for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Easy Find Leftovers
deniro #51988 07/04/19 05:54 PM

Find Any File may have been free, but it's $6 now on MacUpdate.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #51989 07/04/19 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: freelance

I paid $10 for Find Any File last July.

Oh, well, no big deal, because I found it to be very significantly faster - by a factor of 6 or 7 - than EasyFind in High Sierra.

I deleted EF when I got FAF and have never done a comparison in Mojave.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #51990 07/04/19 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I am considering using Find any File. ...I am just concerned that it might get rid of something it shouldn't. I don't always know what is safe to delete and what isn't, and I always trusted the apps to make the right decision. Now I'm concerned.

The only thing that "gets rid of [anything] it shouldn't" is a USER!

Neither FAF nor EF makes any decisions about what to delete or retain; all they do is tell you what's there, and whether to delete or retain is your decision, and since you've always (I think) been fastidious about "looking before you leap," I don't think either app presents any danger for you.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #51992 07/04/19 11:42 PM

I don't always know what is safe to delete and what isn't, and I always trusted the apps to make the right decision. Now I'm concerned.

You are placing your trust in a leaky vessel if you leave everything up to an app. The best rules-of-thumb are:
  • Don't delete anything unless you have a very recent backup or clone to recover from
  • If in doubt, don't delete it (unless you get a perverse pleasure out of reinstalling apps, OSs, etc.)
  • NEVER touch anything in the System Folder, a hidden folder, or anything that is owned by any user or group other than yourself.
There are Uninstaller apps that generally work pretty well and are reasonably safe to rely on, especially if the developer of the app being deleted follows all the file naming rules and guidelines — unfortunately some don't. But Uninstaller apps are no help with the kinds of files you were looking at.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #51993 07/05/19 12:13 AM

I've never run across an uninstaller that gets rid of any more than the most basic files and folders related to an app.

In recent years, in particular, the OS has created so many underlying files that I doubt that anything could completely delete them other than an app that watched as they were created.

More: Years ago, I tried to follow app installations with fseventer to see precisely what was happening, but it was beyond me.

Last edited by artie505; 07/05/19 01:41 AM. Reason: More

freelance #51994 07/05/19 03:20 AM
OP Offline

I noticed that. Thank you.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #51995 07/05/19 03:24 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
I am considering using Find any File. ...I am just concerned that it might get rid of something it shouldn't. I don't always know what is safe to delete and what isn't, and I always trusted the apps to make the right decision. Now I'm concerned.

The only thing that "gets rid of [anything] it shouldn't" is a USER!

Neither FAF nor EF makes any decisions about what to delete or retain; all they do is tell you what's there, and whether to delete or retain is your decision, and since you've always (I think) been fastidious about "looking before you leap," I don't think either app presents any danger for you.

Right, but you said not to get rid of any thing "system related." I had never checked when I deleted stuff via EasyFind because I didn't know any better. But thankfully it didn't delete any system files, so maybe it's intuitive regarding that kind of thing. From now on I will always check though thanks to you.

Find all Files looks kind of complicated, so I don't think I will be using it anyway.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #51996 07/05/19 03:27 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I don't always know what is safe to delete and what isn't, and I always trusted the apps to make the right decision. Now I'm concerned.

You are placing your trust in a leaky vessel if you leave everything up to an app. The best rules-of-thumb are:
  • Don't delete anything unless you have a very recent backup or clone to recover from
  • If in doubt, don't delete it (unless you get a perverse pleasure out of reinstalling apps, OSs, etc.)
  • NEVER touch anything in the System Folder, a hidden folder, or anything that is owned by any user or group other than yourself.
There are Uninstaller apps that generally work pretty well and are reasonably safe to rely on, especially if the developer of the app being deleted follows all the file naming rules and guidelines — unfortunately some don't. But Uninstaller apps are no help with the kinds of files you were looking at.

OK, thank you. You made me laugh when you said (unless you get a perverse pleasure out of reinstalling apps, OSs,

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #51997 07/05/19 05:22 AM

Right, but you said not to get rid of any thing "system related." I had never checked when I deleted stuff via EasyFind because I didn't know any better. But thankfully it didn't delete any system files, so maybe it's intuitive regarding that kind of thing. From now on I will always check though thanks to you.

Find all Files looks kind of complicated, so I don't think I will be using it anyway.

EasyFind, by developer's intent, makes it difficult to delete stuff that requires authentication, so anything you've ever deleted DIRECTLY from an EF interface has been "kosher" to delete.

I was happy with EF until I realized that it was all of a sudden taking interminably long to complete searches, so I tried FAF on a lark, found that an EF search that took more than a minute to complete took only about 10 seconds for FAF to complete, and I"ve never looked back.

Yeah, FAF is more complicated than EF, but once it's figured and configured, the speed boost is, in my estimation, well worth the effort. (I've got FAF configured to delete system files automatically, so I"ve got to be alert about what I"m doing.)

joemikeb #51999 07/05/19 02:28 PM

Yep. I have rendered my Mac unbootable due to deleting files I shouldn't have. But that was a long time ago. I've learned a lot since then. And I always have my hard drive cloned with Super Duper so I can restore the system.

Hard drives are so much bigger now, so the need to delete garbage files is less. I use Monolingual because it deletes some but not all foreign language files. I use AppCleaner to uninstall programs because I have to use something, and it's free. I've never seen a program on Windows or Mac that deletes all the files related to a program that should be deleted. Additional manual removal is always required. At least on the Mac, the process is more obvious. I bought Tidy Up, which is mainly for deleting duplicates, but in that program I am much more reluctant to delete files, and many of the files it finds cannot be deleted. Even some empty folders are required by the system and cannot be deleted.

With every OS, control has been taken away from the user. I've heard some of the reasons, but generally I'm against this trend.

artie505 #52001 07/05/19 05:52 PM

More: Years ago, I tried to follow app installations with fseventer to see precisely what was happening, but it was beyond me.

Synium Software's CleanApp ($14.99) does that for you so you don't have to. Additionally it keeps track of what supporting files and folders are deleted by other users as a guide to your deletion. I have relied on it for several years and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

DISCLAIMER: I receive no remuneration from Synium Software other than that of being a satisfied purchaser and user of CleanApp and several of their other apps.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #52004 07/05/19 06:19 PM
OP Offline

Yeah, FAF is more complicated than EF, but once it's figured and configured, the speed boost is, in my estimation, well worth the effort. (I've got FAF configured to delete system files automatically, so I"ve got to be alert about what I"m doing.) [/quote]

I'm feeling too lazy to try to figure it out. But I am glad I know about system files now and will watch, like I said, to make sure I don't delete any.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #52005 07/05/19 06:26 PM

But I am glad I know about system files now and will watch, like I said, to make sure I don't delete any.

As long as you're using EasyFind you can't delete a system file without first hitting command-R to get to it's location and then authenticating...awfully difficult to do by accident.

Unlike Find Any File, EasyFind does NOT allow you to delete a system file from its GUI.

deniro #52006 07/05/19 06:28 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: deniro
Yep. I have rendered my Mac unbootable due to deleting files I shouldn't have. But that was a long time ago. I've learned a lot since then. And I always have my hard drive cloned with Super Duper so I can restore the system.

Hard drives are so much bigger now, so the need to delete garbage files is less. I use Monolingual because it deletes some but not all foreign language files. I use AppCleaner to uninstall programs because I have to use something, and it's free. I've never seen a program on Windows or Mac that deletes all the files related to a program that should be deleted. Additional manual removal is always required. At least on the Mac, the process is more obvious. I bought Tidy Up, which is mainly for deleting duplicates, but in that program I am much more reluctant to delete files, and many of the files it finds cannot be deleted. Even some empty folders are required by the system and cannot be deleted.

With every OS, control has been taken away from the user. I've heard some of the reasons, but generally I'm against this trend.

I have an SSD and not a ton of memory (121 flash storage) but probably more than I need. I don't like the trend of losing control either. I used to have a lot of fun changing my icons for Safari, Finder, etc. I don't like the ones they provide. I also don't like that Apple seems to think everyone uses Facebook and has put a ton of files in the computer that I can't delete. It's just aggravating even though they are supposedly not looking at my stuff.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #52007 07/05/19 06:30 PM
OP Offline

But I am glad I know about system files now and will watch, like I said, to make sure I don't delete any.

As long as you're using EasyFind you can't delete a system file without first hitting command-R to get to it's location and then authenticating...awfully difficult to do by accident.

Unlike Find Any File, EasyFind does NOT allow you to delete a system file from its GUI.

Good to know. Saves me some work!!!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #52011 07/06/19 03:00 PM

Thanks for the tip on CleanApp. I bought it. At $15 it's a steal. I wish I had known about it before I sank money into Tidy Up, though Tidy Up is more of a duplicate finder and is better at that task than CleanApp.

joemikeb #52013 07/07/19 07:21 AM

Synium Software's CleanApp ($14.99) does that for you so you don't have to. Additionally it keeps track of what supporting files and folders are deleted by other users as a guide to your deletion.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I, of course, can't be 100% certain that Find Any File finds EVERY supporting file and folder that has been placed by an app I want to delete, but deleting what it finds with app and developer name searches is enough for me:
  • My SSD has got sufficient capacity to not be compromised by 1 or 2 - even 1,000 or 2,000 - items of detritus which, if legitimately placed by apps, will in all likelihood be pretty small.
  • If an app has placed something obscure, I'd like to be aware of it at installation, rather than deletion, time.
  • I keep neurotically close track of additions to ~/Library/Preferences, so I'm aware of everything apps place there. (Years ago, some app or other created ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.plist to keep track of its trial period parameters, and I was on to it instantly.)
  • If I ever feel that an app has placed malware, I'll wipe the volume and restore from a pre-existing clone rather than hope that some app has found all of its components.
It's kind of funny and counter-intuitive that as drive capacities have increased and security has been ramped up (to what some may say are ridiculous heights tongue ), a heretofore unknown paranoia over (most likely minimal) detritus that may be left behind by deleted apps has grown hand in hand with them.

A front end for an fseventer like app that tells users precisely what they've just installed would, indeed, be useful for those who d/l apps from questionable sources - which I NEVER do. (I looked at fseventer out of curiosity rather than perceived need, and that was back when I should have perceived a need. crazy )

I have relied on [CleanApp] for several years and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Unfortunately, though, there's pretty much no way you can be certain that CleanApp has steered you 100% right, which, in its essence, is what it's all about. frown

More: Responding to freelance's question before he even asks it, my impression is that CleanApp knows what to delete but isn't geared tell you before deletion time.

Last edited by artie505; 07/07/19 07:52 AM. Reason: More

joemikeb #52014 07/07/19 07:41 AM

Back in the PPC days, I used an app called Installer Observer. You ran it just before, then after a new install and the app told you exactly where and what had been installed.

Does CleanApp do that? Do you know of any app that does that?

Thanks.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #52016 07/07/19 12:22 PM

More: Responding to freelance's question before he even asks it, my impression is that CleanApp knows what to delete but isn't geared tell you before deletion time.

Your impression is incorrect.
  1. CleanApp shows you a list of the apps currently installed on the boot drive and optionally on other attached drives
  2. when you select a Candidate for deletion it shows a proposed list of the files and folders that will be deleted along with a graph indicating the percentage of other users who have elected to delete that file along with the app.
  3. you can individually choose which files and folders associated with the app you want to delete.
  4. you click the Trash icon in CleanApp,
  5. respond to the "Are you sure" dialogue
  6. enter your administrative password if the app or some of its files are owned by System
only then is any file of folder deleted.

Back in the PPC days, I used an app called Installer Observer. You ran it just before, then after a new install and the app told you exactly where and what had been installed.

Does CleanApp do that? Do you know of any app that does that?

There is a CleanApp daemon that tracks all installations so it knows what files are placed by the installer or in the installation process. Then it uses an algorithm based on file name/extensionf, location, and a historical database of what and where other files associated with the app have been found in other installations to identify additional files created by the app at run time. It does not track or identify data files created by the app.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52017 07/07/19 03:37 PM

Your impression is incorrect.

Actually, no, it was just imprecisely worded.

What I was trying to say is that while CleanApp follows an app's installation as part of its eventual deletion functionality, it isn't geared to show the details of the installation immediately after its occurrence, which is what freelance asked about.

To my mind, CleanApp is selling itself short badly by not giving users immediate access to the info and enabling them to see precisely what they've done immediately upon their having done it. It's a wasted, valuable opportunity to nip trouble in the bud.

There is a CleanApp daemon that tracks all installations so it knows what files are placed by the installer or in the installation process. Then it uses an algorithm based on file name/extensionf, location, and a historical database of what and where other files associated with the app have been found in other installations to identify additional files created by the app at run time. It does not track or identify data files created by the app.

For all of that, how many times has CleanApp led you to delete a file that neither an app name search nor a developer name search would have found, and how, if at all, were you able to verify that the app in question had actually created it? (I'd love to see an example.)

artie505 #52018 07/07/19 04:30 PM

CleanApp doesn't list games. Too bad. I would like to uninstall a game demo.

deniro #52019 07/07/19 04:34 PM

Run your game through Find Any File; hopefully, it will find 100% of it.

artie505 #52020 07/07/19 07:05 PM

What I was trying to say is that while CleanApp follows an app's installation as part of its eventual deletion functionality, it isn't geared to show the details of the installation immediately after its occurrence, which is what freelance asked about.

To my mind, CleanApp is selling itself short badly by not giving users immediate access to the info and enabling them to see precisely what they've done immediately upon their having done it. It's a wasted, valuable opportunity to nip trouble in the bud.

To my knowledge, there is nothing to prevent you from running CleanApp immediately after an installation so you would know what files were installed, but there may be other files created by the app when it is run that CleanApp would not be able to find because they do not yet exist. While CleanApp tracks the files that are installed it does not report WHERE they are installed.

For all of that, how many times has CleanApp led you to delete a file that neither an app name search nor a developer name search would have found, and how, if at all, were you able to verify that the app in question had actually created it? (I'd love to see an example.)

Although I have used CleanApp for several years I have never bothered to check it that closely but I do recall seeing files that were not obvious by either name or extension. I do know that I have used the "deleted by others" as a guide to choosing which files to delete when there have been multiple versions of an app or apps with similar names. No few of those files were NOT automatically flagged by CleanApp for deletion, but in the last few years I generally delete any file found even supporting files files that were found but not automatically flagged for deletion and I have yet to encounter a problem. But that is just my experience and NOT a scientific study of the subject.

Originally Posted By: deniro
CleanApp doesn't list games. Too bad. I would like to uninstall a game demo.

If the game has an executable file and is located in /Applications, ~/Applications or a sub-directory of each it is an app and CleanApp will find and delete it. It will also find and delete Fonts, QuickTime components, screen savers, widgets, internet plugins, kernel extensions, relics, iOS backups, iOS Updates, Log files, temporary files, empty folders, identical files, old files, universal binaries, app data, and language files. AFIK it does not detect workflows or AppleScripts per. se., but those are almost always self contained and easy to delete.

CleanApp is…
  • NOT a panacea
  • NOT perfect
  • NOT faultless
  • NOT the only App delete application on the market
  • NOT the only app deleting tool on my computer
  • the first and IIRC only app removal tool I use
  • the app removal tool I have relied on since the early days of OS X
  • in my opinion the safest app removal tool for the non-technical user

FULL DISCLOSURE

I once again assert that I receive no remuneration of any kind from Synium Software other than being a satisfied purchaser and user of several of their products.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/07/19 07:12 PM. Reason: full disclosure

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #52027 07/09/19 07:17 AM

To my knowledge, there is nothing to prevent you from running CleanApp immediately after an installation so you would know what files were installed, but there may be other files created by the app when it is run that CleanApp would not be able to find because they do not yet exist. While CleanApp tracks the files that are installed it does not report WHERE they are installed.

I think that knowing what I've installed, AND WHERE, before I double-click on it is more important than knowing what dregs it's left behind after I"ve uninstalled it. It doesn't even have to be specific CleanApp functionality; a free standing app that builds on its existing capabilities would be fine.

Am I alone in the perception that it would actually be useful?

Although I have used CleanApp for several years I have never bothered to check it that closely but I do recall seeing files that were not obvious by either name or extension. I do know that I have used the "deleted by others" as a guide to choosing which files to delete when there have been multiple versions of an app or apps with similar names. No few of those files were NOT automatically flagged by CleanApp for deletion, but in the last few years I generally delete any file found even supporting files files that were found but not automatically flagged for deletion and I have yet to encounter a problem. But that is just my experience and NOT a scientific study of the subject.

This may be a rhetorical question, but can you offer any insights into how people are able to determine that files of apparently indeterminate origin are associated with a particular app?

I've d/l'ed the CleanApp demo, and I'll report back if I learn anything helpful.

joemikeb #52039 07/10/19 04:00 PM

CleanApp debunked...

Admittedly skeptical, I d/l'ed the CleanApp demo, OK'd all the options, and examined Excel, which, of my apps, is the one most likely to have planted files all over my SSD, and indeed, CleanApp found many items of seemingly indeterminate origin, such as these.

My immediate take was that CleanApp actually is somehow capable of finding
Quote:
files...hidden in places you wouldn't expect them to be
but I quickly discovered that the paths to many of them included "Excel," so Find Any File et.al. would have found them handily. (The paths that didn't include "Excel" were Microsoft/Office related and were subject to deletion only because Excel is the only Office app I'm running.)

And I was totally put off by the deceptive presentation.

But in keeping with my mission, I hit delete, emptied the trash, and ran a FAF search for "Excel," which returned this.

As you can see, CleanApp did not completely delete Excel's associated files.

And likewise, it failed to find all the components of my other apps.

CONCLUSION: Assuming that my results are representative, which seems like a fair assumption, CleanApp DOES NOT DO THE APP REMOVAL JOB IT PURPORTS TO DO, AND IN THAT RESPECT IT'S AN UNMITIGATED FRAUD!

And the ultimate irony is that after following Synium Software's instructions for uninstalling the demo, Find Any File found this and this.

Talk about adding insult to injury! frown

Apparently, Synium's idea of committing suicide is jumping out of a basement window. tongue

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard