for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Apple Support Observations
#52330 08/28/19 04:46 PM
OP Offline

Yesterday, I decided to "bite the bullet" and go back and status three years worth of Feedback Reports submitted via the Feedback Assistant app Apple provides for beta testers. That review and re-status revealed several things about how Apple Support works I found interesting including:
  • Every one of those reports had been looked at and statuses by Apple, usually within a day or so after submission. 👍
  • The first annotation on each report is "Are there other similar reports" and if so "Are there more than 10 similar reports". (As a former software developer that is very valuable in setting priorities for working an issue.)
  • If the issue has already been reported and a problem identification number assigned the new report is closed. 👈👉
  • I should have been more diligent in checking back through the Feedback Assistant to see if more information was needed. 👎
  • There is a provision in Feedback Assistant for the submitter to close a problem for any reason. (A good way to save face when you realize you were the problem) ✌️
  • Typical developer comments are along the lines of "A change planned for release in the next update will probably sixths issue" 👏
  • Going back over all those Feedback reports
    • 100% had been analyzed at least to some extent,
    • less than 15% were reported by more than one person, and of those maybe half were reported by more than 10 persons,
    • 20% were application specific and required action on the part of third party developers
    • one way or another (several to my embarrassment) 90% were cleared to my satisfaction,
    • <10% remain open and we are still in beta (A new app release this morning cleared the last significant problem I had 🥂)
  • Having worked at Microsoft I found Apple's performance particularly impressive.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Apple Support Observations
joemikeb #52331 08/29/19 09:04 AM

That's all well and good, but let's not forget that it reflects only Apple's dealing with feedback regarding betas, which I must assume they consider to be highest priority.

On the other hand, though, there are glitches throughout the OS that have been present, reported, and ignored for years.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard