FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sending email reminders from Calendar
#52253 08/19/19 04:16 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Is there a way to send email reminders from Calendar to a protonmail account? I ought to able to do it from Internet Accounts in the System Prefs. but I haven't figured out how.

Re: Sending email reminders from Calendar
deniro #52257 08/19/19 09:06 PM

The sending email account is selected in Mail > Preferences > Composing > "Send new messages from:"

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52262 08/20/19 12:23 AM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I have an account that I use with Mail and an online account (protonmail). The second is the one I would like to send reminders to.

deniro #52264 08/20/19 01:35 AM

I am not sure I am completely understanding you yet, but you will find instructions on installing the Protomail bridge and configuring Mail here. Once you have done that and paid to use Protonmail's servers you can configure Mail to prefer Protonmail for sending messages and invitations to appointments scheduled in Calendar will be sent via that link.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52274 08/20/19 08:17 PM

I think the question is sending to a Protomail account. The responses seem to be about sending from Protomail. shocked

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #52281 08/21/19 06:21 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes. From my Calendar to my internet account at protonmail.

deniro #52286 08/21/19 09:09 PM

When you say "From my Calendar to my internet account at protonmail." I assume you are sending the calendar invitation to a third party via your protonmail account or have you contracted with proton to provide you with storage space on their servers?

There is no way of configuring Calendar or Mail such that Calendar event invitations are sent via Protonmail and everything else through Apple Mail. But you can specify Protonmail as the default account for all mail messages which includes Calendar event invitations. But you would have to be very careful to manually select Apple as the sending account for each and every unencrypted message.

There are however a large number of competitors to Calendar on the App Store such as Calendars, and the very highly rated Fantastical and perhaps one of those might solve your invitation/reminder via ProtonMail issue.

Sending messages, invitations, whatever via Protonmail has the added complication that in order to open or view the contents the recipient either has to have a protonmail account or you will have to send them the "pass phrase" to open the message by some unencrypted means: your Apple Mail account, text message, voice, or confused So each invitation will likely require two separate communications. I would be interested to know if you find an app that will do all of that in a single transaction, although it might be possible to do it in a workflow.

I thought perhaps it might be doable in the iOS Protonmail app, but no such luck or at least not that I can find.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/21/19 09:16 PM. Reason: Clarifying what I meant.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52298 08/22/19 12:46 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

How did you become a moderator of a tech forum? Why do I have explain everything to you five times? Is English your first language? You have a real knack for misunderstanding what people are saying.

Go to System Preferences>Internet Accounts.
At the top of the page, it says "Internet Accounts sets up your accounts to use with Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Messages, and other apps."

You have choices like Google, Yahoo. Now if Proton Mail were one of them, I would not have any problems. I would not have asked this question. I could simply click on the choice. This System Pref proves that it is possible to link Mail or Calendar to internet accounts. One need only uncover a way.

If I have an appointment on Monday at 8 am, I would like Calendar to send me a reminder of that appointment—before it happens. That means sending me an email. ProtonMail is a free internet mail service. I have a Proton Mail account. I would like Calendar to sent me email reminders of my appointments.

Capisce?

Last edited by deniro; 08/22/19 12:48 PM.
deniro #52306 08/22/19 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
How did you become a moderator of a tech forum? Why do I have explain everything to you five times? Is English your first language? You have a real knack for misunderstanding what people are saying.

Settle down. You're out of line.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
deniro #52310 08/22/19 06:38 PM

Like Ryck sez....settle down!

If you were to take a look at the Proton Mail help pages, it tells you how to set up Apple Mail to use Proton Mail Bridge and seamlessly utilize the encrypted email features on the Apple Mail application on your computer.....

Look HERE and then come back here if you need further assistance with following their guidance. The Proton Bridge software described is only for paid subscribers (as JoeMikeB already pointed out above...), so you will most likely be unable to configure Proton Mail for the Apple Mail application due to the additional encryption features that it contains without becoming a paid subscriber....

Let us know how it goes.

FWIW, it appears that you might be desiring a feature that is not part of the normal suite of functions in the Apple Calendar and Mail apps.....as I see it, the calendar events get an internal notification on the computer, but I see no way for it to send an external reminder to an email account. I might be wrong about this, so if I am I apologize in advance.

edited for additional info...

Last edited by MacManiac; 08/22/19 06:55 PM.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
deniro #52312 08/22/19 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
Go to System Preferences>Internet Accounts.
At the top of the page, it says "Internet Accounts sets up your accounts to use with Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Messages, and other apps."

You have choices like Google, Yahoo. Now if Proton Mail were one of them, I would not have any problems. I would not have asked this question. I could simply click on the choice. This System Pref proves that it is possible to link Mail or Calendar to internet accounts. One need only uncover a way.

Apple, Google, and Yahoo all have on-line calendars that can be accessed via a web browser. When you select Calendar on one of those email accounts it links the Calendar app on your Mac to the on-line calendar provided by Google, Yahoo, etc. If Protonmail had an on-line calendar then it might be possible to link Apple's Calendar app with that on-line calendar, but as far as I can find protonmail does not offer that service.

Unlike appointment invitations Apple's Calendar app sends appointment reminders as Notifications and there is no provision for sending them via text message or email. I don't know if Yahoo or Google's on-line calendars can send reminders via Email or not but if they did it would be through their own SMTP server and even if they could be configured to use protonmail's SMTP server there could be no end to end encryption because the encryption takes place in the protonmail bridge app on your MacOS or iOS device.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard