FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
another threat to privacy
#51966 07/03/19 09:51 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

IMHO, the Constitution should be amended to insure a right to privacy. Here's the latest (new to me, at least): ‘Fingerprinting’ to Track Us Online Is on the Rise. Here’s What to Do.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: another threat to privacy
jchuzi #51967 07/03/19 10:17 AM

Fingerprinting has already been reported on FTM, but in this instance, there's no such thing as too much.

If all I"ve got to worry about is advertisers, I"m cool; my buying is based only on need...NEVER ads! (OK, I'll confess to succumbing to want every once in a while, but never as a result of advertising.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #51970 07/03/19 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Fingerprinting has already been reported on FTM, but in this instance, there's no such thing as too much.

If all I"ve got to worry about is advertisers, I"m cool; my buying is based only on need...NEVER ads! (OK, I'll confess to succumbing to want every once in a while, but never as a result of advertising.)

I have always thought of you as unique, but you may be the only person I have ever encountered who is completely immune to advertising and sales gimmicks. 👏.

As for me, I have to admit to being an impulse buyer and not completely immune to marketing techniques. Turn me loose in a woodworking store and I will inevitably see something on a display that I never knew I needed and somehow it is in my hand when I get to checkout. While I am less subject to impulse buying on-line more than once I have been roped in by the "often purchased with this item" or "others that bought this item also bought…".

But that is not what bothers me. I am concerned about the aggregate amount of data about me that is out there and ripe for exploitation. From the experiences of family and friends that threat is very very real and potentially disastrous.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52029 07/09/19 08:26 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I have always thought of you as unique, but you may be the only person I have ever encountered who is completely immune to advertising and sales gimmicks. 👏.

There's a philosophical treatise in there, but I'm not prepared to write it yet.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
But that is not what bothers me. I am concerned about the aggregate amount of data about me that is out there and ripe for exploitation. From the experiences of family and friends that threat is very very real and potentially disastrous.

As respects that, I've got all three of my credit files locked (but they're readily un-lockable), plus at least two of my accounts monitor the dark net for mentions of my name.

In addition, my credit history is such that even with my info and 815 credit score you couldn't get any sort of even minimally meaningful credit.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #52030 07/09/19 09:32 AM

I've been successfully stumbling through life using my Dad's fatuous axiom: If you aren't doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about.

What stopped me in my tracks was the fact that anyone I "friended" on Facebook got tarred with my brush. That's when I closed that account and turned my back on social media (though I'll bet all my contacts are still on file) and started paying closer attention.

Thing is, I'm wedded to Google Maps, so my big brother always knows where I am if he needs me.

And, I'm still not doing anything wrong. Honest.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
joemikeb #52031 07/09/19 09:37 AM

Quote:
As for me, I have to admit to being an impulse buyer and not completely immune to marketing techniques.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It just means we have more money and free time than we need.

Plus, Amazon will always know a lot more about me than Facebook or Google ever will.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #52032 07/09/19 10:19 AM

Originally Posted By: freelance
...anyone I "friended" on Facebook got tarred with my brush.

I've never used Facebook, so I'd appreciate your being a bit specific about that.

artie505 #52033 07/09/19 03:14 PM

.....plus at least two of my accounts monitor the dark net for mentions of my name.

What software are you using for this monitoring? I've sometimes thought about doing this but one thought has stopped me - "If my machine has software that is wandering around the dark net looking for references to me, does that software then become a link to me that didn't previously exist?"

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #52034 07/09/19 03:19 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

"Accounts" may mean credit card or bank accounts. My Discover account regularly monitors my identity for issues and sends me reports. Luckily, no nefarious activity has been found. I believe that their monitoring includes the dark web. Obviously, any such surfing does not apply to my computer.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
ryck #52035 07/09/19 03:39 PM

Same as Jon, Discover monitors the dark web for me, but I've also got a second source for that info or, hopefully, lack of info...either Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion, but I don't remember which one.

And like Jon says, there's no connection between the dark web and our Macs.

artie505 #52037 07/09/19 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: freelance
...anyone I "friended" on Facebook got tarred with my brush.

I've never used Facebook, so I'd appreciate your being a bit specific about that.

I'm being glib about guilt by association. When Facebook got hacked, if your account was compromised, then anyone you had friended was also compromised. At least, that's the way I understood it.

Forbes

Facebook

freelance #52038 07/09/19 11:03 PM

Thanks, and thanks for the links.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard