An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#52318 - 08/24/19 07:06 AM Eyeglass try-ons....keep an eye on them
ryck Offline

Loc: Okanagan Valley
I visited an online eyeglass vendor and they had a "see how they look on you" feature that required permission to use the iMac camera, which I granted. After looking at a few frames I went to my Safari Preferences to turn off the permission.

While the Prefs were open I took the opportunity to check a couple of other things and found that the eyeglass site had also toggled on my microphone. I removed the microphone permission that hadn't been knowingly granted.

My landline phone has a handset extension on the computer desk and I therefore have a lot of conversations in front of the computer. It's scary to think that the microphone would have been open during future conversations if I had not poked around in my Safari preferences.

Edited by ryck (08/24/19 07:10 AM)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4
OS Mojave 10.14.6
Canon MX710 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner
Time Machine on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Carbon Copy Clone on 500GB OWC Mercury OTG Pro

#52319 - 08/24/19 07:55 AM Re: Eyeglass try-ons....keep an eye on them [Re: ryck]
joemikeb Online

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
Thanks for the heads up!

Next time Safari Technology Preview asks for permission to activate a service for a web site I will remember this and hopefully won't get so annoyed. 🙅‍♂️

#52320 - 08/24/19 08:08 AM Re: Eyeglass try-ons....keep an eye on them [Re: ryck]
artie505 Online

That's totally unacceptable; I hope you've made a LOT of noise!

I go through my Websites pane on an irregular regular basis to make sure nothing like that's happened to me.

In Memory Of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderator:  alternaut, cyn