you, but I'm still at a loss as to why you couldn't upgrade for free via the App Store. confused frown

I think it's because I bought these Macs from John Lewis, not from Apple directly. There is nothing in the "purchased" part of their website. This, if I'm right, seems more than a bit rough on millions of Mac users who buy their computers from legitimate retailers.\\

Anyway, I've been getting to grips with my new OS. frown iPhoto does not work any more. I've spent the last HOUR of my life trying to find out how to manage photos now I'm on Mavericks, does anyone here have an idea?

(Yes, I went to system update, iPhoto update is not possible. Also to other websites which offer iPhoto 9.5 but they all redirect to the Apple Store which doesn't stock it any more.)

(Going to photos on my hard disk however, they're fine. It's just that I have no photo software any more and will need some when I get back from holiday.)

Bensheim #52376 09/03/19 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Bensheim

I think it's because I bought these Macs from John Lewis, not from Apple directly. There is nothing in the "purchased" part of their website. This, if I'm right, seems more than a bit rough on millions of Mac users who buy their computers from legitimate retailers.

Whom you bought your iMacs from has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING on free OS upgrades. Still confused

If you go to the App Store now, does it offer you an upgrade to High Sierra (as I think it should)?

You’ll never have to pay for a Mac OS upgrade again....

Bensheim #52377 09/03/19 04:39 PM

Hi Joe,

Follow the instructions in this Apple support page If I picked the wrong model, look here for other choices.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
artie505 #52378 09/03/19 04:56 PM
OP Offline

I think it's because I bought these Macs from John Lewis, not from Apple directly. There is nothing in the "purchased" part of their website. This, if I'm right, seems more than a bit rough on millions of Mac users who buy their computers from legitimate retailers.

Whom you bought your iMacs from has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING on free OS upgrades. Still confused

If you go to the App Store now, does it offer you an upgrade to High Sierra (as I think it should)?

Yes, an update to High Sierra was listed on Software Update just now. However, system requirements indicate that this (newly upgraded) Mac won't take it:

"HEVC hardware acceleration requires a Mac with a sixth-generation Intel processor or newer:

iMac: Late 2015 27" or later....."

Bensheim #52379 09/03/19 04:59 PM

Yes, an update to High Sierra was listed on Software Update just now. However, system requirements indicate that this (newly upgraded) Mac won't take it:

"HEVC hardware acceleration requires a Mac with a sixth-generation Intel processor or newer:

iMac: Late 2015 27" or later....."

Confirming what joemike has previously said, according to Mactracker, your iMac is upgradeable to High Sierra, and that's confirmed by Software Update's offering it to you.

Bensheim #52380 09/03/19 05:05 PM

Hi Joe,

It is a highly technical process requiring the ability to use a small Phillips screwdriver (of course I am kidding — it is dead simple cool ). See this OWC video for detailed instructions.

I think it's because I bought these Macs from John Lewis, not from Apple directly. There is nothing in the "purchased" part of their website. This, if I'm right, seems more than a bit rough on millions of Mac users who buy their computers from legitimate retailers.\\

It may be different on your side of the pond but on this side, Apple does not differentiate in any way on where you bought your Apple product(s).

Anyway, I've been getting to grips with my new OS. frown iPhoto does not work any more. I've spent the last HOUR of my life trying to find out how to manage photos now I'm on Mavericks, does anyone here have an idea?

iPhoto is an obsolete product that is no longer supported by Apple having been replaced with Photos which is included as a part of the standard MacOS installation and is not available as a stand-alone download from the App Store.

Photos now has all the image management and editing features of iPhoto plus a lot more and it should be automatically updated from the App Store. I don't remember what updating features are available in Mavericks but check System Preferences and see if there is a Software Update pane and if there is, open it and check the box labeled "Automatically keep my Mac up to date" and it will do just that transparently and in the background usually at night while you are asleep. When the Software Update pane is opened it automatically checks for any outstanding updates compatible with your computer and OS version and will give you the option of installing them now. If there is no Software Update pane open the App Store app and check the updates tab.

Enjoy your holiday! (In six weeks we will be heading to Walt Disney World to celebrate our 60th anniversary! 💑 )

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52381 09/03/19 05:52 PM
OP Offline

A quick reply to one point before I have to eat!

I think that the reason why I couldn't download this upgrade from Apple, is that I did not register the purchase or upgrade to Snow Leopard. Therefore, Apple didn't know about it. Does that make sense? FWIW I had a thorough search of this office earlier, and could not find Snow Leopard instal disks. Only Tiger. That makes me think I upgraded online? Not that it matters, much, now.

OK, Photos is not compatible with Mavericks, I checked that bit. I have to find some software which, when I plug in my camera, will upload the photos - just like iPhoto used to do!

ps. We're heading out to celebrate our 40th anniversary!

Bensheim #52382 09/03/19 09:35 PM

I think that the reason why I couldn't download this upgrade from Apple, is that I did not register the purchase or upgrade to Snow Leopard. Therefore, Apple didn't know about it. Does that make sense? FWIW I had a thorough search of this office earlier, and could not find Snow Leopard instal disks. Only Tiger. That makes me think I upgraded online? Not that it matters, much, now.

According to this Apple document your iMac officially vintage in the United States and Turkey and Obsolete in the rest of the world so it would not be supported in Great Britain. However all MacOS updates since Snow Leopard (MacOS 10.6) have been free online upgrades and upgrade disks were available from Apple at a nominal cost (basically the cost of the media and postage). AFIK no registration was or is necessary other than a free Apple ID and Password in order to access the App Store. A DuckDuckGo search for obsolete Apple Software turned up sites such as Macintosh Repository that offer old no longer supported Apple and Mac compatible software products and OS versions available fo downloading.

OK, Photos is not compatible with Mavericks, I checked that bit. I have to find some software which, when I plug in my camera, will upload the photos - just like iPhoto used to do!

Mavericks had a nice version of iPhoto bundled with it that should work on your iMac. confused You can find a downloadable versions of iPhoto here. I believe iPhoto 9.4.3 would be the latest version compatible with your iMac and MacOS version. Hopefully that Apple link will work in 🇬🇧.

Actually you should be able to access the files in an attached camera or mounted SD card with Finder and simply drag and drop the file onto your iMac.

ps. We're heading out to celebrate our 40th anniversary!

May you all be as happy as we are when you are 20 years further along in marriage.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52386 09/04/19 01:38 PM
OP Offline

Hi Joe
That iPhoto 9.4.3 is an upgrade for Lion and Mountain Lion only, it says in system requirements. I've downloaded 9.3 and installed it, but get an error message:
You can't use this version of the application iPhotos with this version of OS X. You have iPhoto 9.3."

Therefore 9.3 is incompatible with Mavericks.
(Incidentally I had three gos at posting an image of that screen grab then gave up. Aren't photos displayable here?)

I've cleared up one mystery: I bought this Mac with Snow Leopard already installed. I've found the slim boxes containing keyboards (without number pads, so I never used them) and installation disks.

On the other side of this office is an even older Mac, still on Snow Leopard, which has iPhoto 08, 7.1.5, so I could use that pro tem and shunt the photos over the office network to here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard