FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TextSoap Menu does't install and lauch at login
#52220 08/14/19 02:33 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

It has a pref. to do so, but the icon doesn't appear at the top of the screen with other programs that launch at login. I noticed a log message says,

"com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Could not find and/or execute program specified by service: 155: Refusing to execute/trust quarantined program/file: com.unmarked.textsoap8.agent"

I checked my security prefs and everything looks OK.

Re: TextSoap Menu does't install and lauch at login
deniro #52222 08/14/19 03:45 PM

Is that the App Store version? I just downloaded and installed it and it launches normally on restarting. However, when I click on the "Learn More About TextSoap" link I get an App Store message
Originally Posted By: App Store

App Not Available
This app is currently not available in your country or region
This has the earmarks of an inexperienced developer. If you want to continue using TextSoap you might try deleting the app and re-installing it from the App Store and see if that solves your problem.

As an alternative you might take a look at DEVON Technologies WordService that appears in the Services menu instead of the menu bar and does everything TextSoap does plus a whole lot more.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52223 08/14/19 06:20 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

There is no App store version. I looked. This is a direct download from the developer at unmarked.com. I sent him an email about this problem, so we'll see what he says.

deniro #52224 08/14/19 06:22 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Generally I avoid the App store because I hate it. Is there any reason why I should start using App store versions instead of versions I can download elsewhere?

deniro #52225 08/14/19 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
There is no App store version. I looked. This is a direct download from the developer at unmarked.com. I sent him an email about this problem, so we'll see what he says.

Well apparently there is an identically named and functionally similar app on the App Store or I would not have been able to download from there. As far as I can tell the one on the App Store works and when you check th box to load automatically on startup that works too. Since the one you downloaded does not load automatically that would seem a good reason to download the one from the App Store — it is FREE.

Originally Posted By: deniro
Generally I avoid the App store because I hate it. Is there any reason why I should start using App store versions instead of versions I can download elsewhere?

It is your choice of course. While the strict "sandboxing" required for App Store versions greatly reduces the risk of ill-behaving apps, it can make it difficult, sometimes impossible, for some apps to be 100% functional.

I use the App Store because it is convenient, reliable, convenient, safe, and did I mention convenient? Also updates are automatic and completely transparent in most cases. If an App Store version is functionally limited and it effects my work, I have no qualms about switching to the non-App Store version. If I find an app that I need and it is not in the App Store I get it, but I give preference to apps from "recognized developers" and only download directly from the developers web site, avoiding third party aggregators assiduously.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52226 08/15/19 12:33 AM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

You may be confusing two programs. One is called TextSoap. The other is called TextSoap Menu.

See here

I never downloaded TextSoap Menu. But I did download TextSoap 8 from unmarked.com and paid for it.

deniro #52227 08/15/19 12:43 AM

I just took your subject of this topic as the name of the app.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52228 08/15/19 12:58 AM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Hmm, yes, automatic, convenient. That's always how it starts. It's just as convenient for me go to MacUpdate or PureMac or a developer's web site. There are many reasons to avoid the App store.

I'm plenty unhappy about the existing ways Apple keeps me tethered to the mothership and fiddles with my computer without my knowledge. Privacy is gone. Private property and the ability to repair your own products are next in line. It's as though after Steve Jobs died, his psychotic characteristics remained in the company, but none of the good ones.

The App store has a lot of problems. There aren't many programs. They are poorly organized and poorly described. Free programs are often not free. It's a pain to navigate. I use tabs all the time in Firefox, but of course you can't do that on the App store, forcing you to do a lot of back and forth. I dislike the App store installing programs on my computer. I can do it. I don't need the App store to take over a simple task. There are problems with functionality; programs downloaded from the developer are sometimes better than the App Store versions. I'm not going to address the larger problem of how developers are treated. And I have to sign into the App Store every time. Twice. What a pain. Apple and their dumb ID problems. I can't use the App Store with 1Password the way I do other web sites because it's not a web page, it's a separate program.

Wherever I turn in the Apple world, my freedom is being diminished. It would be easier to accept if there were some positive gain in return. But there isn't. It seems to get worse every week.

All those years I wanted Apple to do well was because I liked the products and wanted them to get better. I had no feelings for or attachment to the company otherwise. Now Apple is at the top of...something...but Macs and the macOS have been abused and neglected. The only credo these people live by appears to be, Let's do what we can get away with until the money runs out.

joemikeb #52229 08/15/19 01:01 AM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

There's an option in TextSoap 8 for installing an icon and drop down menu at the top of the screen when the computer starts, just like Default Folder, atext, ClipMenu. This option in the preferences is called "Install TextSoap Menu at login". I have it checked but it doesn't work.

deniro #52232 08/15/19 05:37 PM

Not many Programs on the App Store confused According to Appshopper.com out of the out of a total of 4,030,978 Total Apps Approved by Apple 1,057,224 currently appear in the App Store. Of those 23,373 are for the Mac, 324,061 iPhone Only, 38.410 iPad Only, and 671,380 Universal apps. This number is down from last year because Apple has tightened the App Store requirements after some shady — if not outright malware — apps had managed to get on the App Store.

Personally I preferred the old App Store app to the new one, but admittedly the new one is probably better for the iPhone and like it or not there are tens of millions more iPhone customers than Mac customers. Which explains why there are hundreds if nit thousands of more developers working on iOS apps than there are working on Mac apps. That and the fact that the computer market gets smaller every year as users migrate to smart phones, tablets, and even wearable devices instead of a computer. (Why should a user buy a MacBook Pro when for $1,000 to $2,000 dollars less they can get an iPad that is arguably as fast, has builtin cellular capability, significantly better battery life, is lighter and easier to carry, and is capable of most of what the computer can do? For example, my wife has given up her iPad because she feels she can do everything she wants or needs to do on her iPhone and it is far more portable. To carry the analogy one more step, she often leaves her iPhone at home because 80% or more of her use can be done on her Apple Watch. But she still clings her Mac mini because of its larger screen and keyboard feel.)

The trend is highly unlikely to change, but with Apple's new APIs in Catalina and iOS 13 there is the possibility some (many?) of those "Universal" apps will include MacOS as well as iOS variants.

I can't agree that it is shameful that Apple and the App Store have made multi-millionaires out of a substantial number of developers and are holding all the developers to stricter standards to help ensure user's security and privacy.

If you want complete freedom go down to Fry's, buy individual components, and assemble your own PC (or even a Macenstien), install your choice of the available versions of Unix (maybe even the BSD Unix that underlies MacOS) and get your software from Source Forge, The Open Source Initiative, etc. You would be free to customize those apps to fit your individual preferences and add features you want. You would be pretty much free of any restrictions except those imposed by the various standards entities such as IEEE, W3C, ANSI, ISO, ACM. etc. and, of course, your ISP, and sites you visit and post on.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/15/19 06:33 PM. Reason: oversights

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52235 08/15/19 09:56 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Regarding the numbers, I think you've answered your own question. Programs are hard to find on the App store unless you already know what you are looking for. A site like MacUpdate, the heir of Version Tracker, makes more sense to me.

I gave a lot of thought to building a PC. Even picked some parts online. Some day I might. Although there is more software for Windows, it's not that much more, and most of it is designed poorly, except for the games and I'm not a gamer. As for Linux, I found it to be not worth the trouble, with its constant updates and maintenance and endless fiddling, with too few people willing to help solve problems.

Re: Apple. I see no reason to avoid telling it like it is, whether Apple has made people rich or whether it has created generations of morons who stare at their thumbs. Or both. Conformity isn't always bad. But it isn't always good either.

deniro #52238 08/16/19 04:13 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I figured it out. For anyone interested:

Go to System Preferences>Users and Groups>Login Items. You may have to click the padlock and enter your password.

At Login Items, click the plus sign. Navigate through folders to

Your home>Library>Application Support

Then scroll down until you find "com.unmarked.textsoap8.menu" and click on it. From now on, that file should open whenever you login or start your computer, putting the TextSoap icon in the upper right part of your menu bar.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard