FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Services Menu Print Selection
#52192 08/07/19 04:36 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

In Mojave, when I use the Services menu to print a selection, I get a message that the Services app is not optimized for Mojave and will not work in newer OS's. I don't know where that app is located and I assume that it's by Apple. I find it strange that Apple would not upgrade it to 64-bit, even if it works in Mojave. Do you find anything similar in Santa Catalina?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: Services Print Selection
jchuzi #52193 08/07/19 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
In Mojave, when I use the Services menu to print a selection, I get a message that the Services app is not optimized for Mojave and will not work in newer OS's. I don't know where that app is located and I assume that it's by Apple. I find it strange that Apple would not upgrade it to 64-bit, even if it works in Mojave. Do you find anything similar in Santa Catalina?

Strange, but I just used the Services menu to print a selection and no optimization message popped up. Tried it in Safari 12.1.2 with macOS 10.14.6.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/08/19 05:50 PM.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: Services Print Selection.
jchuzi #52195 08/07/19 11:41 PM

I haven't seen that in any version of MacOS including Mojave and Catalina, but then Print does not appear on my Services menu.

All I can think of is you have an add-on to your Services menu that is 32 bit. Have you tried searching for 32 bit applications? Look at System Information > Software > Legacy Software and see if something shows up there

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/08/19 05:51 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #52197 08/08/19 12:50 AM

I haven't got "Print" in my services menu either, but if you can identify the app that placed it in yours in System Prefs > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services, it will presumably be your culprit.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #52198 08/08/19 09:58 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Maybe this will clarify the situation:

In Safari, I select a bit of print. I then go to Safari > Services and Print Selection appears in both the Text list and the Pictures list. When I click Print Selection, I get a preview of the selection and the option to either print or cancel. At that point, I have gotten the warning (it occurred twice at widely scattered times) and I usually don't get it. AFAIK, I do not have any add-ons to Services. I followed Artie's suggestion and didn't find anything.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #52199 08/08/19 12:59 PM

I followed your directions exactly and I still do not have Print in the services menu in either Mojave or Catalina. Additionally I have scanned the options in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services and under text there are a lot of options from
  • calc service
  • BBedit
  • DEVONThink
  • Xcode
  • Scriviner
  • wordservice
  • Apple
but NO PRINT. Those service providers are apps that appear on the list when the app is placed in the /Applications folder. The app does not have to be launched or running to be available to provide the service.

Your Print service is almost certainly provided by some app in the /Applications folder and should appear in the list of services in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services. It is probably a holdover from a previous iteration of MacOS and it may even be a hangover from an incomplete uninstall of some long forgotten app.

System Information > Software will show list of all apps on your system and indicate whether or not they are 64 bit. That is where I would start looking for your Services culprit. Another likely suspect would be some printer app maybe installed as part of a printer driver. Whatever the case, I suspect fixing the problem will result in losing the Print item in your services menu.

NOTE: I just found Print Selection on the App Store that appears to provide the same Print utility from either the Menu Bar or the Service menu and since it is on the App Store it is 64 bit. FYI I got Print Selection and tried it out. I think I am going to get a lot of use out of it — thanks for starting this thread or I would never have known I needed the service. By-the-way clicking on the service launches the app so you do not need to have it launch at logon.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52200 08/08/19 02:04 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Thanks for that link, Joe. I just downloaded and installed it. It looks good!

Jon

joemikeb #52202 08/08/19 04:21 PM

To emphasize a point Jon made previously, for me at least, "Print Selection" does not appear in the Services menu until after text, etc. is selected. If I just look in the Services menu prior to selecting anything, I don't see the option; select something and the option to Print Selection appears.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #52203 08/08/19 04:40 PM

I don't see "Print Selection" under any circumstances, and since it doesn't appear in System Prefs > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services by default, it's apparently 3rd party, not Apple, related.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Ira L #52204 08/08/19 04:59 PM

Text selected or not, "Print Item" did not appear in my Services menu in Catalina until after I installed the Print Selection app I referenced previously. Nor does it appear on my Wife's Mac mini running Catalina or my Mac mini server running Mojave.

I can delete the option in the services menu either by unchecking the entry in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services or by deleting the Print Selection app (which removes the option from System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services altogether).

An interesting sidelight is the option, when present, is under "Pictures" not "Text". 🤷‍♂️

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #52206 08/08/19 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I don't see "Print Selection" under any circumstances, and since it doesn't appear in System Prefs > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services by default, it's apparently 3rd party, not Apple, related.

That is what it appears to me to be. 👌

NOTE: If you haven't discovered Services Menu extensions you are missing a lot of power features. Many Apps add their own features to the Services Menu but there are a number of apps available through the App Store whose only purpose is adding features to the Services Menu. This thread has already discussed Print Selection but others I have found useful include:
  • CalcService which offers a variety of math functions accessible through the Service menu.
  • WordService which offfers a variety of text sorting and arranging options
  • Textlicious that can change font, capitlization, invert characters, etc.
…and there are a host of others on the App Store. Unfortunately searching for "service" gets a lot of false hits so finding them can take some timed patience.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/08/19 06:35 PM.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52231 08/15/19 02:30 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I just tried Print Services for the first time and it's really neat. I can add different selections to the same page, change fonts and size, delete unwanted text, etc. That's something that I couldn't do before from the Services menu.

Thanks again for posting the link, Joe! cool

Jon

jchuzi #52234 08/15/19 08:01 PM

Thanks for bringing up the topic. It led me to find the service and I too find it very useful.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard