An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#52040 - 07/11/19 01:43 AM Re: Santa Catalina is running for me... [Re: joemikeb]
artie505 Online

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I am confident that there are those out there that <snip> could easily wind up owning your entire worldly goods and collecting your Social Security and other retirement benefits. If you want to test your security try placing an add in a Ukrainian or Russian newspaper 😄

I'd love to sit down with you over an ice cold beer and discuss the specific risk you think using the same password at n different websites, NONE OF WHICH has any more information about me than my address...possibly my phone number poses. OK, a few of those sites make me enter credit card info (None of them has EVER had my SSN.) but do NOT retain it, and Amazon does retain it, but I delete it instantly.

Caution, maybe even extreme caution is necessary on the Internet, but it seems to me that your position in this instance crosses over the line to paranoia.

Tacit, where are you?

In Memory Of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

#52045 - 07/12/19 01:03 PM Re: Santa Catalina is running for me... [Re: artie505]
joemikeb Online

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
GRANTING ACCESS

I have already mentioned the necessity of granting apps access to various system function on a app-by-app basis but there are additional complications…
  1. some apps throw up a Preview or Safari window with instructions to
    1. open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy
    2. enter your password
    3. add the app to the appropriate permissions list
    4. check the box next to the app on the list to activate it
  2. Some
    1. open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy for you
    2. you then must enter your password
    3. add the app to the appropriate permissions list
    4. check the box next to the app on the list to activate it
  3. Other apps will launch System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy and fill in the app name so all the user has to do is
    1. enter their password
    2. check the box next to the app to activate it
  4. still others
    1. Throw up a dialogue box requesting permission to access the resource
    2. all the time
    3. one time
    4. deny access
  5. and some just ask permission to access the resource with no information on whether it is all the time or one time only.
  6. I have encountered cases (mostly older apps I beleive) where the app simply quit or quit with a notice that it was denied access to the resource.
Obviously how this is handled is the app developer's choice but if they have not provided for getting permission the Catalina steps in and doesn't permit the app to run. If you see this happening go back to case 1 to fix the issue. It appears it will be the rare app that does not need at least some tweaking to not run into access issues in Catalina.

The good news is most of those permissions can be easily revoked by the user at any time. The bad news is there are some legacy apps that apparently can get around these permissions — until Apple can figure out how to shut them off and give the developers time to come into line that is.

Edited by joemikeb (07/12/19 01:07 PM)

#52111 - 25 minutes 18 seconds ago Re: Santa Catalina is running for me... [Re: joemikeb]
joemikeb Online

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
In case you ever wondered if Apple Trouble Reports are ever read, I received this email this afternoon…
Originally Posted By: Apple
As a result of your feedback, there are software changes in build 19A512f that have resolved this issue.

Has this issue been fixed for you?

Feedback ID 6525156, App Store Download Hung

Do not reply to this email. Please login to Feedback Assistant to let us know if the problem is fixed for you.

Unfortunately although build 19A512f was released to Developers over a week ago, it has not been released to the Public Beta testers, so I can't tell if the problem has been fixed or not. 🤷‍♂️

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb