FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cookies Not Working
#51862 06/20/19 12:35 AM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

Have a Mac mini using 10.13.6. On at least half the websites I visit I get a popup asking me to allow cookies. I have allow cookies set in Safari Preferences.

Any ideas why websites are not recognizing that I have 'allow cookies'? Maybe a corrupted .plist or something?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Cookies Not Working
Douglas #51863 06/20/19 12:53 AM

I'm getting those obnoxious pop-ups, some of them discretely small...some ridiculously large, at many websites.

I don't think it has anything to do with my personal prefs, which are the same as yours.

Does anyone know what has spawned them?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #51867 06/20/19 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I don't think it has anything to do with my personal prefs, which are the same as yours.

Does anyone know what has spawned them?

Depends on the site but among the reasons...
  1. Money — one way or another the site and/or host is getting paid to install tracking cookies and collect data
  2. Money — the site is using cookies to see what products you are looking at so it can "suggest" similar items you might be interested in buying. Ie. the on-line version of impulse marketing.
  3. Money — cookies are required to support the site's shopping cart
  4. Money — for many content providers it is the only way they can afford to keep the site open and up to date. (See item 1)
  5. Money — advertisers want to be sure their expensive copy is being seen and not blocked.
Are you seeing the common thread?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Douglas #51868 06/20/19 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Douglas
Any ideas why websites are not recognizing that I have 'allow cookies'?

Your cookie settings are recognized just fine, but ‘supplemented’ by a mandatory notification from web sites you visit. This behavior is the direct result of the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), as detailed HERE and HERE. Removing or withholding the cookie notification (regardless of local settings to allow cookies) for users within the EU violates the GDPR, and because most organizations do not maintain area specific web sites, they aim for maximum compliance everywhere.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #51869 06/21/19 06:52 AM

Thanks for the explanation.

I've seen notifications as big as this thoroughly obnoxious one, and others (none of which, of course, I can locate at the moment) in the range of 5% that size. Have you got any idea what accounts for the difference?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #51873 06/21/19 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Have you got any idea what accounts for the difference?

In a word: no. I can make a few guesses though. For instance, web sites that support providing optimal info to their visitors might opt for more obvious/larger notifications, while those that don’t might want to stick to the lower size limits of the requirement. Alternatively, it could be ‘just’ a web designer’s choice, or simply a software default. Of course, there may be other reasons too.

Apart from this, it’s good to know that the GDPR notification requirement is separate from the actual setting of cookies, regardless of what’s suggested about that in the notification. You can readily see that by having Safari’s Privacy/Manage Website data pref tab open (or the equivalent function in other browsers, if available): from what I’ve observed, cookies get set independently from the user’s response to the notification. It doesn’t matter whether you agree with or just dismiss the notification, your cookie is often set before that choice is even made.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #51878 06/22/19 05:38 AM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
...from what I’ve observed, cookies get set independently from the user’s response to the notification. It doesn’t matter whether you agree with or just dismiss the notification, your cookie is often set before that choice is even made.

That's what I"ve seen too.

I finally found the other notification I was looking for, and here, are the two extremes. 5%? More like 2%, and the smaller one does NOT ask users to agree as does the larger one.

Maybe I haven't paid close enough attention, but I've always thought the EU was more precise about things like this, i.e. I find the extremely wide latitude between the two curious.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard