Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
And now for a bit of levity...
#52098 07/21/19 04:57 PM
OP Online

Even if you hate baseball, you gotta love this! smile

6-year-old baseball coach loses his cool, gets ejected - YouTube

Note: I wasn't able to link this vid via the media icon...I'm guessing because its YouTube ID is 11 characters and the entry field is coded to accept 10.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: And now for a bit of levity...
artie505 #52099 07/21/19 06:52 PM

Six years old and already throws tantrums worthy of MLB. The kid has a future!

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #52109 07/22/19 05:27 PM

OK, but not to get too picky, snarky or whatever, but…

My first reaction to the title and written posts was in what society is it good to glorify the poor behavior of a 6-year old. Then I actually watched the video and in the first 45 seconds or so I actually chuckled (I do like baseball). It was clear the boy was mimicking the classic "I don't like your call" behavior, namely kicking dirt on the umpire's shoes. That is not tantrum 6-year old behavior; it is cute. Then as I continued to watch it occurred to me the whole scene was staged to promote the Grizzly baseball team. A bit overkill (four bats and a baseball tub!), but ultimately a funny parody of adult behavior.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #52118 07/23/19 07:41 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Ira L
It was clear the boy was mimicking the classic "I don't like your call" behavior, namely kicking dirt on the umpire's shoes. That is not tantrum 6-year old behavior; it is cute. Then as I continued to watch it occurred to me the whole scene was staged to promote the Grizzly baseball team.

Beyond cute, it's actually a brilliant cartoon parody of "grownup" behavior (which itself sometimes reaches tantrum proportions), and it IS, of course, all about self-promotion.

Everything is about self-promotion these days (Think Donald Trump and your own local LaVar Ball.), and if you manage to go viral, you can ride it all the way to the bank.

But don't overlook the brilliance of the scheme itself... Rather than make the kid the team's mascot, which would have totally hamstrung his act, the Grizzlies made him a coach, and thereby empowered him to interact with the umpire and force him to participate in the cartoon.

I suspect that the practice will be banned in the bud, and that Coach Drake will NOT be back with his own reality mini-series next baseball season.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard